Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Has anyone used their Epi-Pen? (Read 6256 times)
sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Has anyone used their Epi-Pen?
07/23/13 at 14:01:11

Hi,

I have been thinking about this for a while, and then I saw Redbird's post about the Epi.  I am wondering if anyone has used their Epi-Pen and what happened when you did?  I have had shock-type episodes 6 times now and my heart rate and blood pressure skyrocket and I get shaky and light-headed with a tight throat and trouble swallowing.  I'm just curious what has happened to other people, especially if symptoms are not typical of anaphylaxis?

Thanks!  Sarah

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Has anyone used their Epi-Pen?
Reply #1 - 07/23/13 at 15:12:43

I've used an EpiPen... just once.  It felt like I drank about 50 shots of espresso!  I was SUPER jittery for around 15 minutes.  My heart raced and my legs were so shaky that I could barely walk.  I can see why you might want to avoid it if you get hypertensive during an attack or your heart is not in good shape.  My BP spikes briefly at the beginning, but then it crashes.

In my opinion, it's much better to learn your early warning signs and treat yourself with antihistamines before a reaction gets out of control.  Antihistamines are very safe and they don't make your heart race.  Of course... sometimes you don't get an early warning.  I carry an EpiPen for emergencies.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 07/25/13 at 04:03:27

Ditto everything that Heather (Starflower) posted (except that I have never used an epi). I recognize my early warning signs and grab my meds instead before the problem increases. So far so good, however, if my meds failed to work I would have no choice but to use the epi if I felt that I was about to pass out.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #3 - 07/25/13 at 05:28:40

Hi Sarah,

I ditto Heather and Deborah.  Like you, I get very high BP and tachycardia when I start "my reaction process"....for lack of a better term.

I run for my emergency meds and 99.9% of the time, they work extremely well.  The one time I didn't use my epi and should have was when I reacted to eating and had been on a antibiotic for a few days. I was blue by the time the ambulance came..I had taken all my emergency meds too.  The EMT gave me albuterol by mask and because I was still having trougle, it was repeated a second time. They had the epi ready but I have heart damage from past chemo and I have dysautonomia (POTS) so I wasn't going to let them give it to me unless it was absolutely necessary! When I got to the ER, they gave me my usual IV Pepcid, Steroids and Lorazepan and my reactions stopped.

It's a tough call sometimes.

This is a rather long story, but please bear with me and I hope it will somehow help you.  

I recently had an appointment with Dr. Castells. She is concerned because I no longer have any antibiotics left to take that I haven't had a severe reaction to.  So before I get sick, she wants to have a plan in place.  After a day of food testing, etc. we decided to try the penicillin challenge.  They did a skin prick...no reaction.  They gave me a tiny bit sub Q and my pulse and BP shot up.  After that minor reaction, I was told to drink as much ice water as possible and sleep for awhile. Dr. Castells came back in and asked me if I would like to "take the next step and try 250 mg of penicillin." I asked, "How about 1/4 of that tablet?"  She was absolutely fine with that.  I took the 62.5 mg. and went and sat in the waiting room.  After 15 minutes I looked at my husband and said...."wow..piece of cake"...after 20 minutes I said, "Boy was that easy"....3 minutes later my vision got blurry..hubby ran for the nurse (15 steps away) and I was out cold.  He said Dr. Castells came running, she called the ER doc to come and there were 4 or 5 nurses who all came running.  (I am sure a patient who has passed out can't be too good for business).haaaa  Sorry...have to have a sense of humor sometimes!  What better place to have a reaction than in the presence of one of the best doctors ever!!  

The really interesting thing is that once this reaction started, my vitals were pretty normal the whole time I was 'out' (so I was told).  After sleeping for awhile and drinking lots more cold water, Dr. C asked me to come to her office.  This is what she told me, "You did NOT have an anaphylactic reaction."  What????  Are you kidding me???  Then what did I have???  She simply said, "You can not process antibiotics"....she added something about damaged pathways (I need to listen to the tape I recorded again).

She asked if I had ever used my epi in that situation, and I said, "No".  She said, "Good, you shouldn't have".  Only use your epi if you can't breathe and your throat is swelling shut.  She assured my husband that I was never in danger...He said, "I wasn't worried, this was nothing compared to what I usually see".   hummmm  Sometimes it nice to be the one unconscious! haaa

I do have times I can not swallow, but I can still breathe.  So I just take more meds if I need to.  I am not sure if this helps or makes it more confusing. But for me it does bring into 'play' the concept of enzyme pathways and possible damage...and with Dr. Castells comment, I think this is something that is being studied a lot.

