Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newbie but already responded : ) (Read 17454 times)
MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Re: Newbie but already responded : )
Reply #15 - 10/24/12 at 13:10:05

I'm back. I'm just trying to get over my initial rookie reaction to another diet. Lol.

Thanks for the info Lyn. I found the tms emergency guidelines. I wasn't sure which urticaria site to use so I googled urticaria histamine diet and looked at the first one that popped up.

I'm not having all the common mast cell reactions like flushing, heat intolerance or
some of the intolerances listed.  But I'm in there with fm, bladder pain, allergies to most things on earth, pelvic pain and pots.

I just wonder if my labs will show a mast cell disorder.

That's as far as I got but I'm very grateful for the info. I'm feeling overwhelmed. I was reading wiki today too to try to get a grasp on mast cells. Oh, I have a drs appt set for 11/13 now. He's just a local allergist but we'll see. I need someone local to monitor my anaphylaxis now.  

I live in central fl so I'll be watching Sandy for the next 2 - 3 days.  We're expecting waves between 8 - 20 ft. I'll be checking those out from the shore not the water.  Cool

Tc .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #16 - 10/24/12 at 18:28:21

Oh, Marcia, I intended to add in the link.  Sorry I missed that.  
http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm

Don't fret too much about the low histamine diet, stress can make you flare.  Sad   Just do what you can and read up so you may recognize what could be a trigger for you.  Some also have issues with salicylates, as Pam mentioned.  Some have started out with a low histamine diet for a while then slowly added in new foods.  Others have already sorted out what works for them and pay attention when they add something new.  All this is so induvidualized, so there is no right or wrong.  If you feel your bucket is too full, then you may need to make more drastic changes.  All this is so overwhelming, but you are well on your mast cell journey.  

Lyn

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #17 - 10/25/12 at 08:57:29

Hi again,

I'm still reading ... Of course.

But I saw on the urticaria website that fermented foods were
high histamine. Does this mean that the coconut kefir I make using fresh young coconut and Metagenics probiotics is high histamine too ? Or is that really fermented ?

I only let it sit out for 28 hours tops so it doesn't change to vinegar. The bacteria are alive and actively eating the sugars in the coconut water when I refrigerate it. I'm getting confused between fermentation and simply feeding bacteria and allowing them to grow.

Eta. I just remembered that the co2 released when bacteria eat causes natural carbonation. Is that a factor ? My kefir is always fluffed up a bit when it's ready.
I stir it to remove the air tho.

Since I'm not swollen anywhere I think I'm ok. I'm eating some today that I made 2 days ago and so far so good.

I used to make kombucha tea and ferment veggies and I could tell by smell when
these were too vinegary. Is that what they consider high histamine ? I was swollen all the time back then so I couldn't tell you if I reacted.   Fwiw, making kombucha was fun but I never saw any health improvements.

Thanks .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #18 - 10/25/12 at 10:12:47

Marcia,
Perhaps you should try the elimination diet.  Directions are here on the forum.  Basically you stop everything except for a few items.  You give your body time to rest and heal, like a week then you only add one thing back in at a time.  That way you have total control over what goes in your body and can track how you feel with what you take in.  Every few days you only add one item.  If you react you remove it and wait a few days and try something else.
It is not fun, but very productive!

For the Kefir, Even if it is not furmented, it is most likey growing histamines.  I can't eat anything furmented without have a bad reaction.  If you have mast cell issues you may have to give all that up. I do know people on the forum take probiotics, however the last time I took them I had a bad reaction.
 Leftovers, and any thing cooked and not eaten NEEDS to be frozen immediately to prevent histamine growth. (esp. meats)
"Foods containing histamine—Aged protein containing foods and fermented foods commonly have increased histamine levels."
Here is a link to a good site:
http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm

I really don't know if coconut is high in histamine...I do know it IS high in salicylates, so I stay away from it for that reason.
You asked::: I just remembered that the co2 released when bacteria eat causes natural carbonation
Carbonation plays a huge roll in IC-It can make the bladder hurt.  Because it is acidic-I was taught this just last week someone on the forum connected the dots for me!  I couln't figure out why I hurt from drinking an all natural soda- with no preservatives...its the carbonation causing the problems.  You should look up the connection of IC with carbonation-It is very eye opening.
It sounds like you are doing a lot to try to help yourself heal, however  doing the elemination diet would be very basic and give you a little more control.

Pam

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #19 - 10/25/12 at 11:30:46

Hi PAM,

Thanks.  That's probably what I need to do at this point. I'm on the Wahls / low oxalate diet now because I eliminated all the foods that I knew I reacted too. I had no idea that POTS could be from an allergy.

I knew the throat swelling was from allergies but I thought it was relatively harmless as long as Benadryl took care of it.   Roll Eyes  

I'm still digesting the part about carbonation and IC. Sorry to hear it bothered you. I've had some homemade soda before too but can't remember getting bladder pain from it. But then again, I wasn't looking. Thanks ...    

