Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decongestants for swelling ? (Read 2008 times)
MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Decongestants for swelling ?
12/16/12 at 06:04:22

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tried these ? I have nasal passage swelling most of the time. I've read it's from swollen blood vessels.

Sometimes allergy meds help but not always. I suspect my body is just reacting to the bad air in my apt but I'm stuck here for now. I'm working on a solution including adding plants and activated charcoal tho. I'd love to move but I don't have the money. This place has some nice features too.

I also have vulvodynia so instead of using a nasal spray I'm going to get pseudoephedrine tablets.  I'm not sure if this will work on swollen blood vessels throughout the body.  Any chance these would help calm throat swelling ?

I read about the rebound affects but maybe this doesn't apply if the swelling is constant.

Ideas ?  Anyone else trying this ? Thanks ... Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

BlueSkies
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Decongestants for swelling ?
Reply #1 - 12/16/12 at 10:10:26

Marcia,

What are pseudoephedrine tablets?  

I had a scary rebound effect from taking Claritin for only a few days.   The Claritin helped lots the first day, half as much the 2nd day, and none the 3rd day on.   Then, when I stopped taking it my symptoms got drastically worse (for 2-3 days) than they were before I had tried it.   (I am not trying to discourage anyone from taking Claritin!   I have trouble with most meds, and I am probably a weird case.)

Antihistamines work by plugging the receptors in our body that are normally triggered by histamine.   The antihistamines grab the openings so that the histamines can't get in.   Antihistamines do not reduce the amount of histamine in our body.   I figured after a few days on the antihistamine,  = a break for my body, that my body over reacted to exposure to the histamine again.   This is my GUESS.

I also have throat swelling, not severe, but getting very frequent.  So, I'm interested in what you learn.   I'm going to a new dr this week and I hope to learn more there, too.   I'll try to post what I learn.  

BlueSkies

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 12/16/12 at 13:11:34

Pseudoephedrine is the generic name for Sudafed, an oral decongestant.  I don't know that this would happen to anyone else, but all of a sudden it started causing tachycardia.

Dust-mite proof encasings on mattresses and pillows might help, if you have dust mite allergy.

Oral or inhaled steroids might help your physical symptoms.  Do run this by your doctor.

Joan

IP Logged

BlueSkies
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 12/17/12 at 08:32:15

Thank you, Joan,

That is interesting - Sudafed!  

Thanks for the suggestions.  
BlueSkies

IP Logged