Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Deborah - Forum Host - What Foods Can You Eat? (Read 2152 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Deborah - Forum Host - What Foods Can You Eat?
05/16/13 at 09:14:07

I was looking at your list of foods in the thread about identifying food triggers.  Many of the foods in your list I react to as well.  

The problem is, what foods are safe for you to eat?  All I can think of is that you must eat a lot of fresh fish for your protein. You listed beef, pork, shellfish and some fish as no good for you.

How do you get enough calories in?  I've cut out many of the foods that bother me, and then I drop weight too fast which creates a host of problems for me.

What foods are safe for you?  Just curious if you don't mind sharing.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Deborah - Forum Host - What Foods Can You Eat?
Reply #1 - 05/16/13 at 11:31:24

A few thoughts while you're waiting for Deb's response...

1) You don't need as much protein as you might think

2) There are lots of non-meat sources of protein!  For example: eggs, beans, lentils, quinoa, whole grains, nuts, seeds, tofu, etc...  Hummus (chickpea puree flavored with garlic, sesame, and lemon juice) makes a nice dip for vegetables.

3) High-calorie foods help keep the weight on Smiley  Nuts and seeds are great for this purpose.  A can of full-fat coconut milk has 800 calories (I kid you not) and makes a delicious smoothie when blended with frozen fruit and a little milk.  If you can't tolerate dairy, my favorite alternatives are soy and almond milk.

4) While not a protein, oils (olive, almond, walnut, flax, etc...) are high in calories and can be added to a lot of foods without really changing the taste.  Coconut oil is a healthy fat that's very high in calories... and it's awesome to bake and fry with.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 05/16/13 at 15:45:55

Well, I can eat gobs of chocolate! LOL Wink Actually, I really can! When I was first ill, I couldn't eat anything. Literally could not eat A THING. That lasted about 4 -6 weeks until I started getting a tad bit better. I was a normal weight for my height and slim, but I lost 20 pounds in a month. That wasn't good. Once I identified a handful of safe foods, I had to force myself to eat a tiny bit at intervals throughout the day, and I had to add chocolate in because I honestly couldn't maintain my weight. One day without forcing myself to eat and to eat some chocolate candy, would result in me losing 1 or 2 pounds that day. My doc was so worried about me that he had me come to his office once every week to be weighed and checked out. (I was still undiagnosed then.)

So, what did I learn that I can eat safely? Now I can eat tons of things (to my detriment, because now I need to lose some weight!). My safe foods, however, remain the same now as they did then. So, if I am in a triggered state, I can eat the following:

Toast (only white bread). Butter on it is fine.
White steamed rice. (If really triggering, the rice has to be minute rice, because it is lighter and less dense than regular rice for me).
Chicken broth - no seasoning.
Plain chicken
Water
graham crackers

I came up with some strange combinations when I was really ill, but they worked:
1. Rather than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I made a banana and grape jelly (Allfruit or Polaner brand, no sugar or artificial sweeteners added) sandwich from white bread.

That is about it for my safest foods. The only drink I can have when triggering is water.

Now I can eat tons of foods, although I still avoid everything on my original list that you read in my early forum post. Protein wise, I just didn't get a lot of protein, as you can see. now I can eat a hamburger, but will totally get ill from  steak or even a pork chop. The reason? My theory is that my version of mast cell disease (IA - Idiopathic Anaphylaxis, which is a type of MCAS), just doesn't let my body easily digest a lot of food types, such as steak. Yet, the hamburger has been ground up small and I assume that my body can handle digesting that. I also cannot easily digest vegetables and fruits.

So, while I feel rather well now (not perfect, but so good for a mast cell person), I stay that way by avoiding so many of the healthy foods.That really stinks, of course. Luckily, I can eat some veggies just fine now, and others in small doses. I don't eat spices at all, and that is not a big deal to me. Of course, I don't even taste any alcohol. Having IA, I have to avoid the obviously dangerous foods!

To sum it up, though, I seem to be able to eat carbs and starches (not veggie starches like corn, though). To add or maintain weight, I used to try to eat some candy or something with sugar in it.

Does this help give you some ideas?

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #3 - 05/17/13 at 04:49:18

You had some nice caloric choices there with the banana and jelly and chocolate.

Those items would cause me severe heartburn.

Well, I see that I will have to improvise with some nuts (heartburn), or who knows what to satisfy my caloric needs.

It is not easy if my main problems right now are severe heartburn and severe bladder burn if I eat the wrong things.

I am again wondering if Dr. Afrin has me diagnosed correctly as MCAS? My worst symptoms are POTS, severe heartburn and severe bladder burn.  The last two symptoms definitely come from foods as well as other externals like stress.

The POTS, and orthostatic intolerance issue, along with the labile blood pressure,  ??????, I have no idea where thay come from.

Anyhow, I do appreciate all the typing you did to give me some hints.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print