Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I have a cold all the time (Read 3241 times)
larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

I have a cold all the time
01/12/13 at 02:59:58

Hi All,

Just like last winter, this winter I have been sick all the time. This is very unusual for me, since I used to be that person who got sick maybe once a year.  Now I have my third flu or cold since early December.  My colds have cleared up and then a few days later I come down with something new.  

I have continued to go to work for the most part otherwise I would be out all the time. My boss has suggested that I go see a doctor because I am always hoarse, coughing, sniffling, etc.  Other than concern about my health in general,  I feel bad exposing my colleagues and friends.  

The only correlation that makes sense to me is that I started taking Gastrocrom in the fall of 2011.  Either that, or with a progression of MCAS  my ability to fight off illness and heal is compromised.  I am taking vitamin supplements for low iron, B and D.  

My doctor and pharmacist have no answers.

Does anyone else have this?  

Thanks,
Larken

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: I have a cold all the time
Reply #1 - 01/12/13 at 06:16:35

Hi Larken,

Are you sure these are illnesses?  The symptoms you mentioned... hoarseness, sniffling, coughing... could all be the result of mast cell activation.  In my own experience, until I figured out what was going on I had many episodes of what I thought was the "stomach flu."  One particularly bad time I went to urgent care for help.  Guess what they prescribed?  Antihistamines.  That's when a light bulb went on for me Wink  Other "flu-like" symptoms I get from time to time include swollen lymph nodes, an all-over achy feeling (especially in my joints), runny and/or stuffy nose, and headaches.  Rarely do I have real colds.  In November I finally had one that required antibiotics.  I felt rotten and my voice was so bad that I had to cancel a couple of classes (I'm a professor).  One clue that it was a real cold and not a mast cell thing was my body temperature.  Normally mine is around 97 degrees.

Have your co-workers been getting sick at the same rate?  Do you have any other risk factors like small children in your house?  If not, again... I think this is a clue that your mast cells are to blame.

Good luck,
Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 01/13/13 at 15:54:58

You know, now that I think of it, I was sick with a virus or two all last winter! It was the craziest thing. I just couldn't believe it. I think theories were that because we had such a warm winter (not under freezing temperatures), there were more germs around that didn't get zapped out by the cold. Who knows (and if that is true, this winter should be a doozy because it has been much warmer than normal -- and I live in the Midwest US where it should be snowy right now).

I never did figure out, though, why I was so sick all winter....and it wasn't mast cell sick. I never did figure it out, but I would be curious as to people's ideas! So far, I have been healthy all this winter and it is half over....

You mentioned that you noticed this when you began Gastrocrom. How did you feel during the other seasons besides winter? If you felt fine, then I wouldn't think it was the Gastrocrom. If you felt sick then as well, then I would wonder if perhaps the Gastrocrom could be the cuprit. Hmmmmm

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/14/13 at 08:49:32

I am pretty sure it is not mast cell symptoms. My last cold was something my husband and I had at the same time (isn't it nice when you share everything?!) and my current cold started with a fever and chills and has turned into a nasty cough.  Plus, I have not been sick in the warmer months like my wintertime streak.  

Deb, I think you're right about the fact that if it were due to Gastrocrom I would be sick the other three seasons.  

It does take me a loooong time to heal from bruises, scratches, etc, so who knows -- maybe some how my specific brand of MCAS/degranulation involves something that compromises my immunity and winter is when my defenses are lowest most due to dryness, etc.  (but then again, I would expect at least a slight increase in other seasons, as well).  

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/14/13 at 12:47:18

If your diet is limited, there might be a deficiency that's causing you to have low resistance.  For me, if I take a lot of vitamin C and make sure I have enough zinc in my diet, it helps my immunity.  I'd definitely talk this over with your doctor and see if you need something to boost your immunity.

I don't know if anyone else has this, but when I have a virus or infection, I start to feel better, but then what I call Phase II sets in!  This can feel like worsening of symptoms and feels like a relapse, or it can be different symptoms that feel like a new illness.  I know for sure, in me, Phase II is the mast cells continuing to kick up a storm due to the initial bug, because the last time this happened, I increased my MC meds, and the symptoms finally went away after a few days.  Usually they hang around for weeks.

Or, It also could be just a lot of new bugs going around.  Some of them take 6-12 weeks to go away completely, according to my M.D.

Joan

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #5 - 02/17/13 at 09:43:19

I find this very interesting b/c my son never got sick until starting Gastrocom.  We started him on gastrocom this past June.  From June-September he had 3 bouts of Tinnea (fungal infections) and numerous illnesses.  My first thought was the gastrocom.  I contacted Dr. C and she agreed to lower his dose from 800- 400mg.  My son began doing better from October- December while we decreased the med however since the new year he's had 3 major viruses with serious high fevers and sore throats.  I'm about to contact Dr. C again b/c I really feel the gastrocom is somehow playing a role and I'm contemplating lowering his dose again.  Maybe there's a happy medium somewhere?  This is my thought...  Perhaps the gastrocom is doing what its supposed to do and  normalizing his mast cells and now he's getting sick like every other kid, IDK?  What I do know is that this isn't normal for my kid and it takes him a long time to recover.  

I hope you feel better soon.

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 04/20/13 at 05:05:18

I wanted to update this because since I started taking 200 mg of iron per day, my chronic colds have cleared up.   I'm not totally sure if that's the reason since there are other variables going on, but that is the clearest link I've been able to make.  I have continued on the sodium cromolyn as before.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print