Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nitrous oxide?? (Read 2110 times)
gnbailey
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Plano, TX
Nitrous oxide??
01/23/13 at 08:59:59

I have my first dental procedure since being diagnosed 2 years ago so I have questions!  Have any of you had nitrous before your dental procedures and had any problems!  ( I am a big chicken when it comes to the dentist so I don't let him even think about giving me a local without nitrous first! HAHA)

I was planning on premedicating as suggested by the the REMA protocol but I wasn't sure if Nitrous was a problem.

Thanks for any feedback! Smiley

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Re: Nitrous oxide??
Reply #1 - 01/23/13 at 09:12:53

I had told my dental surgeon that because of a medical condition, I did not want him to give me nitrous oxide for my dental implant.  I have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia.  Because of having POTS, he had a nurse assistant in there monitoring my vitals.

Anyhow, he didn't listen, and began giving me some through the nasal canula that was used to give me oxygen.

Within a few seconds, I said to the dentist, "What are you giving me?", because I could feel that I was getting weird. I also reminded him that I did not want anything.  (I had to have Novocaine, of course:I was having an implant.) He stopped giving me the nitrous.  I was happy.

It was making me feel ultra relaxed, like I didn't have a care in the world, and a bit "out of it".  I did not like being given it. It is probably what it feels like to be drunk on alcohol. I prefer feeling with it and I prefer having shorter recovery time.

IP Logged

femaillady
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Colorado
Reply #2 - 01/26/13 at 12:25:28

I am "dental-phobic" and I always have nitrous before any procedure that requires drilling.  It prevents me from ripping the arm off the chair.  That ultra relaxed feeling is what I want (and no, it doesn't feel like being drunk, it is more like disconnecting from whatever is going on, at least for me). They wean you off of it when they are done and there are no after effects.  I have never had a bad reaction from it.  I do have a problem with some of the local anesthetics, however.  Still, everyone reacts differently.

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #3 - 01/26/13 at 19:20:19

Hi gnb,

There is a post under this area called "dental work"....it is on page 3 (on my screen) and posted by Doozlygirl.  It has some good information you may want to read if you have time, before your dental appointment.

I met with my dentist and had a consult the first time I went 'back' to him after my diagnosis (and after I became very symptomatic).

Have you ever used Ativan?  It is a benzo...but also a benzo blocker!  It's another pre-med I use that helps.  It also takes the "edge" off that anxious feeling.  I also had my dentist use carbocane with no epinephrine, and he didn't use any topicals (which contain alcohol which are mast cell degranulators).

It may not be just one thing that causes a problem. To me it was important to eliminate as many variables that cause mast cell degranulation as possible.  For some patients that can even include asking the office staff not to wash the instruments with vinegar!

Then, as you said, PRE-MED!!  good luck!

IP Logged

gnbailey
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 01/27/13 at 15:43:08

Thanks for the helpful responses!  I have started my premedication tonight and will do the same in the morning before my appointment.  I am feeling more confident that I will not have any problems!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print