Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
quercetin/NeuroProtek (Read 12504 times)
Serbo
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

quercetin/NeuroProtek
04/16/13 at 15:27:15

hi all, have tried to search on these topics but getting no results. am sure they must have been discussed at some point.

from what i have read on quercetin, dosage needs to be 500mg per day plus, can make one feel a bit charged life caffeine, but animal studies show it to be better @ M cell stabilising than Na cromoglycate. non water soluble so needs to be taken with fat

NeuroProtek seems interesting but has many ingredients in there including a camomile derivative apparently

Any thoughts from posters who use either supps/meds much appreciated Smiley

Aaron

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Re: quercetin/NeuroProtek
Reply #1 - 04/17/13 at 10:36:34

I am on Quercetin 2 X/day at this point.  Dr. Afrin said it can be used 4 X/day. Each pill is 500 MG.

I have not noticed any side effects from it.  I am not sure what it is doing, but I am not at the highest allowable per day yet.

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #2 - 04/17/13 at 14:15:09

How long have u been on the quercetin?   Do take it with cromolyn or ketotifen too?  

Appreciate any info....Dr. A just recommended it and I am not sure if you can take all three????  Is the quercetin an anti-inflammatory only or does it have some mast cell stabilizing ability as well?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #3 - 04/17/13 at 14:21:22

Lynda, I don't know enough to answer your questions.  Is Dr. A your doctor as well?  Is he the one that recommended you take it? I am not on cromolyn or ketotifen, so I don't know if you can take both?

I think I read somewhere that quercetin is a mast cell stabilizer?  

Dr. A said be careful when buying it that the pill contains quercetin only, and not some other OTC stuff.

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #4 - 04/17/13 at 15:56:10

Yes,  Dr. Afrin is my doc.  

And yes he did recommend the quercetin along with ketotifen.  Maybe he was just making different suggestions and I misinterpreted.

Is it OVC? What brand do you buy? Do you feel it is helping you? If so, do you mind if I ask what kind of symptoms it is helping with?

Thanks for your input...it is appreciated!  Smiley

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #5 - 04/18/13 at 03:11:42

I take the Solaray brand which I purchased from Vitamin Shoppe. There are 500 MG in each pill.

I do not know what symptoms it is helping with, if any.  I would have to stop it to find out.  Maybe it is doing nothing, but at this point, since I have had no ill effects from it, I am finishing the bottles that I purchased.

I have not decided what to do in the future, though Dr. A is saying I can increase the dose, which I probably will do eventually.

I am doing too much experimenting right now to mess with this pill and check its usefulness.  Sorry

IP Logged

meemshutchins
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 04/20/13 at 14:15:27

Lynda,

I just sent you a PM and came back here to look over the posts. Dr Afrin suggested I take Quercetin as well and I started a little over 3 months ago. I take a large dose. 1000mg 3x a day. I think this is more than he suggested but I read that higher doses can be helpful. I initially thought that it was doing nothing at all but I also read that it takes a while of consistent dosing to build up in your system.
 I do think that it is helping now. Most specifically with flushing. The "hot flash" like flushing was driving me crazy and happening too many times to count during the day and at night as well. I think there has been a 75% improvement on that specific symptom which is amazing.
I forget to notice sometimes as you know how you never notice your big toe unless it hurts. I kind of forget about the flushing now. And what's more, I dont dread going out and interacting with people for fear that I will have a rogue emotion that brings on a horrible distracting flush followed by stomach pain and brain fog distress. Just my two cents on the Quercetin. I'm sticking with it

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #7 - 04/22/13 at 03:15:31

meemshutchins,

What brand of Quercetin are you using?  You take 3000 MG at each dosing for 9000 MG total/day? How many pills and how many times/day do you take a dose?

Thanks.

IP Logged

meemshutchins
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 04/22/13 at 05:04:56

I am trying to take Pure Encapsulations which doesn't have any additives as per Dr Afrin's suggestion. But sometimes I run out and have to use the health food store's brands which contain vit C or bromelain. I don't really notice a difference in the efficacy and I don't think I react to the C or the bromelain. I take 2 -  500 mg capsules 3x a day for a total of 3,000 mg. Not 9,000!

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #9 - 04/22/13 at 09:59:21

Meem,

I would not be able to take the pills with the additives.  It would hurt my bladder.  The Solaray brand non-citrus seems okay for me.  I'll check out your brand as well.  Hopefully it is on the internet.

Thanks for clearing up your dosing schedule.

BTW, the Pure Formulations brand of quercetin I found on the internet  had 250 MG of quercetin/ capsule.  Are you taking 4 pills for each of the 3 times per day that you ingest them?

IP Logged

meemshutchins
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 04/22/13 at 12:13:55

You are right! Chalk it up 2 the brain fog AGAIN. That's why I'm taking more now. When I ran out of the pure encapsulations I was used to taking 2 capsules to make 500mg 3 x a day and when I switched I didn't notice that the new supplements were 500 mg until we started talking about it. I thought the pure encapsulations was 500 mg as well. Oh well. Whichever. For me it doesn't seem to make a difference I guess. But I think it really helps. I notice I have less reaction to all the fragrances that usually put me over the edge.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print