Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Update - Throat Feels Likes it Closing - Dr. Afrin's Take on This (Read 1930 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Update - Throat Feels Likes it Closing - Dr. Afrin's Take on This
12/14/12 at 15:55:44

Yes, this is an edema response (swelling) caused by aberrant mast cells.  I am to carry an epi pen and was taught how to use it.  I was told to take additional H1 and H2 blockers when this happens.

I said to Dr. A, "this will make me sleepy and want to lay down."  He answered, "I would rather you be sleepy than dead."

This concept of my body reacting this quickly because of aberrant mast cells is new to me.  Prior to Dr. Afrin talking to me about this, I thought I had some unusual different problems like interstitial cystitis and postural orthostatic tachycardia, but I never considered them life threatening....just a nuisance.

Now, I am looking at my malfunctioning body in a whole new way, and I need to fully accept the problems I may face if I am not informed.

Alas, this is difficult emotionally......first coasting along thinking I had a few odd things wrongs, and now realizing I could develop difficulties at any time and in any place.   It will take some time for me to come to terms with my updated vision of my ill-health.  It is depressing to adjust to this, to say the least.  But, the good news I have lasted 61 years on the planet, and that is before I had any clue what was happening to me health-wise.

All for now.  I'm  trying to accept this new info gracefully.  It is going to take some time.

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Re: Update - Throat Feels Likes it Closing - Dr. Afrin's Take on This
Reply #1 - 12/15/12 at 04:23:56

Hi futurehope,

I'm dealing with this too. Fwiw, I've had this for at least a year and haven't needed an epi pen yet. Kow. I've found children's dye free liquid benadryl or the chewable tablets (not dye free) works on this and I only need a little bit. It's soothing and numbing.

My doc just recommended using an h2 also for this. He explained how vocal cords can get inflamed from acid and produce this feeling too. I've been on  orapred since seeng him so I can't tell yet if it's working. But I think it is.  I'm just working on the dosage still.

Finding and avoiding triggers can be impossible so I'm counting on meds for now.  

Have you tried taking a steroid to reset your immune system ? I have angioedema, etc which is out of control so I'm trying a short dose of  these. I'll be done tomorrow. Nothing amazing to report other than
I'm urinating easier. That was a shock. I'd been told my problem stemmed from giving birth 25 years ago.  Roll Eyes .. So much for that theory.

Tc .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 12/17/12 at 14:54:27

It is a hard adjustment when told that your condition could be fatal. On the positive side, though, they don't mean that it will shorten your longevity. It is just the actual attack you have to watch out for. I have Idiopathic Anaphylaxis. Technically, I guess we could say that at any moment I could have an anaphylactic attack and drop. In reality, that is not a worry for me at all. I stay aware of my triggers and how I handle them throughout the day, and that prevents any attacks for me. No worries. Just have to live smart.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

frugalmama
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 12/17/12 at 17:47:15

I think it definitely takes an adjustment period after finding out the truth behind your illness.  I also have POTS symptoms, and have for 4.5 years - including through two pregnancies.  When I found out that I had ISM and that all of those episodes (up to 4 per day) were actually anaphylaxis of differing severities.  It made me realize how fortunate I am to still be here, and that both of those babies are healthy Smiley.  But also remember that knowledge is power in this scenario - you can be better prepared and manage your symptoms more effectively.  So glad you were able to see Dr. Afrin. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print