Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Powdered Cromolyn Sodium - Extended Release or Regular? (Read 3781 times)
PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Powdered Cromolyn Sodium - Extended Release or Regular?
01/09/13 at 13:06:55

Today, I contacted a local compounding pharmacy to inquire about getting powdered cromolyn sodium. The pharmacist said they typically make their cromolyn capsules with an additive (can't remember what its called) to make them extended release. She said they can also omit the additive to make plain cromolyn capsules.

Not knowing which would be best, I contacted my nurse and she wasn't sure, either. Anyone encounter this issue and have any info to share?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Powdered Cromolyn Sodium - Extended Release or Regular?
Reply #1 - 01/10/13 at 07:19:07

I haven't encountered this issue... but I'm pretty sure mine are just plain cromolyn sodium.  The only ingredients listed on the paperwork for my insurance company are cromolyn sodium, lactose powder (for filler), and gelatin capsules.  I open each capsule at home so I can dissolve the contents in water.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #2 - 01/10/13 at 14:43:30

I get mine from Clarks and it comes in the powdered form in a container and I measure it....so no fillers or capsules!!

Pam

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 01/12/13 at 14:04:54

Thanks for your responses!

Well, my nurse went with the extended release. I took my first dose this morning. Holy stomach cramping!!!

I wonder if I should be taking the capsules with a whole glass of water, as I was when mixing in the ampules. I tried downing a glass just after the cramping started and it didn't seem to do much. I probably needed the water right with the cromolyn. I guess? Or, I wonder if I should be dumping the contents of the capsules into water, stirring, and drinking.

Gotta wait til Monday to get in touch with the pharmacist or my nurse.

IP Logged

hope
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 01/13/13 at 06:43:59

Pepperpots, are you lactose intolerant? Maybe your capsules have lactose in them.

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 01/13/13 at 16:24:05

hope, thanks for the thought! Thank goodness I'm not lactose intolerant, because I'd have to add that to my problems with histamine, salicylates, sugar, and grains.  Wink

After taking subsequent doses with a big glass of water, I've had no more cramping. Hooray for simple solutions!  Smiley

IP Logged

hope
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 01/21/13 at 04:04:03

PamH-

Is Clarks an online pharmacy? I'm looking for a cheaper form of my med and think the plain powdered form sounds very do-able.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print