Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to make symptoms show up for a 24 hour Holter Monitor (Read 2536 times)
Batik
Rookie

Scotland
How to make symptoms show up for a 24 hour Holter Monitor
12/03/12 at 03:06:01

I have a 24 hour ECG (Holter monitor) starting tomorrow lunchtime.  We're still investigating me for POTS (not that the local hospital has even heard of it), no one's looking into the mast cell stuff yet.  I've been off my antihistamines and supplements for two weeks now, but the effects haven't worn off as much as I'd expected.  Being on a solid course of combi antihistamines, H2 blocker and quercetin for the last few months has evidently had quite an effect, as I am nowhere near as bad as I was three months ago.  This is great for me but lousy for diagnosis.

Can anyone give me advice on how to get my heart rate to jump around tomorrow?  The hospital trips will help, and I am hoping to crawl out to the local vegan potluck that evening, which should also tire me out.  I've been overdoing it for the last few days, and also am trying to more or less stay off salt for today and tomorrow.  I'm still not sure which foods trigger reactions, as it seems to be quite random.  I plan to spend some of the time lying down flat, and some of it standing up for as long as I can bear, although my HR hasn't been going up with standing as much as it used to due to the meds recently.  (In terms of other symptoms, I still get itchy and breathless after standing up, but at the moment I'm not tending to get overheated or sweaty.)  Anything else I can do?

Dx: ME (severe), migraine, fibromyalgia, low blood pressure, dermographism, vulvodynia, IBS, interstitial cystitis, various other bits and bobs.
Suspected POTS and mast cell disorder. Cousin with EDS.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: How to make symptoms show up for a 24 hour Holter Monitor
Reply #1 - 12/03/12 at 16:37:18

It is completely unsafe to TRY to make yourself trigger. If you don't have symptoms, then maybe something has changed for the better. Be happy if that is the case. Otherwise, though, I would urge you to give up your idea of trying to make yourself trigger. NOT advisable at all.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Batik
Rookie

Scotland
Reply #2 - 12/03/12 at 22:23:37

I didn't say that I don't have symptoms.  I'm profoundly disabled by this, housebound and often bedbound.  I was talking about one specific marker which has been less pronounced of late.  I realise the risks, but frankly I am more worried about what will happen to me if I don't get a diagnosis soon than what will happen if I have a bad week or two.  I don't know how much longer I can persuade them to keep me on all these antihistamines without a diagnosis to back them up.  I've been deteriorating for fifteen years, so I don't regard a couple of months where a few symptoms are slightly milder as a sign of magic recovery!

I'm certainly going to try to remain safe.  I've never had anaphylaxis, thankfully, so I'm not worried about that.  I'll probably wear my tinted specs for the hospital, as otherwise I'm likely to get migraine (they can't see what my heart is up to if I'm conked out on painkillers), plus I don't want to be collapsing in hospital from sensory overload, that would be extremely unpleasant and not particularly useful.  One plan is to have miso soup for brunch just before I go back to return the monitor.  It often makes me start overheating and pouring with sweat, so with any luck it'll make my HR jump about a bit, but then I will feel better from the electrolytes, just in time to recover at home.

I've also got an emergency alarm pendant from the local Community Alarm Service, a Medicalert bracelet, a booklet about my medical info and care needs in my handbag and another on the front door, and a set of emergency contacts, if that's any reassurance.  Plus support workers coming before and after the test, and a volunteer driver to take me to the hospital and push the wheelchair.

Dx: ME (severe), migraine, fibromyalgia, low blood pressure, dermographism, vulvodynia, IBS, interstitial cystitis, various other bits and bobs.
Suspected POTS and mast cell disorder. Cousin with EDS.

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 12/13/12 at 09:04:14

Have them order you up a more long-term monitor.  I've had those before. They are not so bad, and you can report the results right away to the call center. Don't try to force a reaction; that can be very dangerous.

If you get a more long term monitor, then go on about your daily business in a safe manner.  If something is wrong with your heart, they will pick it up.  If not, then that's a good thing.

It is hard to catch mast cell tachycardia on a monitor, because the episodes are so short-lived.  If that is the cause of your tachycardia, then it will disappear as soon as the histamine breaks down in your bloodstream, which can happen pretty quickly.

If you feel ill and have trouble breathing or feel like passing out, then get to the ER and have them take a blood sample and run a tryptase test on it.  That may help tell if you have an anaphylactic reaction going on.  They will usually give you a heart work up too.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print