Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Massage - problems with or benefits of? (Read 2797 times)
Serbo
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Massage - problems with or benefits of?
01/24/13 at 11:03:40

Hi, I have pots/MCAD/EDS 3 etc, doing better now i'm on some allegra and Sodium cromoglycate.

I used to like a massage pre illness, left me feeling very chilled out afterwards.

I was bought a deep muscle massage for christmas (i'm a guy!), i go to the gym a few times a week to do weights so that kind of massage would be really good.

i know massage etc causes M cells to degranulate due to pressure. I had a phsyio loosen up tendons in my arm a while ago and that left me a bit dazed after.

Does any one on here get massages or regular physio with pressure applied to skin? any tips/do's or donts'. Perhaps there's a type of massage which might be more mast friendly?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Aaron

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Massage - problems with or benefits of?
Reply #1 - 01/24/13 at 11:16:24

I don't know of any, sorry. I have always heard that pressure and massage can trigger symptoms. Everyone is different, though. I know any massage oils or fragrance associated with it would completely make me ill....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 01/25/13 at 00:11:12

For a while I was getting a massage every 3-4 weeks.  I also felt really "chill" after getting one Cool  It was great for stress release (which is a trigger)... it forced my mind to slow down and enjoy the moment instead of racing a million miles a second.  BUT... I would never get a "deep" massage or anything involving heat and/or fragrance.  The regular place I go (which only does massage... it's not a spa) uses a really neutral massage cream that doesn't bother my skin.  I've also had a massage using grapeseed oil that was just fine.  If your skin is sensitive, I would ask before you start!  You might also want to pre-medicate with antihistamines... and of course, make your therapist aware of your needs.  The type of massage I usually get is like a combination of Swedish and lymph drainage... nothing aggressive.

With all those caveats... I've never had any serious problems getting a massage.  Sadly, my regular masseuse moved to another state! (sob)  I'd like to go back... I just need to take the plunge and try a couple of new people.  

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 01/25/13 at 00:14:23

ps - I just noticed you're a new person... welcome!

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Serbo
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 01/25/13 at 01:44:06

Thanks Heather Smiley

The voucher I have is for a spa so maybe i'll give them a ring and try and have a chat with them. Figure I might as well give it a go, nothing to lose.

I am indeed new, just trying to get my MCAD meds sorted. Have to build up on that slow because very med sensitive. soon to be on 500mg of nalcrom and already on fenofexadine. looking to start midodrine also soon for low Bp.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 01/25/13 at 08:34:33

Hi Serbo!  Welcome!

I don't get massages very often and the few that I've had ooooooOOooohhhhh!!!  Sooooo gooood!    It hadn't given me trouble, but I've not had one for a while.   However, about 6 months ago I was in one of those stores that sell the stuff you see being advertised on TV and sat in one of those massaging chairs.   I wasn't even in the one which do the legs as well as your back, I was only in one which does the back.  Oh my goodness!!  I was so enjoying how good it felt and had been sitting there for several minutes while my husband was in the recliner enjoying it.  I had to turn the massager that I was in because as I sat there my stomach began churning!!!   At first I couldn't figure out what it was until my son came up and said, Mom why are you so red!!!!!!!!!   That was the clue!   I turned it off, took an antihistamine and sat for a few minutes until the medicine kicked in and my stomach and flushing calmed down!    It told me right there that massages are NOT my thing, unfortunately

We all have to figure our bodies out.  It may be that a once in a while thing works, but you have to listen to your body and do what it's telling you.  Some people may be able to handle it, others not.  You've just got to see what you can handle.    Perhaps taking an extra antihistamine about 20 minutes before the massage is enough to help keep things calm!   It's worth a try, don't you think so?

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Serbo
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 01/25/13 at 10:54:44

Thanks Lisa,

i'm sorry to hear the massage chair was a trigger, but at least you tried it out!

you're so right, as with anything worth a try. With mast cells stuff and my health in general i have learned nothing ventured nothing gained!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print