Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Masto with Migraines: Cyproheptadine and Chlorpheniramine (Read 7328 times)
phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Masto with Migraines: Cyproheptadine and Chlorpheniramine
01/30/13 at 18:08:02

I know that Migraines are not considered a symptom of Masto, but if you have mast cells activation in the brain, it can cause migraines.  Thank god for this mast cell doctor who wrote a publication about it.  http://mastcellmaster.com/documents/Migraines/Brain-Res-Rev-mast-cells,-migraine...

H1s do help me a little with migraines, so I started googling antihystamines that help migraines, and I found Cyproheptadine and Chlorpheniramine.  Now not all antihystamines are good for mast cell disease.  Does anyone know if cyproheptadine and chlorpheniramine are ok for masto?  

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Masto with Migraines: Cyproheptadine and Chlorpheniramine
Reply #1 - 02/01/13 at 04:20:43

I've never heard of cyproheptadine, but chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton) is definitely fine.

When I get a headache, I find that the best remedy is a combination of Tyleonol (acetaminophen, paracetamol) and caffeine.  I found some tablets that combine the two without aspirin, but you could also just take Tylenol with a cup of coffee or a soda that has caffeine (which is especially nice if the cold helps you!)  The reason it works is because caffeine is a vasoconstrictor... it counteracts the vasodilation of degranulation.  Neat trick Cool  This combination really works for me.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 02/01/13 at 07:45:59

I found that the CVS Tension Headache is a miracle for getting rid of headaches. It is aspirin free, but contains acetaminophen and caffeine. It is basically the same thing as Aspirin free Excedrin Tension Headache, but the Excedrin was pulled off shelves due to production problems. I was thrilled when I discovered this CVS one that is identical to Excedrin. (They even made the box look the same as the Excedrin box.)

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 02/02/13 at 16:47:50

You couldn't exactly call me a shocker, but for me the migraines are really debilitating.  Without sumatriptan, my migraines will take me down for 2-3 days.  If I am not doing something to prevent them, I will have them 2 to 4 days a week.  That doesn't leave much of a life.  The day after I have a migraine, I am very likely to get another one the next day.  After I have one, I have to drink two large ice teas the next day to stop the cycle.  Sometimes my migraines start after an activity - like working out.  (I'm allergic to coffee.)  Sometimes they start after an allergic reaction to a food.  Headache remedies like acetaminophen don't touch the pain.  What I have learned is that my sarotonine needs to be stabolized to prevent migranes.  There are some meds that do this, but one of them made me dizzy, another one activates mast cells even more.  

I started taking Chlorpheniramine two nights ago.  It is supposed to stabalize sarotonine.  So far so good.  I thought I was going to get one earlier today, but it never came.   Smiley  I am going for a long bike ride tomorrow.  That will put it to the test.

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 02/04/13 at 00:44:02

Just trying to figure out these chemical names, brand name for cyproheptadine is Periactin. Ketotifen has a similar chemical structure, and I found it described as a benzocycloheptathiophene derivative, so I take it this is a related (maybe next generation?) antihistamine. Does that sound right? I am now trying Zaditen (ketotifen) for my sons migraines, along with a paracetamol with added caffeine, which seems to work for him.

Ruth

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 02/04/13 at 15:29:43

That is interesting.  I know nothing about chemical structure, but I am feeling better and better.  My hives are going away too - so it is working better than hydroxizine for rash and hives.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print