Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Confused, Concerned and a Little Scared... (Read 10243 times)
NJDad75
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Confused, Concerned and a Little Scared...
02/25/13 at 08:04:29

I feel betrayed by my body, and the last several months have been extremely hard on myself and my family. I am looking for some feedback and insight. I don’t really know where to start so I'll start with my story:

I am a 38yr old male, Caucasian, 5’-11” and 158lbs. 6 months ago I weighed approximately 195lbs. I have a nifty weight scale at home that measures my body fat and says that I am down to 5%. I literally feel like I am wasting away.

6 years ago I visited a GI doctor with light stomach pains, diarrhea, and because of the frequency of the diarrhea a little anxiety. This doctor ran all sorts of tests (stool, blood colonoscopy, endoscopy, barium series) and only found slight inflammation of my colon. He said that if he didn’t know any better I was a healthy 32yr-old (at that time) with no problems. He diagnosed me with IBS-D, told me to take Imodium as needed and sent me on my way. At that time, my symptoms were mild, so just about everything I took made me feel better (pepto, imoduim) but the diarrhea was/is an everyday occurrence- as constant as the North Star - always reminding me that something was wrong.

I then kept exhaustive food diaries and completed months of elimination diets to detect and eliminate suspected IBS 'triggers'. The diets helped me eliminate some trigger foods, but my symptoms didn’t go away. Other times, safe IBS foods seemed to set my system off. In other words I couldn’t put the IBS into remission (for lack of better terms) and I couldn’t get to a ‘good period without symptoms’ as my research said I could. In fact, over the next five years my symptoms steadily worsened and I upped my intake of Imodium to compensate for the increase in diarrhea. I periodically visited my GI who said that it is all in my head, prescribed Bentyl (an antispasmodic) and told me to continue taking Imodium.

The steady decline or worsening of my symptoms was slow, until summer 2012. I decided that I didn't want to be a slave to my IBS, popped a bunch of Imodium and Bentyl, and when out with my friends. I ended up drinking more than my share that night, which was expected. But what I didn't expect was that it took my system a week to semi-balance out. Since then, my diarrhea has been worsening at a steadily increasing rate. Has this happened to anybody?

Being an Engineer, I am always looking for a solution and because of this I have continued to keep track of my symptoms and continued to research IBS. I have noted that I do NOT have the following IBS symptoms: stomach spasms/cramps and elimination of documented trigger foods did not alleviate my symptoms. I do, however, wish this was solely IBS. My symptoms are:

1)Chronic diarrhea (up to 5 times a day). Currently on Lomotil, which reduces this to 2-3 times/day. No longer on Imodium – was taking about 6-8 tablets/day. Lomotil slows down your system's motility, so I am thinking that my system has something in it that it doesn't like and is rapidly trying to expel it? Am I off base here? Anyway, Lomotil is simply 'masking' the underlying cause(s).
2)Drastic weight loss (almost 40 pounds in the last 6 months)
3)Diarrhea is ALWAYS bright yellow (?). Man, how I wish for a brown BM just every once in a while.
4)Stomach pains after eating (probably from not eating the right foods?). The pains are not always there, but when they are, they feel like a gnawing pain - like I ate something bad.
5)When I pass gas it NEVER smells. Before I had my issues, I would think they smelled..well you know...normal. Nowadays, if it didn't make a sound you'd never know I tooted. Is this typical of mastocytosis? Between the chronic everyday diarrhea and the nonsmelly farts I was thinking of bacterial imbalance, but I haven't been able to figure anything out....
6)No skin lesions, red bumps or other typical of the pictures on the internet. In fact, if it wasn’t for my GI tract issues I wouldn’t have thought I had any problems.
7)Energy level is fine, but lately a bit low probably due to the fact that I am not eating much. I am also worried about malabsorption.

A few months ago I had an allergist perform scratch tests and blood allergy tests, which all came back negative. Is it common for them to not test for sugar/glucose/fructose? These have been known to give me gas.