Personally I think these are future conversations that will need to take place at some point. As far as connecting them with mast cell reactions....I have yet to research any connection but am anxious to do so.

I am going back to Dr. Castells in a couple months and we will try different pre-medication regiments for me to use at home or when I am hospitalized  (when I need an antibiotic).  

This 'all' came about because last summer when I was hospitalized with diverticulitis, they gave me sooo many meds to keep me from reacting, I left the hospital with a pulse of 38, 14 pounds of water weight and pneumonia. And they only treated me for 5 days and not the 10 days they were supposed to.  That's never going to happen again!

This isn't directed at you Sarah, it's directed toward every mast cell patient out there.... It is critical to have a plan in place at a [medical facility...it honestly could save your life.  I have an ER plan and ambulance plan in place and am determined to have a hospital one is place as well!

End of story (speech)!  Sorry!

Hope this somehow helps!

take care....hugs, Lynda

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/29/13 at 16:41:30

Thank you for the replies.  I was really curious because it seems like each major reaction I have to food gets worse each time.  I am on a very restricted diet and am trying to increase the amount of foods I eat.  It's not going so well adding new foods, but I feel good if I stick with the ones I've been eating.  Lynda--I can't swallow with reactions either, but have been able to breathe.  There was one time when I made dinner and the smell of the cooking after about 1.5 hours made my larynx swell.  I could barely talk, my voice was so hoarse.  I started feeling a little short of breath, and my dog was howling at me.  I didn't have any other symptoms though.  It was so strange.  I took Benadryl and went to the ER.  They told me when they heard my voice I should have used the Epi, but I just don't know.  I ended up needing to take the prednisone to make the symptoms stay away.  I hope everyone is doing well and thanks again Smiley  Sarah

IP Logged

Jennifer R.
Tutor

I am not a mushroom!
McAlester, OK
Reply #5 - 08/09/13 at 18:24:56

I had a time when my reactions were getting worse and worse and had to use my epi twice in one week. I inject as soon as I know the symptoms are in the danger zone, no fooling around.  It sounds like maybe either you need better day to day management of your daily meds or you need to back off adding foods for now and let your body rest.

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 08/12/13 at 13:29:58

Hi Jennifer--How did it go when you used the Epi, and what were your symptoms if you don't mind me asking?  I have been eating the SAME foods since March and have been doing well with that, besides the frustration Cry  I have just recently been trying small bites of things, and if it doesn't go right, I stop (it usually doesn't go well when I try something new right now).  Thanks!  Sarah

IP Logged

Jennifer R.
Tutor

I am not a mushroom!
McAlester, OK
Reply #7 - 08/12/13 at 13:50:25

I always start with itching all over my head that spreads to my face and upper body, itching and swelling in my throat, puffiness of my face, feeling super weak and shakey.  Then when I took the epi I got a hot flush all over like using niacin. The epi really open up your capillaries so a heat to toe flush makes sense. And then I started feeling a lot better.  Never felt like it upped my heart rate by I was lying down.

IP Logged

donnarenee0529
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 11/06/13 at 09:51:04

I actually have lots of experience in this....I've had 8 episodes and have had to give myself the epi shot on 6 out of the 8 times. The last two times, I had to give a second shot before arriving at the doctor's office, and then he gave me another after I arrived.

So, needless to say, I have a ton of experience in this area.

I go straight to stage three within minutes of onset. I turn red on my chest and my throat swells shut within 10 minutes. This has been my experience with the epi:

As soon as the shot goes in, within 30 seconds, the swelling in my throat subsides dramatically. Within 2 minutes, my whole body shakes uncontrollably. Talking is almost impossible because of the shaking. Within five minutes, I become physically exhausted and can't hold my eyes open, but cannot sleep because the shaking is still too bad. I start to get cold and by around 10 minutes, the shaking subsides. The remainder of the day is spent sleeping, and the next day, my entire body feels like I was ran over with a Mac truck.

Hope this helps you....and I know it's scary, but if your breathing is starting to be compromised, take the shot. At least that's my opinion because of how fast I progress during an attack.

Donna

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 11/07/13 at 10:58:19

Thanks Donna.  That is very helpful.  I had the Epi-Pen in my hand the other night and went to the ER.  I already get the shakes without taking it, so I can just imaging how that would be.  

