Send Topic Print
New with concerns (Read 2447 times)
Liz
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

New with concerns
01/08/13 at 11:54:39

Hello,
Brand new here and not the most computer literate so forgive me.
I would like to tell the story of my 9 year old daughter in the hopes of getting some guidance, advice, and encouragement.  

Nina has had seasonal allergies ( spring, lat summer) since about age 4. There is family history of seasonal allergies.  She also had Lyme disease in the summer of 2010, which may or may not be significant.

In January of 2011, after a basketball practice we went out to eat.  We were in the Houlahan's restaurant just a short time.  She ordered a lemonade and we were waiting for the food to arrive.  She had just a small sip of the lemonade and said she needed to go to the bathroom.  I accompanied her there and while there she complained of a stomach ache and constipation.  She said her belly felt "hot".   I thought she must be coming down with something and we went back to our table and cancelled the order.  At this point she began to cough and clear her throat.  She said she felt like her throat was closing up.  I have had kids in my class with severe allergies so I had gotten in the habit of always carrying Benadryl ore-measured in my purse.  I began to suspect an allergic reaction and gave her the Benadryl..her symptoms resolved.

The next time she reacted was in march.  She had gone to dance class and then we went out for a st, Patrick's day dinner.  She ate turkey with gravy and a large helping of apple pie with ice cream.  She was fine until we got home.  Same symptoms,  constipation, abdominal cramping, feeling hot and then the coughing, throat clearing,and sense of tightening.  No hives though either time.  I gave her Benadryl and her symptoms resolved.

Shortly after this,  she had an episode in school.  For breakfast she had Quaker oatmeal and apples.  She went to school and had gym.  Upon returning to  class after gym, she vomited.  The nurse thought she was getting a virus and sent her home.  My husband picked her up and. Ogives some hives on her back.  He gave her Benadryl and they resolved.

Took her to an allergist who performed skin testing for flood allergies.  She reacted very slightly to celery but he said that was not unusual for someone with hayfever.  He suspected sensitivity to sulfites.  We read labels and avoided them.

Nina takes Zyrtec during allergy season.  That spring she seemed to develop exercise induced asthma.  After soccer practice, (NOT DURING) she will develop a cough and continuous throat clearing.  The first time I was so scared I drove her to the ER.  They prescribed Proventil.  She has had several episodes of this now mostly in spring and late summer- but that is also when soccer season is.  Now we give her 2 puffs prior to exercise when we know she is prone to this.

That summer we went to Florida.  The Mosquitos were terrible and I had heard that avows skin so soft was a good remedy.  I could not find any but tried a body oil with a strong fragrance.  I out it all over her and us as we were going to dine outside.  We got to the restaurant and she went to the bathroom right after we got seated,  same symptoms.  I recognized this and gave her the Benadryl.  We cancelled our order and went back to the house and I out her under the shower to wash the oil off.

She has had a few reactions since- always after some exercise.

Her latest reactions have been in the middle of the night.  She will wake with the same symptoms.  In August, she did this and did not seems to be reacting as quickly to the Benadryl.  I was frightened and administered the epi pen.  She immediately threw up and had a bowel movement at the same time, and then improved very rapidly.. Followed up on the ER.

Same thing in December.  Had a dance class that evening and went to bed after light dinner.   She and i had some words before bed and she was upset and cried for about 15 min, prior to going to sleep.  Woke at 2:30 with sme symptoms.had to administer epi pen this time too.  Once we got to ER she was covered with what looked like a sunburn.  It got better with more Benadryl at ER.

One week later, same scenario.  Dance class, light dinner, drama scenario followed by tears and a reaction about 10:45 pm.  This time I gave a bigger does of Benadryl to avoid epi pen and it worked though I was nervous all night about a repeat reaction,

More allergy food testing done at another allergist.  No positives.  Her tryptase was taken at the December ER visit with a value of 9.8.  Complement testing for hereditary angioedema was negative,

Last week she got her first migraine,  photo and sound sensitivity and vomiting,  hard to watch,  

The last allergist said it was not uncommon to not know why and didn't seem overly concerned.