I couldn’t convince my old GI doctor that I didn’t have IBS (or that it wasn’t the root cause of my issues), so I went for a second opinion. My new GI doctor (Dr. Colin Brown from the Middlesex-Monmouth Gastroenterology) reviewed my records and ordered new blood tests and a CT scan of my GI tract. He’s been excellent so far. The CT scan showed a few nodules in the colon and a slight thickening of the stomach lining, but otherwise a healthy system. He found that I had a positive ANA with a titer of 1:40 (I do have psoriasis). He also found that I had a tryptase reading of 24. According to Dr. Brown, this is a sign of mastocytosis. He also admitted he isn’t as familiar with this disorder and it isn’t common.

I just had a endoscopy/colonoscopy last week (Thursday) for confirmation of this diagnosis and currently am waiting on biopsy results.

So now that I may have mastocytosis and not IBS I am scared to eat. I read that some IBS 'safe' foods are not histamine safe foods. Right now my diet consists of white rice, oatmeal, some milk, fresh chicken, steamed veggies, yeastless breads, egg noodles, and eggs. No soda, tea, coffee or alcohol. Not exactly much to write home about.

I have recently contacted Dr. Akin and he sent me a letter stating what I need to do to request an appointment. I am currently working to gather the required information.

For the time being, Dr. Brown has me on Claritin 24h – 1 tablet a day, and Zantac 150mg – 1 tablet every 12hrs.

QUESTIONS:
1. Can mastocytosis be confirmed via colonoscopy biopsies?
2. Since I am 155-160lbs, should I be taking more than 150mg Zantac tablet every 12hrs? I have read some people take 300mg.
3. I noticed that most people take Zyrtec/Allegra. What about Claritin? Should I switch? Perhaps Zyrtec/Allegra is more effective?

Any other insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Re: Confused, Concerned and a Little Scared...
Reply #1 - 02/25/13 at 13:19:09

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I'm not sure how to answer your questions at the end so I'll leave that to someone else.  

But, have you tried probiotics or s boulardii for your D ? If not, you may want to get a strong probiotic and take it 3 - 4 times a day for 3 weeks.  

S boulardii is a common treatment for D. Esp for  D caused by C diff. It runs about $10 for a box of Jarrow.  

As far as diets go, I found it helpful to elminate ALL common food intolerances at one time. This reduces your cytokine load if one or more of these is a problem. Otherwise your body stays inflamed. These include gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, corn and all chemicals. I can handle some dairy, eggs and corn at this point but not the others.    

HTH ... Marcia  

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #2 - 02/25/13 at 14:58:30

NJDad,
I want first to say I am glad you found us! You have seen a wise doctor to test your Tryptase and actually know something about Masto. The Tryptase test being over 20 is definitly meeting a criteria  for mastocytosis. I believe that a GI biopsy can confirm.  Another confirming test is a Bone Marrow Biopsy(BMB).  Several of us have opted not to have a BMB. There are often false negitive test results if they are done inproperly. The BMB can confirm but it doesn't change the treatment.  For people that have masto symptoms but do not meet the WHO criteria for mastocytosis, are considered to have Mast Cell Activation Syndrom, the treatment is the same for both.

The good news is that now you can start helping yourself!  You should start with a low histamine diet.  I had the yellow diarreaha for months until I got stabilized. That is a good place to start.  Many of us have found that clartin does not do a whole lot.  Allegra or zyrtec are the favorite H1s.   Taking zantac at least 2 times a day. I actually started out on 4 (150) a day. Two in the morning two at night.  I am now down to 2 a day.  You most likely will need to be put on some mast cell stabilizers-cromolyn did wonders for me, took about 4-6 months to stabilize on the cromolyn, but I did feel better after a few weeks on it.
Another mast cell stabilizer is Ketotifen, many have done well on that.  Each of us are different, so treatment will be different.

