Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Don't Try This At Home! (Read 1362 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Don't Try This At Home!
05/16/13 at 16:02:26

I have to share this because it was both stupid and funny at the same time.

So I ate something, and I was wondering if it was bothering me a little as I thought "maybe" my lips were swelling up (one of those gray zone things).

I was going somewhere later that evening, and I had already taken my evening antihistamine, but it isn't much, so I thought I would take maybe half a Benedryl just in case.

Being that I had no solid benedryl on hand, I reached for my liquid capsule, bit it in half and kind of sucked out the juice and swallowed some milk afterward as a "chaser".

Well, off to choir practice I went, and by the time I got there, the meds had numbed up the tip of my tongue and my lips, so I sort of "gummed" my way through the songs.

Note people: liquid Benedryl capsules don't work well when bitten, not a good idea.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Don't Try This At Home!
Reply #1 - 05/17/13 at 01:20:21

Ummm....LOL. Well, glad that it all turned out okay, which I assume it did since you are writing us about it. I think that capsules are definitely meant to be dissolved inside the  body, not opened. So, I'm not surprised that your mouth went numb. Perhaps you should go stock up on Benedryl tablets today! Cheesy

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Re: Don't Try This At Home!
Reply #2 - 05/18/13 at 16:00:55

I always take my benadryl like that, by biting down on the capsule and swallowing the liquid medicine that comes out and spitting out the gelatin capsule because it seems to bother my GI. But I have water in my mouth before I bite down on the capsule so I think that helps to keep your tongue and throat from getting numb. My throat and mouth felt a little weird and numb or something the first 1 or 2 times I did it, but I don't really notice it now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print