Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Compounded Ketotefin Patients? (Read 4670 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Compounded Ketotefin Patients?
06/28/13 at 10:36:48

Dr. Afrin wants me to try this med.  Is anyone on it?  I cannot find it by doing a search.  I may be doing a search incorrectly.

He said that in the US, this drug needs to be compounded, but that in other countries it is more available.

Is anyone on this med in the United States? Is it helping you.

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Re: Compounded Ketotefin Patients?
Reply #1 - 06/29/13 at 16:37:26

Hi Futurehope,

I started on the Ketotifen about a month ago.  As with most of us, I had trouble with some side effects so I had to back off and start with a really small dose.  The recommendation I was given was to take 1 mg/mL daily.  I ordered the liquid form of the compounded med and I started with only 2 drops in 16 oz. of water.  I have worked up from there to 9 drops twice a day with very few side effects.  As with most meds, I tend to get dizzy and have tachy if I take too much at once.  I am estimating that 1 mL is about 24 drops.

All in all, I found this med to be much easier to work up to an optimal dose, especially as compared to the cromolyn (which took me several months just to get to half the recommended dose).

For the patients who can tolerate this med, it is a much better stabilizer (according to the mast cell experts) than the cromolyn and the side effects are fewer...not to mention the cost!!  My cromolyn is about 1200.00 a month and the Ketotifen is 23.00 a month. NO comparison if you are paying out of pocket or have a  large co-pay.

I feel like a new person on this med.  I have energy, sleep better and have fewer reactions on a daily basis.  I still react, but not nearly as severe as before.  It is supposed to make you sleepy so they recommend you take it before bed.  I get "wired" when I take it and could clean my whole house at night!  Cheesy

I personally am not comfortable ordering meds from different countries.  I am sure others who are more knowledgeable would disagree, but I prefer to order where I can talk directly to the pharmacist and use him/her as a resource when necessary.

Myself and many others use Clark's Pharmacy in Bellevue, WA.  The compounding pharmacist is excellent and will give you a half hour or more of his time explaining about this particular medication.  It has been used in other countries successfully and with very few side effects for 40-50 years in children with asthma.  Because there are not enough people who use the drug, the pharmaceutical companies will not make it in the US because they can't make enough money off of it (this is my understanding anyway).  

Call the pharmacy and ask for Mark.  He will take all the time you need and answer any questions or concerns you have about this med.  He makes it in only the pure form....I have mine compounded in liquid because the raw form of the drug is water soluble and it is JUST mixed with distilled water.

If you have any other questions...please feel free to ask.

Here is the information:

Clark's Pharmacy
15615 Bel Red Road
Bellevue, WA 98008
phone: 425-881-0222
Fax:425-885-1213

For your convenience, they will also send you their email address so you can email your prescription refills in....nice  Wink

Hope this helps.  Hugs, Lynda

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #2 - 06/30/13 at 23:53:50

You are very helpful Lynda, and I appreciate it.  I am assuming that the pharmacy in question in WA will ship it to my home?  I wonder why the hot weather does not destroy this drug in transit?  I am on the east coast.

If you are willing to share, what dose of this compounded drug are you on, and how frequently is it taken?  Thanks.   Also, my script begins at 1 mg/day, so how would I translate "drops" to milligrams?  How would I know how much I am taking if it is in drops?

Lynda,  Do you also take another H1 in addition to this med?  Also, do you take an H2?   If so, what are your doses?  TIA

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #3 - 07/03/13 at 05:53:48

Yes, the pharmacy will ship it right to your home.  I have most of my medications compounded and so they are shipped on a regular basis.  I assume if there would be any problem as far as weather conditions, the pharmacist would arrange something different. It would seem the liquid could have more problems (I don't worry about the capsules), but since the Ketotifen is water soluble it would maintain the same chemical "state" only it would be wet. (Some chemist may certainly correct me if I am wrong about this).   Smiley

I need to refer back to my tape recorded message to listen to what exactly was said to me concerning the dosage of this medication.  I don't know if I was given "The" so called normal dosage for my weight or if it was what this doctor feels should be "enough" for all mast cell patients. I will check on that soon and PM you, OK?  

Like you, I have been prescribed 1 mg/mL twice a day.  I am now taking 1/2 mL in the morning and 1/2 mL at night.  It has a 12 hour half life so in my opinion I am covered well for 24 hours.  

As far a the measurment, they will send a syringe if you choose to use the liquid form.  I filled the syringe to the 1 mL line and then counted the drops as I put them back into the bottle.  I get between 20-24. I should probably do this several times to get the mean (average) more exact.  So I just put 11 or 12 drops in a bottle of water and drink it.  If you tolerate the med well, then you would just have to measure out the 1 mL.  I hope that makes sense.

I do not take any other H1's because I haven't been able to tolerate any.  I have tried all different ones both compounded and OTC.  I don't tolerate benedryl at all. So I am grateful I can take this because it does have the H1 in it...and possibly that is why my symptoms are so much better now.  I do take Pepcid daily.  I take 80-120 mg a day.  This seems like a lot, but Dr. Afrin said that was ok.  I only take the extra 20-40 mg if I have a lot of stomach pain.  For some reason the cromolyn (I take 6-7 vials a day) does not help the stomach pain and the Ketotifen doesn't either (at least so far).

