Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does anyone have a contact email for Dr. Terry Chin (Read 4096 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Does anyone have a contact email for Dr. Terry Chin
07/06/13 at 12:20:42

So I was so excited to go to see Dr. Afrin. After setting finances etc. straight with my family,  I was ready to make my appointment with him on Monday. Come to find out, his clinic is no longer excepting new patients as of yesterday Cry.  He mentioned Dr. Chin. Although he has never met him or spoken with him, one of his patients went to him and Dr. Afrin saw his notes. He said that he seems to know what he is doing. I was hoping I could email him to tell him my "story" to see if he thought he could help.
I received a fax for all the information required to see the docs in Boston, but it doesn't seem that I will fit the bill. They want a documented masto diagnosis. But I have autoimmune urticaria and believe fully that I have MCAS. I wrote Dr. Castells. Waiting to hear back from her!
« Last Edit: 07/07/13 at 06:37:13 by Britt »  

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Does anyone have a contact email for Dr. Terry Chin
Reply #1 - 07/11/13 at 13:40:23

So I spoke with Dr. Chin's office, and nurse, and he is willing to see me!! Cheesy he sent me a scan of the tests he wants me to have done prior to coming.
Meanwhile, today I went to an  appointment with new allergist my general practitioner had referred me to. I told her a discombobulated story of my symptoms, and she didn't roll her eyes at me! She did make the comment that "I'm not sure the symptoms you are having have anything to do with the autoimmune urticaria, but it could be" (so at least she has a somewhat open mind) she also said that it sounded like mastocytosis, but with a normal tryptase (which was done last August at UC Davis), it couldn't be masto. That's when I tried to talk to her about MCAS, and realized that she did not know the difference between MCAS and masto.
She was not totally familiar with the tests Dr. Chin wrote up, so she was going to do some research since she didn't know how to write them up on a lab sheet.
She said she also had a few more things she wanted to look into given my symptoms   Huh.
BUT, she did write me a prescription for gastrocrom, which I'm floored by. I didn't think I'd see that brought up as a possibility until I saw Dr. Chin.
But, as always, I'm afraid to try it! (Not that I have even turned in the prescription to the drug store yet, lol)
She wrote 100mg/5ml (liquid)
2 teaspoons 4 times a day, but she said to start out at 2 per day. Does this sound right? I've never engaged in a conversation about gastrocrom on this forum since it has been foreign to me.
Is it a hard drug to go on? I usually have a really hard time with new meds. I told her I also had a diagnosis of bipolar type 2 and she did say there are warnings on gastrocrom about effecting mood, depression, anxiety, irritability etc. Sad has anyone had problems like this?
Any ideas on what to expect? Is name brand better than generic? Can I get it without dyes etc? Cheesy
Thanks all!!!!

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #2 - 07/11/13 at 19:04:14

gHey Brigitte,

Again, I just want to say how happy I am that you are able to see Dr. Chin.  I am also happy to hear you may have found a local allergist to help you!  That will be awesome!

I have a question about your Gastrocrom prescription. Does your prescription read 2 teaspoons?  Normally the dose is 100mg/5mL, and most patients are prescribed 1 vial 4x a day and then we work up to 2 vials 4x a day (I still only take 6 or sometimes 7 a day). Would you let us know which form your Gastrocrom comes in? We were just discussing on the Ketotifen thread about Gastrocrom possibly being made up as a liquid now (not in vials). It would be less expensive.  Just curious...ok?

I think you are like many of us when it comes to new meds.  I started on this super super slow.  I put the vial in 16 oz. of water (not 8 oz) and only took one teaspoon every hour.  I still had some dizziness and tachycardia.  But it was well worth going super slow as it has some great properties.  OK?  If you need any help, there are several on here who have had similar experiences.  But don't give up easily (unless of course you have a life threatening reaction!).  Like always, our mast cells don't like anything foreign in our bodies...and that includes any medications.  I don't have to tell you that right????haaa I think you have had enough experience with that!  But take it slow and easy....it doesn't matter how fast you get up to the recommended dose, it just matters that you can get those mast cells stabilized and feel better.

I have not had any side effect like mood changes, etc.  If anything, it has calmed me down and made me more relaxed.  To me that makes a lot of sense since my mast cells are no longer partying at my expense! haaa   I hope you will find a similar experience.  

As far as I know, there isn't a generic.  I believe there is a powder form but I have only heard of one person on this forum who uses it that way.  That is why I was questioning if your script was teaspoons or vials.  the vials have nothing in them except the medication and water.  Yea!!!  

Keep us posted. Smiley Take care....Hugs, Lynda

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 07/12/13 at 07:19:16

Thanks Lynda! It seems as though she ordered me liquid gastrocrom that you measure out yourself. But we'll see when I take it to the pharmacist. I asked if she had ever prescribed gastrocrom to a patient, and she said, yes, in residency. So this is not typical for her. But I didn't even bring it up. It was her idea.
I pray that I have the same reaction to this med as you have Lynda! I could certainly use some calming down! That would be a dream come true. My body is often stuck in the feeling of an adrenaline rush, which doesn't make me the most pleasant person to be around! Lol and certainly not fun always feeling this way Tongue
I will let y'all know how the gastrocrom comes when I pick it up. I'm wondering if I should drop it at a compounding pharmacy or a regular pharmacy. The doctor put no preservatives on the prescription.
I think I'm going to start waaayyyy slower than she even said.
I'll be coming back to the forum for advice  Wink
I will fish around on the site, but what are some of the positive/negative effects that could happen from this drug? Huh
« Last Edit: 07/12/13 at 10:35:54 by Britt »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print