Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any ideas for headache remedy?? (Read 2457 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Any ideas for headache remedy??
05/14/13 at 13:05:55

Just enjoying reading red bird's writings...... So for like a week I've been feeling terrible. Sooo tired, constant low grade headache, as well as a low grade sore throat. I've really been trying to pay attention to salicylates (mostly focusing on my personal items like lotions etc) of which I only used to look for frangrance free. Now I need to focus on food. I know almonds are high in salicylates, so is fair to assume almond milk is also high in sals? It's really just a good hunch that sals bother me. Fragrant flowers gets me, ANYTHING with a frangrance, herbal remedies and drinks etc. So my main point for posting is to ask if anyone has any idea what to use for a headache if you suspect sal intolerance. I know asprin is an obvious no no (I haven't taken one in years! I should just try it to see what happens Huh) but I live on Advil, and after a lot of reading, Advil should be avoided if sal sensitivity is suspected. I take so much of the stuff, pretty much daily.  I'm starting to wonder if that has anything to do with why I'm always on the brink of disaster! But I need to take something for my headaches!
Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Any ideas for headache remedy??
Reply #1 - 05/15/13 at 05:01:21

I can get rid of headaches pretty easily with a combination of Tylenol and caffeine (coffee, Coke, etc...).  Target sells a brand of Tylenol for tension headaches that includes caffeine (the equivalent of one cup of coffee in each capsule).  Deb uses a similar generic from Walgreens.

Like you, I'm also sensitive to perfumes... plus airborne latex, silicone spray, and many products used for cleaning and renovations (paint, carpet adhesive, etc...).  However, none of the foods that are high in salicylates are a problem for me.  What's the link between them?  I'm not saying you shouldn't avoid triggers... just that I wouldn't assume something is a trigger unless you know for sure (for you personally).

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 05/15/13 at 10:10:31

I use CVS Tension Headache Aspirin Free.  It has caffeine in it as well as the Tylenol ingredient. It works like magic for me!  Sometimes I need to take an extra h1 like Zyrtec or Allegra if it is a total histamine headache. I was so happy when I found the CVS meds, because I used to take Excedrin tension free and they discontinued it when they were having factory problems

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/15/13 at 16:29:14

Thank you for responding Heather and Deborah! I will look for those aspirin free tension headache meds tomorrow. I couldn't stand it any longer, so I went and bought regular Tylenol this morning. It did an ok job. As far as why I think I have a salicylate sensitivity...I have definite and immediate reactions to EVERYTHING with a smell, natural or synthetic. My whole life I haven't been able to tolerate anything herbal. When I was in high school, my moms friend was selling this stuff called blue green algae. It was to "preform miracles"! All it did was make me crazy sick. Then a couple of years ago a mother of a child at my sons school coaxed me into trying "univera" an herbal supplement drink and another product by the same company that was a pure "golden aloe" drink. That was the closest I have ever come into going into anaphylaxis. Much throat closed up tight and the entire inside of my mouth swelled (even my gums!) and was numb. It was super scary. I have never been able to drink tea, and now that I have read up on salicylates, things are clicking. I get these terrible sores on my tongue (I have them almost all the time, I wish I could show y'all a picture to see if any of you have experienced this) anyway, they are very painful to where some days I cannot even talk. I have a pretty good hunch it's from food, maybe foods high in salicylates.
So, I'm going to ease into this and see what happens! There is a lot of conflicting information out there as to what foods are high in sals and what are not. So my plan is to eat simple eating the foods that seem to be agreed upon by everyone. I am hoping that this will be the start of a new journey for me. Maybe just cutting fown could help. I know spices and sauces etc are the worst in sals.
I am in the preliminary thought of going back east to see either Dr. Afrin or the group at Brigham Women's (if they'll take autoimmune urticaria people) does anyone have a suggestion where to go? I have had some brief contact with Dr. Afrin via email and he seems to be on top of things. He actually told me that the American Allergy Asthma and immunology department just had a conference in I think February, and although he is not sure of the outcome, they were discussing putting autoimmune urticaria under the same umbrella as MCAS. Has anyone else heard this?
Thank you all so much for your support. What a road it's been for all of us! Cheesy
« Last Edit: 05/16/13 at 04:26:45 by Britt »  

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/16/13 at 07:34:50

So I feel like I'm a dog chasing my own tail. Not that I have given a low sal diet a chance yet, but I had plain organic oatmeal this morning (low sal) and my tongue broke out really bad. I could feel it while I was eating it Sad.
Maybe your right Heather, maybe I'm assuming too much. I know I can't do herbals, but that doesn't mean I need to avoid all salicylates. Maybe I just need to take a closer look at individual foods.
Off to buy the tension headache pills!  Wink
Just a thought.....I have taken Advil practically every day for headaches. Maybe by switching to Tylenol I will see some improvement?!  

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 05/16/13 at 11:34:16

Britt wrote on 05/16/13 at 07:34:50:
Just a thought.....I have taken Advil practically every day for headaches. Maybe by switching to Tylenol I will see some improvement?!  

Definitely worth a try... Advil (ibuprofen) is an NSAID, which is a common mast cell trigger.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 05/16/13 at 15:16:05

My opinion is that whenever given the opportunity to see the Boston docs, Dr. Akin or Dr. Castells, take it! Dr. Castells coined the MCAS term, and she and Dr. Akin have been researching mast cell diseases for years and helped soooooo many people. Not to say that Dr. Afrin couldn't help as well. He is simply newer on the masto scene (relatively speaking in comparison to the years of experience of the Boston docs). Each of these doctors has his or her own fans, so we can only offer our own personal opinion. Dr. Akin is my doctor, and turned my life from being bedridden to practically normal. So, for obvious reasons, I am a huge fan of his.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 05/16/13 at 17:42:59

Thanks Deborah! I'm worrying about things I don't even know about yet. Although my symptoms have pretty much consume my life over the past 3 years (though I've had symptoms for almost 20 years) my only diagnosis is from a bloodtest confirming the antibody for autoimmune urticaria. I have a normal trypase, and had a colonoscopy 2 years ago where their findings were nothing but a couple small benign polyps (no mast cells). So I am concerned that the Boston group will not see me. But if I don't try, I'll never know. I just feel so crappy all the time, everything seems like so much work. I feel defeated and spent.
It seems that Dr. Afrin would be willing to see me from brief correspondence I've had with him via email.
Having said that, I would do anything to see the group on Boston. I just don't think I have enough to even send them to get an appointment Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print