There are many foods and drugs that can cause triggering.  Here is a great link to a list, you should also look for the diet in blue!

http://www.mastocytosis.ca/symptoms.htm

Pam

IP Logged

NJDad75
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 02/26/13 at 03:06:37

Thank you both for your replys. It is definately a comfort to have people actually going through this to weigh in. I am hopeful that I can work to control this disorder and regain control of my life - instead of letting it control me.

I'll look into the probiotics and the Allegra/Zyrtec. Does Allegra/Zyrtec make you drowsy? I have been on a low-histamine diet and antihistamines for almost a week. Hopefully I'll see improvement as the weeks progress. PamH - your condition steadily improved over a matter of weeks/months?

I have an appt with my GI to discuss the biopsy results - we'll know more by next thursday. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I must say, if it wasn't for the love and support my wife and family have given me during this period I just wouldn't know what to do. I thank god for them every day.

By the way, does anyone know of any support groups in the NJ-NY metro area?

IP Logged

NJDad75
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 02/26/13 at 03:16:18

Hi PamH - I am finding conflicting info on butter and eggs. Are they typically safe to eat or should I avoid them?

IP Logged

missmarple
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/26/13 at 13:09:32

Hi there - glad you have found us!

I eat butter - it's one of my 'safe' seven foods. Yes, I manage on only seven foods!

Eggs are more controversial - as I understand it the yolk is lower in histamine than the white. I can tolerate the yolk.

If you're doing chicken, or indeed any meat, make sure it is as fresh as possible and free range or organic.Cook it and eat it, don't eat left overs as the histamine rises.

There's a lady who does a great site called 'low histamine chef' - she has some good ideas.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #6 - 02/26/13 at 13:49:03

NJDad,
I have scrambled eggs almost everyday.  I use butter too.  I have read that uncooked egg whites can be higher in histamines so just be sure to cook them well.  We are all different so things will be different for all of us.  I follow a low histamine diet but there are actually a few things on the don't have list that I do fine with. (green beans and potatoes)
I would suggest that you do the low histamine diet until you feel well enough to add one thing at a time to test.
Allegra does not make me tired.  Zyrtec did make me tired.  For awhile I took allegra in the morning and Zyrtec at night.  Atarax is a really great histamine but it is by prescription only and it is very sedating.
I would personally not take probiotics until you are stablized.  Right now you need to get on the right histamines and maybe mast cell stabilizers.  Throwing a probiotic into the mix may not be the best thing.
Also, I found that I did very well drinking only distilled water with out minerals. ( I was trigging by drinking water)
Once I was started on mast cell stabilizers I started to improve in a few weeks, but took about 4 months for my bone pain to go away and 5 or so months to feel close to normal.
I also have a salicylate sensitivity.  This is actually NOT very common but there are a few masto people that have a salicylate issue.  If you don't feel relief on the low histamine diet you may want to look into salicylates.  They cause the mast cells to degranulate in some people. Salicylates are in many fruits, veggies and everyday products.  Here is another link.
http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/

I am very thankful to have a wonderful husband that has taken such good care of me. We are blessed in this area! Smiley
Let me know if you have any other questions!

Pam

IP Logged

angelloz
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 02/27/13 at 01:55:26

Hello and welcome!
Just wanted to let you know i have the exact same weight loss...yellow BM nightmare. Oh...the things we will share when we are sick and worried. I felt a bit better when I was able to gain back some weight but have lost more again. I have many more symptoms than you, and my diagnosis is MCAD, however my tryptase is creeping up..last test it was at 18. I am in the process of trying to find medications to help me. I am hyoer reactive to meds. I am on a very limited diet similar to yours but I am cutting back dairy except for butter...hard to gain weight on so few foods. I am eating gluten free biscuits like crazy...as much meat as possible...freshly cooked. I am going to see another gasro doctor so will let you know if I learn anything useful. Chin up!
Angelloz

IP Logged

NJDad75
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 02/27/13 at 02:10:55

Thanks again for the replys.

