Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in iron supplement? (Read 4615 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in iron supplement?
06/17/13 at 15:17:36

I'm just a posting maniac this week! Sorry for all the jabber! I've just been very "active" for the past couple of weeks and I'm trying to settle things down some. I went out and bought the keototifen eye drops! I'll try "a drop" tonight just to see what happens.
Anyways, I'm wondering if part of my problem is switching up the brands of the vitamin and mineral supplements I take.
I found Twinlabs, which is a generally sal free vitamin brand. I was so excited I ditched my other stuff (iron, B6, and D3) and bought everything in this brand. Maybe not such a good move? It's the only thing I have drastically changed lately. I have also been taking Epsom salt baths, so I may lay off those.
Anyways, to get to my question, I am anemic and have very low (practically zero) ferritin without an iron supplement. I used kroger generic slow release iron for years. Then when they reformulated, I used walgreens generic which was the same ingredients. Now they've reformulated and I can't tolerate them.
I've tried regular iron (non slow release) and even found it in the Twinlabs, but I think it's making me sick.
Ok, ok, my question. The only slow release brand I can find without all the dyes and freaky fillers is Mason's Slow Release Iron, BUT, it has sodium lauryl sulfate as an ingredient. I thought that was strange. Before I order it, can anyone tell me if they've had bad reactions to this ingredient (I know it's in most shampoos and is bad for your hair Cheesy) but what about ingesting it?
Thank you!

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in iron supplement?
Reply #1 - 06/18/13 at 10:11:06

I'm sorry I've been hogging the forum lately Undecided...just hoping to bounce some ideas off you all! This forum is a Godsend!!
So I told you how I dropped my other vitamins for a sal free brand (Twinlabs) Well I think that's what got me sick. Really sick. My arms were so sore I could barely move them, I was throwing up, my stomach was a mess, mouth sores, headache, dizzy blah blah blah. One of the sickest few weeks I've had.
So I stopped taking the Twinlabs yesterday and I am finally starring to feel better. I wanted to post the inactive ingredients to see what may have been causing the problem. I went back to an old thread about sulfates and it got me wondering (which would put the iron with sodium lauryl sulfate I was asking about put of the question)
Anyway, here's the ingredients
Iron: (ferrous fumarate)
Potato starch, gelatin, croscarlellose sodium, magnesium stearate, medium chain triglycerides
Vitamin d:
Potato starch, rice bran defatted extract, gelatin, silica, medium chain triglycerides
Niacin:
Gelatin, cellulose, purified water, medium chain triglycerides, silica and vegetable stearic acid

So those are the ingredients. Not sure if they all made me sick or just one. But I think that they all did.  Angry

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 06/19/13 at 01:50:43

The problem is that no one can say if even one of these ingredients could trigger you. With mast cell disease, we all react differently to different things. For example, you are going salicylate free, but others have no problems with that. I have no idea what ingredient that even is and thus I obviously don't avoid it. Yet I do fine, which shows how different we are. Another example, I get a rash from taking a benedryl pill. Almost no one else that reaction, except for one other person on this forum that I know of. Yet, that is how I react even though Benadryl is a rescue med for most mast cell people.

So it might be very hard to decide for yourself if a particular ingredient in a vitamin bothers you. Generally it's a trial and error thing. I would be more concerned with your daily foods, beverages, surroundings, and lifestyle. Examine those and see what is triggering you in those categories.

Oh, and you know I am going to say it, because I've said it before: you are not on enough daily preventative meds.... Wink

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 06/19/13 at 04:14:25

Thanks Deborah! I am going to step up my meds. Yesterday I took more Smiley
As far as triggers, I know we're all different. Too hard to tell. I'm not sure that I am completely salicylate intolerant, I know that many things with sals get me, and some things that get me are sal free. So I'm not going to peg myself as sal sensitive.
Off to take me meds! I'm going to try 2 Zyrtec and 2 Zantac at one this morning Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print