Before I forget, I was googling fermentation and it occured to me that the bacteria in our guts are fermenting (breaking down foods via bacteria and yeast) foods all the time. So does this mean that we're getting histamine from that too ? Add my gastroparesis and lack of digestive enzymes and I've got a non stop histamine source.   Shocked

I can't fast due to hypoglycemia and seizures but I wonder if that would help reduce  our histamine levels.  OK, maybe I could if I stayed on seizure meds the whole time.    

tc .. Marcia

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #20 - 10/25/12 at 13:34:01

Marcia,
I can't fast because I'm hungery all the time!!! Grin  
I don't know if we have a constant histamine source, by just digesting foods, it does make sence though!  Maybe someone that knows more about that will respond!
I know people with mast cell issues have problems with the mast cells degranulating and letting the histamines out and/or having too many mast cells that don't behave normally.  This is the reason the antihistamines make us feel better, because it is limiting the degranulation of the mast cells.
I hope we have found some more pieces to your puzzle!

Pam

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #21 - 10/26/12 at 06:50:23

Hi PAM,

You sound like me. I'm always eating something. Are you a celiac ? I suspect that's why I do this. My family says I've been like this since I was a kid. Grazing is what they called it.  

When I get a chance I want to post my question about other forms of  ferments that may lead to histamine later. I was wondering if this is one of the reasons I have so many problems with beans and soaked nuts and seeds too. They seem to ferment or smell vinegary when I soak them. And I was soaking them to make them easier to digest.  Roll Eyes  

I need to look at yeast free diets or yeast allergies.

tx ... Marcia

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #22 - 11/07/12 at 02:01:55

Wanted to let you know I had my first negative diy poor man's tilt table test yesterday.  Cool

Thanks everyone !

My hr was 118 prior to test because my Wal-zyr hadn't kicked in yet.
I rested for an hour so my body could recover.

During my diy pmttt my hr only got up to 90 after 13 minutes. No petite mal or sob.  No bp drop after 3 minutes either.

I did still get feelings of hypoperfusion but I'm seriously deconditioned from having pots for 23 years.

Still too early to call a success but I just had to tell you.  Cool

Tc .. Marcia

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #23 - 12/03/12 at 13:56:02

I started taking mylan montelukast (generic singulair) 5 mg chewables today. I had 1 at 7:40 pm and didn't get sick so I had a second 5 mg about 15 minutes ago. My script calls for 10 mg daily.  

It coud be my imagination but it feels like my lungs are working better already.  Huh I have angioedema (vulvodynia, pots, etc ) most / all ? of the time so maybe it is helping already. It would be great to have a more permanent relief from these symptoms without needing to take so much zyrtec throughout the day.

I didn't see any gluten or dairy listed in the ingredients.  I know that the 4 & 5 mg brand name singulair are gfcf but I couldn't specifically find this info on this med. My co pay on this was low so that part was nice.

I'll let you know how I do. Tc .. Marcia

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #24 - 12/03/12 at 15:34:57

Marcia;
What is gfcf ? I have been on singulair for about 2 yr.s now, & it only became generic recently- boy was my wallet happy ! Wink
Could you ask your pharmacist for info on it ?
lori

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #25 - 12/03/12 at 16:08:20

Hi lori,

How long before you noticed an improvement on Singulair ? When I googled it, it said it would take a few days or weeks.  I've been responding quickly to allergy meds since I started this protocal in Sept tho.

Gfcf = gluten free casein free. G always stands for gluten but the c can mean corn but is assumed to stand or casein unless corn is specified. This is common terminology for elimination diets.  

I could ask the pharmacist but since I'm not reacting I feel safe that it's gfcf.  For now anyways. If I react, I'll call and verify this.

Saving money this time of year is especially nice ..  Cool

Tc .. Marcia

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #26 - 12/03/12 at 16:36:16

It works for my son within 24 hours.

Joan

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #27 - 12/03/12 at 23:19:31

Cool. At least that's shorter than other times I've seen listed.

I'm still breathing better. Honestly I had no idea lungs could work this easily. I can't remember the last time these didn't feel tight. I thought it was normal to feel tightness when breathing.   Undecided  

I wonder what an inhaler or nebulizer would do to me ?

Tc .. Marcia

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #28 - 12/04/12 at 05:16:02

Hi Marcia;
Singulair worked pretty quickly for me, I can't remember exactly, but I'd say within a week. (I always tell people not to start a question to me with "Do you remember Wink) I have asthma  & have been on advair, rescue inhalers, & a nebulizer for years. I almost never need to use the nebulizer anymore, & went from using advair 2x, to once a day. I find I only need the rescue inhaler -Pro Air- & nebulizer, when I get a bad cold/flu/allergy season.
I figured the gf was gluten free, but couldn't figure out the rest. Thanks. I am learning to get out of stores when I can't take it anymore. The smells are getting to me more than they used to, & I can tell a smoker from a yard away Tongue. I also feel the crowds & stress add to the "bucket".
I try to go early on a weekday.
take care,
lori

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #29 - 12/04/12 at 12:31:11

There are a number of oral inhalers.  They contain different types of drugs and have different inert ingredients and side effects.  The solutions for nebulizer have fewer ingredients, as they don't need propellants and other delivery systems, but always check packages and with the pharmacist.

Your doctor should have some ideas of meds that would be complementary to what you're already taken.  Do you have a peak flow meter?  It's a gadget you blow into and can tell how open your airways are.  It's a good gauge if you're having some asthma.  We used one with our son as the tool to determine if he needed to go on nebulizer treatments.

Sometimes I use an inhaled steroid (Flovent), but I'm sure it has something in it besides steroid since it leaves a white residue on the spacer I use.

Albuterol and other similar meds can cause some tachycardia and other side effects.  Xopenex has fewer side effects.  Both are bronchodilators and available by prescription.

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print