Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Histamine a cause of depression, addiction & fatigue (Read 4186 times)
bongaan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
South Africa
Histamine a cause of depression, addiction & fatigue
12/10/12 at 02:09:52

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine_H3_receptor
Quote:
The H3 receptor has also been shown to presynaptically inhibit the release of a number of other neurotransmitters (i.e. it acts as an inhibitory heteroreceptor) including, but probably not limited to dopamine, GABA, acetylcholine, noradrenaline, and serotonin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H3_receptor_antagonist
Quote:
H3 antagonists have stimulant and nootropic effects, and are being researched as potential drugs for the treatment of neurodegenerative conditions such as Alzheimer's disease.

In other words if I understand it correctly, the H3 histamine receptor may play a very significant role in the amount of other neurotransmitters being released. More important it INHIBITS the release when histamine binds to it.

Serotonin play a very significant role when it comes to mood. People with high histamine levels may therefore experience:
- Anxiety in typically low stress situations
- Impatience without explanation
- Fatigue when you should feel rested and energized
- Cognitive impairment (inability to focus, poor memory, lack of mental clarity)
- Negative thoughts with no apparent cause
- Agitation
- Mania/obsession
- Mood swings
- Strong sugar cravings
- Chronic pain (fibromyalgia, migraines, back pain)
- Indifference to situations you typically would care deeply about
- Excessive worrying
- Inability to fall and stay asleep
- Masochism
- Moderate to overwhelming sadness
- Feeling worse and agitated during bad/dark weather

Dopamine is associated with pleasure and euphoria. People with low histamine therefore battle to experience pleasure and euphoria even though they may not necessarily feel depressed. Drug and sex addictions cause a temporary increase in dopamine and therefore the user experience pleasure and euphoria for a while. High histamine may therefore lead to addictions.

Unfortunately H3 antihistamines are still in it's infancy.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Histamine a cause of depression, addiction & fatigue
Reply #1 - 12/12/12 at 11:02:38

What you have here, Bongaan, is a brand new area of medicine calle Purinergics.  H3 blockers are brand new histamine blockers and yes, their job is to block the H3 histamine receptors in the neurological system, in the brain and outside of it.  

At yet, there is NO RESEARCH into how these mediators in the masto patient affect us.  We really would be the idea patient to study, or so you would think since we have an overload or an underproduction of these mediators.  But alas, nobody has considered this yet and so we patients have all kinds of reactions mediated by our dysfunctional MCs but no idea of how to compensate for this!    There is but one single study performed on the serotonin levels within masto patients by Dr. Dean Metcalfe of the NIH in 2008.   His study revealed that not only can our levels become elevated in some of us, but others of us have extremely low levels of serotonin and amongst these patients it was found that they had MORE symptoms than those who had elevated serotonin levels.  It is the lack of serontonin being produced within the entire body, not just the brain, which created more trouble.   I have a few theories about this but I'm still studying this and hoping to find doctors here in Brazil who might be able to help me find some kind of understanding about this.  

Interesting information there!!   Thanks!!!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

bongaan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
South Africa
Re: Histamine a cause of depression, addiction & fatigue
Reply #2 - 12/12/12 at 22:14:55

I'm just glad that after 12 years I've figured out that histamine was causing all my problems all these years. Severe mental problems and addictions. Strangely it is only since I reduced my histamine levels that I started to show typical MCAS type symptoms. But I'm now on a mission to get diagnosed and identify the source of the histamine, could be a broken DAO enzyme, could be masto, could be carcinoid I don't know.  I'm seeing my doc again this afternoon.

Thank you for this forum, even though it is a mast cell forum it helped me a lot to connect the dots and at least figure out that histamine (and possible other mediators) are behind all my problems. Now I can get better  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print