Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ketotifen...bummer, plus a doxepin question (Read 4245 times)
texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Ketotifen...bummer, plus a doxepin question
01/24/13 at 14:03:39

I have tried starting ketotifen several times and it flares my IC.  Sad I thought surely no way then found a medical report that in rare cases can cause inflammatory cystitis. Can't take gastrocrom either kills my stomach. On a more positive note I am on doxepin and it seems to be helping. I know doxepin is an h1 and h2. Is it also a mast cell stabilizer too?  I have the oddest reactions to meds.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Ketotifen...bummer, plus a doxepin question
Reply #1 - 01/24/13 at 17:04:25

You're not alone in having odd reactions to meds.  Lots of us do.  I had to start gastrocrom really, really slowly, with part of a vial in a lot of water and working up over weeks.  It still bothers me occasionally, and what helps is to drink an extra glass of water.

I saw a patent application for a derivative of doxepin that is supposed to be for stabilizing mast cells in the eye, but I haven't heard of it as a systemic stabilizer.  Maybe someone else knows for sure.  Doxepin was the first medicine that helped me.  It helps people get into Stage 4 sleep, which might have stabilizing effects.  Sleep really seems to help me, and lack of it to de-stabilize everything.

Joan

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 01/27/13 at 14:41:16

Hi Tex.

Sorry to hear of your experience.  I'm not doing well on Ketotifen, either.   It is making my symptoms worse, not better.  Grrrrrrrr.

I will echo the GO SLOW on gastrocrom.   It gave me fits at first, then I learned to back off and ramp up slowly.

I will also echo the observations on Doxepin.   It helped from the very start, and is one of the few drugs that still helps.  <s>

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #3 - 02/09/13 at 03:27:25

I 'think' it was Dr Afrin that told me Doxepin IS a mast cell stabilizer. I take it and as for the mast cells it helped 'some'. As a sleep aide it helped tremendously!
Here is what I read online:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastocytosis#section_6
Treatment.....
Antidepressants are an important and often overlooked tool in the treatment of mastocytosis. Depression and other neurological symptoms have been noted in mastocytosis.[9][10] Some antidepressants, such as doxepin, are themselves potent antihistamines and can help relieve physical as well as cognitive symptoms.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print