Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Happy Holidays all!!! Question about iron... (Read 1793 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Happy Holidays all!!! Question about iron...
12/19/12 at 04:32:45

I haven't been on here for awhile!!! Busy, busy, busy!!! Hope everyone is doing well. I ran into a bit of a dilemma and thought I'd ask y'all. I have very low ferritin (stored iron) and relatively low iron. Anyways, I've been taking Walgreens slow release dye free iron forever. I just ran out and went to buy it, but they've reformulated and added dye!!!!!  Lips Sealed I've looked high and low for a slow release dye free and can't find it anywhere. The closest thing I found online was Mason's natural slow release iron, but it has sodium lauryl sulfate in it. I thought that was for shampoos!!!! Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. Why do they have to dye everything????? I tried iron "gentle on the stomach" capsules from the health food store, but they messed me up. Undecided

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Happy Holidays all!!! Question about iron...
Reply #1 - 12/20/12 at 01:13:45

I don't have an answer for you....sorry!!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #2 - 12/20/12 at 03:53:38

Hi brigitte,

I went thru this too. It was before I knew about mast cells but I couldn't tolerate pills either. I used a cast iron pan and ate medium rare buffalo meat which is high in iron.  It worked. There may be other options listed on the web.

If you need to buy a cast iron pan, I've read that it's best to get an older one. They were made better  but I can't remember the details. I used a new one tho.

I had one iron iv because my numbers were so low. I was supposed to get several but my doctor changed his mind. I don't know why.

Tc .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 12/20/12 at 09:11:19

I would suggest trying a health food or vitamin store.  They should list all ingredients.    Blue Bonnet, Solaray, Country Life are some brands that tend to have fewer additives, and I don't think they use any artificial colors.  These can be found online, too.  If Amazon doesn't have the ingredient list, ingredients will be posted on the company's websites.

Joan

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 12/21/12 at 09:43:16

Thanks all! I do need to get a good old fashioned iron pan for sure!!! I am very anemic as well as extremely low ferritin. So I called Sam's Club and it sounds like their iron is dyed with I think he said titanium oxide. I went online to look  at the inactive ingredients in Zantac (as I think I can tolerate whatever makes them "pink") and the ingredients for Zantac for color are yellow iron oxide, FD&C yellow No. 6 and aluminum lake. So it seems as though I may be able to tolerate the slow release iron from Sam's Club. Does anyone have issues with Zantac coloring?? I know for sure I cannot tolerate red #40. Thanks again! As far as going to a vitamin store, all they have are regular iron tablets or capsules, and for whatever reason, my stomach cannot tolerate them. So frustrating! Angry

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 12/21/12 at 16:57:29

Brigitte,
I anaphylax from FD&C Yellow 5 and 6 and have issues with Red 40, but tolerate the oxine dyes.  Yellow 5 dyes tend to cause issues for folks with asthma, salicylate intolerance and sulfate intolerance.  FD&C Yellow 6 is made from yellow 5.  

Zantac brand is pink from the red oxine dyes.  

Lyn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print