I do have another question regarding meats - I understand that eating leftover meats is a no-no, but what if I cook fresh meat, then immediately freeze it? Can I heat it up at a later time to eat it?

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 02/27/13 at 03:01:36

Hi there. With your IBS story, you sound exactly like me when I first got ill and no one knew what was wrong with me. (Check out my intro story for details.)

Due to the elevated tryptase and your symptoms, I would say that you probably have masto. First of all, it is important to note that masto is NOT fatal. It can screw up your life for a while until you figure out how to control it, but your longevity won't change.

Now, the first thing you need to do is to follow Dr. Akin's instructions for getting an appointment and make that apptment right away. He is the top doc for Masto, and you don't want to lose the chance to see him. He can change your life from being debillitated to wonderful. Trust me on that, because that is what he did for me!

In the meantime, you are not on enough antihistamines to control your symptoms. Since your symptoms are like what I had (although I was a lot worse because I was passing out), you need to imagine your body as in a constant fight right now. It is battling inside of you because your mast cells are all triggered up. So, you need to calm them down (and that could take a while; just be patient). The way to calm them down is to get the right meds and change your lifestsyle. Here are some important tips of what  I would do if this was me (and it is what I did when I was in your situation years ago):

1. I had a GI doc tell me I had mast cell disease and I should be on 300 mg Zantac twice a day. That is not an unusual doseage for masto people. I took that for years at that dose, and it was a godsend! Now that I am super stable, I take 150 mg twixe a day, which is what your doc put you on. The difference is that I am super stable and you are majorly reacting! So, I would suggest that you take 300 mg twice a day. I always take it at the same time every day. So I take it ay 7 am (or whenever I get up if I sleep later) and at 4 pm. I take it at 4pm rather than later because it works so well for me that I realized I would rather have the good benefits while I was awake and doing more during the day/evening. Of course, you always make sure to take it before you eat breakfast or dinner (I don't mean right before; I just mean sometime before as opposed to after eating).

2. Claritin is the last choice to use unless you react adversely to allegra or zyrtec (which is rare). Dr. Akin has me take 180 mg Allegra in the morning (with my Zantac), and 10 mg Zyrtec in the evening (also with my Zantac at 4pm).  I have never had to take a mast cell stabilizer because these 3 meds (Zantac, Allegra, Zyrtec) work fabulously for me.

3. If I start to have a flare (like GI pain or diarrhea) during the day or evening, what do I do? If it is the first part of the day (before I take my 4 pm meds), I take an extra Zyrtec (the opposite of what I took in the morning, since I took Allegra in the morning.) If it is the second part of the day (after 4 pm), I take an extra Allegra. That normal shuts down my symptoms that are starting to trigger.  All of these meds I have mentioned are over the counter.

4. Change your lifstyle to reduce stress as much as possible. (Read my tips in the Start Here category of the forum.)

5. Avoid known triggers, especially food triggers. Keep a food diary so you can see what your safe foods are. We are all different, so learn what works for you. My safe foods are white rice, plain chicken, toast. Although we are all different with our triggers, pretty much everyone triggers from alcohol. Don't drink any alcoholic drink at all. Not even a sip. Shellfish is also a major trigger for many mast cell people.

I think I have more general tips in that section on the forum, so take a look. This should give you a head start to getting better now, though.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #10 - 02/27/13 at 08:06:44

Yes, you can freeze your cooked meat and eat it later.  They recommend fast thaw, like a microwave.  I can tell you from experience that meat grows histamines at an alarming rate!  I had some left over chicken on a roadtrip, what a mistake that was.  I needed a bathroom a few minutes after I ate it.  Not good on a roadtrip. Histamines cause me diarrehea consistantly.  This takes awhile to figure out, but once you do you will get handle on things.

Pam

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #11 - 02/28/13 at 00:28:31

Hi NJdad,

Welcome to the group!

Deb gave you some great advice.  Antihistamines are very safe for long-term use, even at higher than "normal" doses.  Don't worry about matching the dose to your weight... match it to your symptoms.  