I am afraid we are missing something,  this just does not seem right,

I know this is soooooo long.   Thank you in advance for any and all insights you may have.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: New with concerns
Reply #1 - 01/08/13 at 14:36:29

Hi Liz,

I'm sure this is very scary for Nina and everyone around her!  Do you know about the website Mastokids.org?  It addresses specific problems of children with mast cell disorders, because they can present differently in children and adults.

If I'm reading correctly what you wrote, she's had 4 triggers for anaphylaxis:  food and/or food additives, stress, exercise, and a scented/chemical oil product.  While you mentioned allergens, it didn't sound as though inhaled allergens triggered the big episodes.  Then, she's had episodes that wake her up in the night from an unknown trigger.

Most of this might be explained by a combination of allergies and asthma, even the stress-induced events, as asthmatics are affected by stress.  A couple of things make me wonder if she should be tested to rule in or out a mast cell disorder and other problems that have similar symptoms.  A history of Lyme disease may or may not be relevant.  There isn't a proven connection, but some people feel they've developed mast cell disorders after having viral or bacterial infections.

You said her tryptase was high at the ER.  That wouldn't necessarily mean a mast cell disorder, as tryptase can be high after any anaphylactic reaction.  If her baseline tryptase is high, when she's not reacting, then a mast cell disorder might be suspected.

Still, that's not the only testing that should be done to determine what's causing her problems.  There are some things that mimic mast cell diseases that would need to be ruled out first.

If it were my child, I'd read a lot here and at MastoKids and post her history there.  Then, I'd ask my allergist to contact Dr. Castells at Brigham and Womens in Boston and ask what testing to do to rule mast cell disorders in or out, or I'd make an appointment to see Dr. Castells.  If you're on the other end of the U.S., you might consider contacting or visiting National Jewish Medical Center in Denver. They do diagnose mast cell and other allergic and immunological diseases, and can rule in or out diseases that might mimic a MC disease.  MastoKids might have some suggestions for doctors, too.

In the meantime, you might want to see if you can pin down more of her specific triggers.  This can be done with an elimination diet.  Your allergist would be able to help you find a good one.  Although she didn't test allergic to foods, they can still trigger symptoms.  As you may know, there's a significant difference between a true allergen and substances that causes mast cells to degranulate. (We call them "triggers.")  

Food reactions can be due to an allergy, intolerance, or a substance in the food, e.g., histamine.  There's a low histamine diet listed at:  

www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm

If you haven't already, you might want to take away any pre-prepared foods and make everything from scratch for a while so you know exactly what she's eating.  Food reactions can occur up to 72 hours after a food is eaten.

We have a "bucket" analogy that we use regarding symptom "triggers."  If a bucket already is full of water, one more drop can cause it to overflow.  If we are exposed to triggers all day long, one tiny exposure can cause our trigger bucket to overflow and cause symptoms.

Most of us use preventative meds as our primary means to keep our symptoms under control.  These vary by individual and might include H1 and H2 antihistamines, mast cell stabilizers, leukotriene inhibitors, and others.  You might want to talk with your allergist about putting her on daily antihistamines or other daily meds, to see if it keeps her reactions down.

Good luck in figuring this out for your daughter!  If you have any more specific questions, do post again.

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 01/10/13 at 14:44:29

I am so glad I know you, Joan. You are so much more knowledgeable than you ever take credit for. I couldn't give half of the info you just did--You should really be a DR, I'm serious and I'm also proud of you Smiley
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 01/11/13 at 21:40:37

Ramona,

That's very sweet of you, but my knowledge areas are limited.  I only know some things because I've lived through a lot, have had this disease for 20+ years, and read all the time.

We're all so lucky there are a lot of people on this forum with different types of information they're willing to share!  Your nursing knowledge is invaluable and something I don't have at all!

Joan
« Last Edit: 01/12/13 at 05:34:39 by Joan »  

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print