Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newbie but already responded : ) (Read 17381 times)
MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Re: Newbie but already responded : )
Reply #30 - 12/13/12 at 11:41:54

Hi Joan,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I'm in over my head in masto land tho.

I just used Xopenex at my dr office while doing a breath test.
I didn't react when I was there but did afterwards. I got so shakey I had to take a Klonopin.

It didn't help me breath any better either tho. My lungs still felt tight.

Singulair eliminated the tightness in my lungs but it may have contributed to seizure like feelings too. I'm off it for now but plan on retrying a lesser dose later.

I'm on Orapred for the next 3 day. It feels like it's helping my throat swelling but not the raw feeling. Of couse since it was swollen I didn't realize it felt raw / damaged.  The xopenex cause  throat burning and drainage within a few minutes of using it yesterday. So that didn't help.

My doc wants me on zantac or prevacid to see if what I'm feeling is from gerd. I don't feel like I get gerd often enough to use this but I'm finding out that sometimes using a med shows me I did need it.  Roll Eyes

tc ... Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #31 - 12/17/12 at 07:38:07

Hi MarciaB,

Zippy here.  I've been a PWC since 1984.  I started my "career" classically enough, bad case of Mono., never recovered, slow decent into CFS.  My mast cell type symptoms began in about 1991.  I discovered that I might have a mast cell disorder about 7 years ago, reading CFSExperimental.  I've been an active Cheney patient since 2002, before he had his heart transplant.

Other than being GFCF, the low histamine diet has been the only thing that has helped me.  I am cognisant of oxalates though, and don't eat anything on that superhigh list.  Meds. help me a lot.   I'm still experimenting with them.  I get a pure Doxepin Elixir from Wellness Pharm. in Birmingham, AL (per Cheney).  It's $$$, but it works for me. (You must specify NO FAVORING and NO STEVIA though).  I tried to switch to the same dose from Wal-Mart, but it had a yellow dye that blew me into orbit with burning skin.   So excipients are important.

I used to brew kombucha, milk kefir, tibicos, sauerkraut, the whole nine yards.   I loved it.  But in the end, it left me MUCH worse with my mast cell disorder.  One of my life's goals is to be able to eat that stuff again.  And chololate.    Smiley

I read at Pheonix Rising some too.  Seems like I know you from somewhere ?

Anyway, glad to see a fellow PWC here.  I think mast cells disorders are a common end point for some PWC's.  But fortunately, we don't have to worry about any of this, as CFS is not a "real" disease of any consequence.  

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #32 - 12/20/12 at 13:55:37

HI Zippy,

Good to know we don't have to worry about cfs.  Grin

I just found the web in 2005 after my gp told me to go on an elimination diet which excluded wheat, dairy, etc. but not gluten. Within a few days, I no longer had narcolepsy or felt jittery all the time.   I was so excited to finally find something that helped me after 15 1/2 years of just barely functioning with CFS.  Cool

While googling wheat free bread recipes I kept running into the word gluten. Everything I read about gluten intolerance rang a bell with me. After reacting so well to just eliminating wheat, I decided gluten was the next to go.  

I started out joining a celiac forum, then other cfs forums.
I'm xchocoholic in pheonix rising. I wound up on the low ox board after getting a couple of kidney stones. My kidney stone problem appears more related to letting my urine get dark / not drinking enough water and not oxalates. But I'm still being careful.  

I'm finding that I get pelvic and bladder pain from certain high ox foods and not others.  I can eat pistachios and walnuts without getting pain but not chocolate, almonds or peanuts. I suspect there's a mast cell connection not oxalate.    

We've both had quite the journey so far. I saw traditional doctors for 17 years then went the integrative doctor route.  And while I learned a lot about my body, as did my doctor,
I just learned about mast cells recently. Apparently I'm more thick headed than other pwcs ...  Roll Eyes

I've been on the paleo diet since 2008 and Wahls since Jan 2012. I'm monitoring my reactions for high histamine foods but am finding it hard to eliminate much more.  Chocolate was eliminated again yesterday.  Cry

I googled Doxepin. Good to hear it's working for you. It sounds like something that would knock me out. 25 mg of Vistaril knocked me out for 3 days ...  Roll Eyes

Good luck on your journey.  tc ... Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #33 - 01/29/13 at 01:51:00

Just a quick update. Taking 25 - 40 mg of zyrtec (wal-zyr) was
making it too hard for me to think straight so I'm down to 10 mg per day now.  It stopped working as well on my pelvic pain and oi too tho.

I'm still taking a tsp + of children's benadryl at night. And I'm using a children's chewable during the day for throat irritation. And taking NSAIDS for pain.

I'll be experimenting with holistic treatments next.

Oh and all those trigger foods I ate, nuts, teff (?) and chocolate, probably contributed to me getting more kidney stones which led to pyelonephritis and a trip to the er.  

I'm back to avoiding these and other high ox foods for now.

I have leaky gut so I'm assuming going nuts,  Cheesy , and eating my known trigger foods wasn't such a good idea for me. Rats.

Tc .. Marcia

« Last Edit: 01/29/13 at 13:28:12 by MarciaB »  

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #34 - 02/04/13 at 08:48:39

I'm back.   Roll Eyes

I'm using 5 mg at a time of Walzyr several times a day. 10 mg at a time was making me sleepy. I'm using between 10 - 20 mg daily.

I notice an improvement in my OI if I keep some zyrtec in me but not as much as I did initially.  BUT I did myself in by eating known trigger foods and getting kidney stones and a bad kidney infection.  Tongue

I still need to salt load too but I only use 2500 - 3000 mg daily. More makes me feel bad.  

tc ... Marcia

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print