I also wanted to reassure you about the weight loss.  Looking back, I've probably had a mast cell disorder all my life (I can think of plenty of suspicious symptoms... especially from my teenage years), but my body really fell apart in 2009.  I'm also 6'0" and my weight dropped as low as 147.  Horrifying.  I was eating tons of food... I just had too much diarrhea/vomiting/malabsorption to keep it in my system.  

A couple of years ago I gained all that weight back plus more.  Now I'm up to 235 and trying to lose some Grin  I'm stable enough to exercise again, but if I push myself too hard I get nauseated.

Thumbs up on arranging to see Dr. Akin.  He's one of the best in the world.  As I recall, one of the board members of TMS is in NJ.  That would be a good resource to look for an in-person support group.

I'm so glad your family has been supportive!  That doesn't always happen when you're dealing with a chronic disorder.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

NJDad75
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 02/28/13 at 02:19:32

Thanks again for all the responses. I am starting to take 2x150mg Zantac twice a day plus Claritin 10mg in the morning and evening. Once the Claritin is gone, I'll switch to Allegra. For the first time in years, I am hopeful.

Starflower - I probably have been dealing with these symptoms longer than the last 5 years - it has only been these last 5 that my diarrhea caused me to notice something was wrong. Come to think of it, several years ago I went to get my heart checked out b/c it was racing/fluttering at times. The doc couldn't find anything wrong. Perhaps is was Masto.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #13 - 03/10/13 at 05:03:37

The heart symptoms could be from masto.  It can cause tachycardia, high or low blood pressure, and more.  Smart to get it checked out anyway.  

Since fast heart rate is a sign of mast cell symptoms, that's a clue to take more medicine.  Many of us use Benadryl or Atarax for an extra medicine if we have "breakthrough" symptoms, or doing what Debbie wrote about taking more of one of our regular antihistamines.  As is sometimes the case, a fast heart rate can be a reaction to too many antihistamines.

If you've noticed that people give you advice, and then turn around and say something opposite, that's because everyone is at least a little different in what triggers them, whether it's foods or environmental, etc.

The low histamine diet is essentially an elimination diet.  (link to another one that I like a lot:  

http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm

If that fixes all your symptoms, that's great.  If you see improvement, give it a month or more.  If not, what Marcia said about eliminating a lot of different categories of foods at once is very smart.  I used an elimination diet that included fewer than 10 foods for a few weeks and then added one food back into my diet every 2nd or 3rd day.  Symptoms don't take very long to re-appear if it's a trigger for you.  Dr. Castells recommended an elimination diet that included only 4 foods for a month.

Other people's experiences are important to consider, because it gives you a broad understanding of the possibilities, but your triggers will probably be a unique set.

There are also environmental triggers.  Mold is a problem for many (indoor or outdoor), pollen, animal dander, etc.  Stress might be the worst for everyone, and that includes physical or emotional.  If you're sick, for example, your mast cell symptoms can worsen and you might need more medicine.  If you over-exert physically, same thing can happen.  Heat seems to trigger most, and cold triggers some people.  Scented products are bad for anyone, but worse for mast cell disorder patients.  The list goes on, and you'll figure them out as time goes on, too.  You have a great start, and I agree with Deb that an appointment with Dr. Akin is exactly the right place to go.  He's the best.  If you can, make up a list of questions in advance and take someone with you to your consult to write down things you might not remember.

I didn't see anyone mention carrying Epipens.  This is extremely important.  It's not likely you will have a major anaphylactic reaction, but it's critical to have an Epipen with you at all times (not sitting in the car or at home) just in case.  My doctor recommended carrying 4 Epipens.  I've only had to use it once, but I wouldn't be writing this post if I hadn't had one.  The guideline for use is something your doctor can tell you, but in general, if you're having symptoms and feel you might pass out or are having mouth or throat swelling that threatens breathing, an Epipen would be indicated.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print