Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Witnessing Childbirth - Emotional Components - Hints Please (Read 1440 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Witnessing Childbirth - Emotional Components - Hints Please
04/10/13 at 10:18:56

Hi, again.

You've probably read my other threads about my ongoing saga involving meds to take and whether they have worked or not.

I must confess, last Wednesday I had an emotional breakdown when Google decided to "sync" my computer with my husband's.  This got rid of all my favorites and settings.  Ugh!

I am suffering now with a terrible flare because of it....a bit of a delay since the breakdown, but I'm sure it affected me, even though it is a delayed reaction.

How long do I have to wait to calm down from an emotional uproar?

Also, I want to be available for my daughter when she gives birth to my second grandchild, but I am fearing that the stress of the situation will cause problems.  Any suggestions, short of avoiding it all together?

Thanks for any advice.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Witnessing Childbirth - Emotional Components - Hints Please
Reply #1 - 04/15/13 at 16:00:43

How involved does your daughter want you to be when she is giving birth? In the hospital or it the delivery room?  Does she have a husband who will be in there with her? If so, I would think that she would be fine with you in a waiting room, and you would be better without the stress of worrying about getting ill. Of course, I guess I am coming at this from a mom of twins who had a C-section. Even better, I feel NO contractions ever, so I had no pain at all while waiting all day after my water broke and they could schedule the C-section. LOL If only all deliveries were like that, eh?

If you mean that in the event that her labor takes a while, only you will know how stressed (and thus how sick) you tend to get. Taking an extra antihistamine should help calm down mast cells.  Smiley

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #2 - 04/15/13 at 23:07:14

Thanks.

My daughter will have her husband with her.  She does not want anyone else with her during the labor and delivery.

I was thinking more along the lines of the stress and the hours involved.

So, taking additional antihistamines is okay?  How about taking them before symptoms crop up?

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #3 - 04/17/13 at 10:27:06

Hi Hope,

I always take extra meds when I know I am going into a stressful situation.  For myself, I now know that if I don't, I will end up taking 3 times more later on!

Do you use any benzodiazapens (sp?)??  Like Ativan or Xanax??  They are also benzo "blockers" and tend to be very helpful as they block just one more area of receptors.  (I can get by with flying by using them).  As you well know, even "positive" stress can trigger our symptoms.  I now take a small amount of Xanax even before a doc appt.  

I am not sure if you find this to be true, but if I don't keep things calm, once I start reacting, I tend to escalate really fast! In my opinion, prevention is the best medicine.

You don't want to be in the ER when baby arrives in the nursery!  Tongue   Congrats to you!   I hope and pray all (three) of you do well!

Hugs, Lynda

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print