I hope this helps!!  I wish you the very best in getting this med on board!  It's so tricky for us to sneak these meds in "under the radar" so our mast cells don't catch on!! Grin Grin

Take care....hugs, Lynda

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #4 - 07/09/13 at 13:01:31

Lynda,

It seems us two are the only ones trying out ketotifin?

Anyhow, I contacted Mark.  I told them to fill the script Monday.  They told me today (Tuesday) that they would not begin compounding it until tomorrow. That won't do for me as I will be away when it arrives here.

I am not used to delays since other meds are not compounded and obtained more quickly.   So, I told them to hold off mailing it until next Tuesday, more than a week from when I ordered them.  I am going to try the capsules.

I had no idea that they do not take insurance?  Oh well. I need to try to feel better and I am willing to try this.  I hope it does something beneficial.

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #5 - 07/10/13 at 09:25:19

Hey Lynda. This lady in this youtube video and a person in the comments is saying you can get sodium cromonlyn formulated at pharmacys for $50 or even less for a month's supply vs the 20 times higher cost of the name brand.

Ever heard of that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7Aog_Mfcoow#t=143s

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 07/10/13 at 17:03:42

I know that there are a number of people who have at least tried ketotifen, as there was a discussion when I started on it almost two years ago. I started out with opening a 2 mg capsule and taking a tiny amount, but I fairly quickly worked up to a full 6 mg in the evening (I take it all at once.) It helped to calm down my GI symptoms and in general helped my overall reactivity, especially itching. I have been taking it ever since. I just have Clark's ship me out a 3 month supply 4 times a year. I wouldn't mind finding it cheaper, but it helps enough I will keep taking it.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #7 - 07/11/13 at 17:58:46

Hope, did you check with your insurance company to see if they will cover the Ketotifen?  Both of the compounding pharmacies I use also do not submit my compounded meds to my insurance company. I just figured they knew that they wouldn't be covered anyway and that's why they didn't.

Then I called my insurance co. and asked them if they would cover them and they said all I had to do was send in the receipts (and fill out the request). Now they cover most of them. (I haven't sent in the Ketotifen yet however).  

Also, if you need some help getting them covered, I know Dr. Afrin would write a letter for you stating that this is medically necessary.  He has been trying to work with the insurance companies of his patients so they better understand how cost effective this is to do for mast cell patients!!

Hope this helps..... Hugs, Lynda

p,s, I usually order mine 1-2 weeks in advance. I do remember that once it was sent from WA I think it only took a day to get here (i am in WI)

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #8 - 07/11/13 at 18:10:03

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the heads up.  Have you tried this?  I am wondering where the pharmacies can even get the basic ingredient.  Any ideas?

I have heard that there is a powder you can buy for about 65.00 a month but it has lactose monohydrate in it (which is a big trigger for me).  I am sure there would be many who could use it however.  I am wondering if this is what they are referring to in the You Tube video??

I hope your post is read a lot because this is important. I can see many not being able to afford it and thus not even having the chance to try it.  It's great that the company itself is willing to help pay for the cost of this med.

Thanks again for the good information.  Lynda

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #9 - 07/11/13 at 18:18:54

Hi Susan,

It's interesting that it helped stop your itching and overall reactivity.  I would say the exact same thing!  I haven't had any itching for the last two or three weeks or that burning and stinging sensation I sometimes get.

I am only taking 1/2 a mL in the a.m. and p.m.  I find I get really hyper on it so I will probably start taking it just in the morning.  Do you feel it covers you until the next night?  Or do you get some breakthrough symptoms closer to the time you take it?

That's a great idea to get the 3 month supply at a time. Thanks for the info.  Hugs, lynda

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #10 - 07/11/13 at 18:35:26

Just to clarify my response to Bruce.  Since I didn't state the name of the medication in the You Tube Video, we are talking about Gastrocrom and not Ketotifen when we talked about finding a less expensive form of this medication.

Since we were talking about Ketotifen in the posts prior and after, I just wanted to make certain others understood we are talking about  Gastrocrom in this post.

Sorry if there is any confusion.

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 07/12/13 at 18:14:58

Lynda, I am assuming the ketotifen covers me the whole 24 hours. The pharmacist at Clark's told me to take it at night, as most people get sleepy with it. Funny you get wired, but I am the same with other drugs, having the opposite of the expected reaction. Anyway, I think it was Mark (Clark's) that suggested I could take the whole dose at one time. I really haven't had the itching since I started on the full dose. Before that, I had years of rashing and itching that never went away, and I was getting scarring on my arms. I rarely have itching now.

My gut is a different matter, but that is probably where I am most reactive, and where a biopsy showed increased mast cells. But I am still much better than I was before starting treatment. I didn't even know how bad my GI symptoms where until they started improving. It took some time to bring my reactivity levels down, and I take H1, H2, ketotifen, and Singular to keep things mostly under control. Each med controls a certain group of symptoms, so I pretty much know what to take when things get bad. I take Benedryl sometimes, too, but so far I have made it through without doing Epi, though there are times maybe I should have.

I do know I would be reluctant to stop the ketotifen at this point. Wish they would bring it into the country so it didn't have to be compounded, but at least it is available.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print