Heather and Deborah--I have a question for you both.  I used to feel throat swelling early on and I could take Benadryl and stop the reaction from progressing.  Now that I'm on Singulair and my Flovent inhaler that I swallow for the esophagitis, I feel like I don't get the early warning symptoms.  My heart will start skipping a little maybe, but my throat doesn't bother me and then it will be super swollen suddenly.  I'm not sure how to manage that.  I see the mast cell doctor at Mayo in 4 days, so maybe he can help?  I feel like my symptoms change when I add a medication or take more of it.  Have either of you had this happen?
Thanks--Sarah

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #10 - 11/08/13 at 05:36:57

My symptoms have changed over time, but I feel like I usually have more "warning" than I used to, which gives me more time to treat myself.  I've also become much better at avoiding triggers, pre-medicating when I can't avoid something, staying calm, and recognizing the very early signs that I'm in danger (like feeling oddly disconnected).  I haven't needed an Epipen since 2009 Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 11/09/13 at 05:00:39

starflower you are soooo lucky ...most of the time when I have one of those "do I need epi moments" it is just there with no warning...you are one lucky dude...much love to you
redbird

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 11/09/13 at 13:40:42

That makes sense.  I try to avoid triggers, but I think that is the hardest adjustment for me.  I went from normal to this so quickly.  Sometimes when I feel good, I think I'll be okay doing a lot of things, and sometimes I am, and then other days, it just hits me.  I suppose it takes a while to really get a handle on how to deal with this.  It's so hard because I just want to BE and FEEL normal.  I miss it so much.  

That disconnected feeling, I totally get that too.  It's weird because sometimes my vision gets weird and I feel like I see things really fast or my vision kind of goes in and out.  It's hard to explain.  All I know is, you have ALL helped me so much to figure out how to deal with this.  I don't know what I'd be doing if I hadn't been lead to this forum.  I do know that no one would make up the symptoms we have, and I can't believe doctors actually think someone would have these symptoms as a result of anxiety.  In my 11 years of nursing, I've never had one patient with anxiety have these symptoms, especially the food issues.   Thank you all for all of your help!  --Sarah

IP Logged

frugalmama
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 11/11/13 at 08:06:33

It's very interesting that Dr. Castells said that. I have used my epi twice (I should have been using it more), but I have never had throat swelling.  I do, however, have very sudden onset symptoms including: nausea, severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, headache, flushing/burning, itching, tachycardia, etc. I'm usually burning up when this happens, and then all of a sudden I become freezing cold and start to shake.  I now know that when that happens, my BP is tanking and I need to epi.  When I had originally expressed to my immunologist that I was hesitant to use the epi since I had always been fine before, she looked at me like I was nuts and said "One time it isn't going to be fine".  My understanding is that if you are experiencing tachycardia and your BP is tanking (due to a reaction), you can go into cardiovascular collapse very quickly.

I will also say that using the epi made a huge difference for me.  Usually one of these big reactions would have me nearly bed-bound for a couple of days, whereas I rebounded very quickly after using the epi. It got rid of nearly all of the residual symptoms from the episode, which normally would have hung around for days.

When I was in the ER after the first epi, the doctor noticed that when I spoke I sounded like I had a terrible cold and my voice kept cutting in and out.  He pointed out that was part of the reaction, and was evidence that it was actually affecting my throat (which I'd never really noticed before).

IP Logged

CrystalG
Tutor

If you are at peace, you
are living in the present

Maine
Reply #14 - 12/04/13 at 15:31:00

Sarah I have used epi, either given it by the paramedics or to myself, over 20 times. I echo everyone else as most of the time I am able to notice the early signs and take lots of Benadryl before they get worse, but sometimes it just goes so fast that epi is my only option. Sometimes I need 4 epi's to get me out of it. When I have the epi my heart does race and I feel very shaky and weak. I do notice that the swelling goes down with in the first 30 seconds to a minute like Donna talks about. Frugalmama my throat doesn't swell either, although it gets scratchy and harder and harder to talk. My lungs swell though and it gets harder and harder to breathe and I have all of the other symptoms that you do as well. I was told by one to many ER doctors that I should use the epi when it starts affecting my breathing. I am at the point now when I can feel my lungs starting to swell and that's when I use it. I saw Dr. Castell's a year ago and she told me that I didn't have anaphylaxis, that I had angioedema. I have seen Dr. Greenberger a few times and he believes it is anaphylaxis from mast cell activation syndrome. Either way, as soon as the flushing, tachycardia, abdominal pain and swelling starts getting worse, I will always use my epi. I think it's better to be safe than sorry in my opinion and most ER doctors will tell you this. I totally can relate Sarah, my world turned completely upside down two years ago when all of this suddenly started. It has been a huge adjustment and this site has helped me a lot too. Hang in there!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print