Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why does Benadryl dehydrate us but other meds don't ? (Read 5549 times)
MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Why does Benadryl dehydrate us but other meds don't ?
01/15/13 at 23:46:56

I have to really watch how much I take of this because I have a hydration problem despite drinking plenty of fluids.  I've read
this is a cfs and oi issue but never found an answer for why we have this. Some people even have to get iv ports for this so they can hydrate at home.

So why does 1 tbsp of children's dye free Benadryl dry out my brain as well as my sinuses ? What mechanism in Benadryl does this ?  Zyrtec doesn't do this. Nasalcrom does tho.

Tx .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Why does Benadryl dehydrate us but other meds don't ?
Reply #1 - 01/16/13 at 14:37:09

Benadryl has anti-cholinergic effects, and that's what is so drying.  Second and third generation antihistamines, like Zyrtec, Allegra, Claritin, Xyzal, and Clarinex have fewer drying side effects because they've been modified to get rid of them.  Other drying antihistamines are Atarax (hydroxyzine) and Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine maleate).

Have you tried a re-hydrating solution, like Pedialyte?  There are other electrolyte solutions, too, and they help you retain the fluids you're drinking.  Liquid foods, like soups and fruit, also help re-hydrate.  Saline nasal spray might help the nose.

Joan

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Re: Why does Benadryl dehydrate us but other meds don't ?
Reply #2 - 01/16/13 at 15:49:28

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticholinergic

Thanks. I see Benadryl listed by it's other longer name.

I'll need to research this further. tc .. Marcia  

eta. I forgot to say, I haven't tried pedialyte but drinking the water from young coconuts and eating certain fruits, like oranges always helps.  I'll look into soups. thanks ..

I just can't stay hydrated despite drinking. I understand it's a pots / cfs problem.  I don't urinate it out like most say they do but it's still not sticking to my bones ... lol .. I'm going to look at anticholinergic for clues.  

I did find that celiacs can have damage to their solute transporters so that could be it too. And I'm a celiac. Supposedly those heal but since the info on celiac disease is evolving that info may have changed.  

Article on solute transporters and celiacs

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20415666

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print