Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newly Diagnosed With Mastocytic Enterocolitis (Read 20094 times)
hope
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Newly Diagnosed With Mastocytic Enterocolitis
01/09/13 at 05:33:36

I'm new here and newly diagnosed with ME.

I have a  long history of digestive issues going back at least 15 years, but I've definitely gotten much worse over the past 4-5 years.

I have had recurring "attacks" of severe cramping and diarrhea followed by long episodes of constipation. Painful bloating, belching, and heartburn are a part of my daily life. Nausea, intense stomach rumbling, extreme fatigue, joint pain, muscle pain/weakness, and bladder symptoms that mimic Interstitial Cystitis (had testing that was negative for that) are also frequent. I've also had frequent hives, skin rashes, and itching. And brain fog. Almost forgot that one.

I've been to several gastroenterologists. One treated me for IBS and was ineffective.  After she failed to help me, I figured I was on my own and had to live with this and tried to for several years, but I got so much worse that I had to leave my job, so decided to try a new "progressive" GI doc in town. He treated me for a year with mostly antibiotics for SIBO. I did improve while on Xifaxin (even the brain fog lifted), but the symptoms always came back after completing the course of meds.

During this time, I took 5 or more separate courses of antibiotics for SIBO, meds to reduce bile (made me horribly ill), proton pump inhibitors, carafate, fiber supplements, Miralax, antispasmodics, and probiotics (because he was "progressive"). He finally did an EGD and the path report showed villous blunting, but testing for celiac was negative (including genetic testing). I also tested negative for h pylori.

When I realized that he didn't know what else to do for me, I decided to treat this naturally and so began to research and consult with natural wellness professionals. During this time I tried ox bile, Betaine HCL, antiparasitics, numerous natural antimicrobials, DGL, natural laxatives, lots more probiotics, several leaky gut type diets, and several more supplements I can't remember (brain fog).

None of the above helped, either. In fact, I continued to get worse. The elimination diets removed many foods from my list and-despite the fact that these diets didn't help me-I am unable to resume eating the foods that had been eliminated. I now  consume about 6 different foods but even then my digestive symptoms can be intense some days and less so on other days.

My weight kept dropping until I had very little body fat  left and not much muscle mass, either and I was so weak that I spent most of my days lying down. I've been pretty much confined to my home for months.

By way of a casual conversation, I stumbled upon a doctor who was finally able to diagnose me. I had another EGD and colonoscopy done and excess mast cells were found throughout my digestive tract-as well as chronic inflammation and areas of erosion.

I started gastrocrom yesterday and, so far I've only had a slight increase in belching and bloating, but it's hard to know if that's the med or just the disease. I'm starting low and building up slowly with lots of water for each dose.

Now that I know this is mast cell mediated, the unpredictability of my symptom flares make sense. I could never find a pattern, because I was only looking at diet. I couldn't understand why going out one day would make my gut so much worse for days after, or why being cold makes it worse. I also flare from inhalation of chemicals (scented laundry products, lawn fertilizers, etc), exposure to sick people, exercise, stress, and who knows what else.

I'm just really glad to have gotten a diagnosis that finally makes sense. And I'm happy to have found this place and am looking forward to learning and healing along with all of you.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Newly Diagnosed With Mastocytic Enterocolitis
Reply #1 - 01/09/13 at 06:32:18

Hi Hope!!   I'm glad you found us and are also finding your answers as well.   It's MISERABLE to be sick and not have a single doctor knowing why or what or even how!  The stupid accusations we all go through just because our doctors are clueless are worse than being sick itself!  How I well remember the Gnawing pain in my stomach, feeling just so awful, thinking that NOBODY cared or had a clue and wondering WHEN if ever we would find an answer.    Oh when I think back to those days and compare them with now, I jump for JOY for having found my doctor!!!    I have my life back again!!!

Doctors can't treat what they don't know.  But it 's not their fault they don't know about masto, it's just so rare, or at least they thought it was and this is why they don't know about it and can't put the pieces of the puzzle together or why it takes so long.   But you're a fighter and that fight has brought you the reward of finding answers.  

Hope, what you need to do is to keep reading, keep studying and keep talking with us here.   When you get sick for no apparent reason, tell us and let us know what the symptoms are.  If you can't find the trigger, chances are we can help you find it.  Those of us who have our diagnosis and have been dealing with our illness for years have had time to figure a lot about how the disease works and often what seems to have been totally without a trigger, more often than not has one, you're only not aware of it or why.   We can teach you.  In learning what triggered  you and how it worked, you will be able to avoid it and with time avoid potential situations and thus REGAIN much of the health that you had lost.   I don't know, however, how much you will regain, for you may have ended up messing up the works more with those elmination diets and such unknowingly and it may take time and patience to ease your body back into a more normal lifestyle.   Yet, again, remember, we are living with a chronic incurable disease.  We can never go back to normal.  Some of this we just must accept and learn to live within our limitations of being highly allergic people.  This is the fact.   But, by learning how to live with allergies, like millions of others who are just normally allergic people, we too can live normal lives, we only have to be more careful.  

Tell us where you are, what your markers were, and what seems to be your worst situations and we can help you learn and perhaps direct you to more doctors or give you research which will help you learn or your doctor learn.

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Nicole
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 01/09/13 at 09:53:35

Your story sounds very familiar - and much like mine! Do you mind me asking who your doctor is?

I too tried Gastrocrom, and while it helped somewhat I could never get to the full prescription dose. My doc, Dr. Philip Miner, suggested Ketotifen which has been a HUGE help!  Smiley

I hope that you continue to get better.

Nicole

IP Logged

hope
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/09/13 at 15:31:37

Nicole wrote on 01/09/13 at 09:53:35:
Your story sounds very familiar - and much like mine! Do you mind me asking who your doctor is?

I'm seeing Dr Miner too.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/09/13 at 18:53:30

Hi Hope,

Welcome!

My doctor, Scot Lewey in Colorado Springs, recommends ketotifen as his first choice mast cell stabilizer, too.  His regimen also includes probiotics (VSL #3 is his favorite), and H2 antihistamines.  

I take gastrocrom, H1 and H2 antihistamines, probiotics (PB8), 500 mg. l-glutamine, twice a day, follow a low histamine diet, and use bromelain as a digestive enzyme (not recommended if you have a lot of inflammation and irritation in the GI).  These meds keep me stable enough that I can even cheat a little on my diet and not create havoc.  I sometimes still have episodes that are baffling as to the cause.

One of Dr. Lewey's suggestions was to use Lomotil to help stop the cramping and sudden emergencies to find a bathroom.  He recommended pre-medicating with it before long trips.  I haven't tried it yet, but plan to.  He said his ME patients tolerate it well.

My GI problems became chronic after an infection with a parasite, and my colonoscopy showed too many mast cells.  Now I'd say they recur, but aren't always an issue.

Joan

IP Logged

Nicole
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 01/10/13 at 10:06:46

Joan -

Just curious. What food are in your low histamine diet?
BTW - I'm in Colorado Springs too and have seen Dr Lewey. My case was too baffling and he sent me on to Dr Miner.

Smiley
Nicole

IP Logged

hope
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 01/10/13 at 16:02:38

Thank you for the welcome.

I had no idea that Dr Miner was an expert in this. We really did just stumble upon him. We were down at OU for something else and just happened to meet a nurse who had recently left her job on the GI floor, so we asked her if she knew of a doctor who specialized in IBS.

I started to realize that he's not your run-of-the-mill gastroenterologist when his office staff told me that the wait to get in to see him would be 6 months.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print