Send Topic Print
Safest OTC pain meds. (Read 6864 times)
zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Safest OTC pain meds.
12/18/12 at 11:57:10

Listmates,

What OTC pain relievers have you guys found to be the cleanest/safest for mast cells ?   Or do you have to get something compounded ?

Thanks,
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Safest OTC pain meds.
Reply #1 - 12/18/12 at 12:17:15

Tylenol is safe for most mast cell patients.  Some are able to use aspirin or NSAIDs (ibuprofen, Aleve, etc...), but I would be very cautious about them.  Unless you know they're safe for you personally, don't take them when you're alone.

Good luck!
Heather

ps - If you need something stronger, the safest prescription pain reliever is Ultram (tramadol).

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 12/18/12 at 12:19:55

One more thing I just thought of... for a headache, I find that Tylenol plus caffeine (which tightens your blood vessels) works wonders!  

For other kinds of pain, it sometimes helps to take extra antihistamines.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 12/18/12 at 13:20:37

I just discovered last month that CVS Tension Headache is exactly like the Excedrin Tension Headache, which is the only thing that cures my headaches. It works great and contains no aspirin. It is basically like tylenol but has the caffeine in it that Heather mentioned. Works amazingly!

For a basic cold where I just can't stand all the dripping from my face, I take Walmart's Wat-act. It is similar to actephed, and dries up those sinuses, etc.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #4 - 12/19/12 at 01:59:09

I've just started researching and experimenting with nsaids because they block cox enzymes.  Blocking these enzymes blocks prostaglandins which cause swelling and pain. I hope I said that right. Lol.

Tylenol doesn't block cox enzymes so they don't affect prostaglandins.

I've read that different nsaids work a little differently to block these enzymes. So I'll be trying them all.

So far taking 1 tsp of Children's dye free motrin is helping. I'm using it every few hours. I had severe stomach cramps after the first dose but not after that.  I found this at Target.  

I can take equate children's chewable aspirin (aspirin is a nsaid) but will be looking for a more mast cell freindly version of aspirin.

Loratab, tylenol w codeine, helps my pain (back pain from car accidents) of course but I'm looking to block cox enzymes because I have swelling.

Tc .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 12/19/12 at 04:07:30

Lortab is an opiate... are you sure it's not making your mast cell symptoms (including pain) worse?  

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 12/19/12 at 04:11:27

Just be careful with the Tylenol with Codeine! Any type of narcotic is a common mast cell degranulator in many people, although you may be fine with it.  I know that I was given Tylenol with Codeine (before I was diagnosed) after a procedure, and I became sooooo sick and in one of my anaphylactic stages (although I didn't know it at the time).

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #7 - 12/19/12 at 04:36:20

Thanks for the warnings.

Actually I've been taking hydrocodone for a couple of years because it's the only med that works on my severe back pain.  Regular tylenol doesn't touch it.  Laying down flat on my back or squatting eliminates the pain but I can't grocery shop that way.  Wink

I stopped taking nsaids in 2006 because of my celiac dx and I felt better on a healthier diet. I'm looking at taking nsaids again tho because of their effect on prostaglandins which cause pain and swelling.

For the last few years, I've had daily swelling and pain which is probably associated with mast cells. I know some foods, nuts, that trigger it but I'm down to so few foods that I don't want to give these up. I'm hypoglycemic so I use these for blood glucose control. And I'm still going to get swelling from contact allergens anyways.

Taking these with food and at a lower dose is supposed to help avoid gut damage.  I'm just trying to find which brand of the
ibuprofen / advil or naproxen / aleve adult dose is gf, dairy free and dye free. Taking the children's liquid dye free motrin isn't convenient.

Name brand adult Aleve appears to be the safest so far.

« Last Edit: 12/19/12 at 07:06:25 by MarciaB »  

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 12/19/12 at 10:21:42

Lortab is a known bad for me too.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #9 - 12/19/12 at 17:28:22

Tylenol does affect prostaglandins, just not as much and in a different way from aspirin and ibuprofen, etc.  Here's a link that explains how Tylenol works:  

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5398586_tylenol-works.html

I find it helps tremendously with certain types of pain and inflammation I get, even though it's not supposed to affect inflammation.  Don't know which mediator(s) it's addressing, but love the relief!  Since I can't take aspirin or ibuprofen, I'm glad it helps....
« Last Edit: 12/21/12 at 03:53:15 by DeborahW, Founder »  

Joan

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #10 - 12/20/12 at 03:43:51

Thanks. I'm reading more on this now.

I've read that  Tylenol doesn't work on inflamation which is why I want to try the meds that do like advil, motrin, etc.

I'm dealing with chronic inflamation in my pelvic area and bladder and while tylenol can help the pain, I need the inflamation to go down too.  I'm hoping this helps my throat pain too. I appear to be swelling internally in several areas. I'm new to the angioedema dx but not the symptoms.

Btw, I couldn't get your link to work but I went to ehow. I'm finding some good info on the spine health site too.

So far children's motrin seems to help the swelling. I'm looking for an adult dose without dyes but haven't found one. Maybe Aleve ?

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 12/20/12 at 04:05:16

you are right Tylenol only helps the pain and not much...when I was completely down with my hip and could not function for many days..I realized that I would need something more..
now this was a problem for me as I had been in the hospital for a ...stomach bleed...and most over the counter meds will caution you if you have stomach problems on the label..but I finally decided that I had to take the risk...so I started slowly and was watching careful..but I started taking one pill mornings when needed of Aleve...so far no problems and I only take it as needed
redbird

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 12/20/12 at 04:40:09

OK.   So, which form of Tylenol is the safest/cleanest for mast cell patients ?   Which should I try first ?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #13 - 12/20/12 at 04:47:55

I use "rapid release" (Target brand, actually), but if dyes are a problem for you I'd stick with the normal ones... they're white.  Personally, I don't have a problem with the dyes or the fillers.  Have they been a problem for you with other medications?  If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #14 - 12/20/12 at 12:34:57

Here's an interesting article on pain meds ...

http://www.emedexpert.com/compare/opioids-non-opioids.shtml

Differences between Opioid and Non-opioid Analgesics

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print