Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ketotifen in Tennessee ? (Read 2743 times)
zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Ketotifen in Tennessee ?
10/18/12 at 07:16:00

O.K.  Listmates, so let's take it to the next level.

How does one get Ketotifen in Tennessee ?

Apparently, there is some arcane law which makes it impossible for Clark's Pharmacy in Bellevue, WA. to compound a script for a patient in Tenn. (as they do not maintain a liscense in Tenn.).   They said there were about six other states in the U.S. with similar laws, where they could not/would not ship.

My doctor (Dr. Singer in Knoxville) said he would search for a pharmacy that would compound ketotifen in Tenn., but that it would likely be more expensive than Clark's, as they had a really good deal on their compounding.

So, how do I get ketotifen compounded in Tenn. ?   Compounded with what other ingredients that are typically least offensive to masto. patients ?   And is there a "work around" that would skirt the law, and allow me to get compounded ketotifen from Clark's Pharmacy anyway ?   The last option is preferred.

TIA,
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Ketotifen in Tennessee ?
Reply #1 - 10/18/12 at 12:44:04

You might want to call Clark's and ask them, if you haven't already. Otherwise, you can order it from a pharmacy in Canada.  I don't have the name of one, but someone on the forum probably does.

Joan

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Re: Ketotifen in Tennessee ?
Reply #2 - 10/18/12 at 18:58:17

Todd,
I am copying and pasting this from the TMS front page website (scroll down).  Hope this helps.  
Lyn

13-AUG-2012 - ZaditenŽ (Ketotifen)

ZaditenŽ (Ketotifen)

With much anticipation we are happy to announce that with the diligence of Kelli Foster our FDA/NORD representative patients with mast cell disorders can now order Ketotifen directly from the manufacturer, please read highlights below and ways to order!!!

BACKGROUND

For the last nine+ months, I have been tirelessly working to identify a safe, reliable and consistent source of ZaditenŽ (Ketotifen) for my daughter and myself. We have found that ZaditenŽ helps manage our Mastocytosis and Mast Cell Activation Disorder (MCAD) symptoms. ZaditenŽ is not available in the US. The only alternative we found was to have it compounded at a pharmacy. Due to personal preferences and concerns, I continued my investigation into procuring the brand name ZaditenŽ medication and expanded my search internationally. After a number of phone calls and emails between Novartis, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and various international pharmaceutical companies, I was finally able to trace who "owned" ZaditenŽ (Ketotifen).

HIGHLIGHTS

Novartis transferred the license for ZaditenŽ (Ketotifen) Tablets 1mg and Elixir 1 mg/5 ml to Defiante Farmaceutica, S.A. (Defiante) in 2010.

Since 2010 Defiante Farmaceutica, S.A. holds the authorization to commercialize ZaditenŽ (Ketotifen) Tablets 1mg and Elixir 1 mg/5 ml in the United Kingdom (UK).

For commercial and logistic issues, Defiante Farmaceutica, S.A. signed a distribution agreement with Swedish Orphan Biovitrum Ltd. (SOBI).

In general, the distribution agreement states that Defiante supplies SOBI with ZaditenŽ and SOBI handles medication storage, supply, marketing and distribution activities within the UK.

ZaditenŽ (Ketotifen) 1mg tablets are manufactured with exactly the same quality, safety and efficacy profile as the Novartis supplied product. Defiante maintained the same composition, manufacturing method and specifications as Novartis.

The FDA has been very supportive and has guided me through the procedures that should be followed regarding the Personal Use Importation Policy of unavailable medications for patients under the care of a physician. Please keep in mind that the FDA does not promote the use of these products for off-label use but do understand that there are circumstances when a physician may believe under the practice of medicine that the products could be of benefit in certain patients. Nor does the FDA promote the use of a medication unapproved in the U.S. as this would be.

After many conversations with the FDA and because of the newly formed relationships between Defiante, SOBI and Masters Pharmaceuticals Ltd (a global specialty healthcare company with a heritage of over 25 years working with Manufacturers, Hospitals, Pharmacists, Governments and individual patients with the singular objective of 'Improving lives through patient access') brand name ZaditenŽ (Ketotifen) is available for Mastocytosis and Mast Cell Activation Disorder patients with a valid prescription through Personal Use Importation.

HOW TO ORDER

Secure a signed prescription for brand name ZaditenŽ (Ketotifen) from your physician.

Contact Julie at Masters Pharmaceuticals Ltd (1-800-969-1152) for product and shipping costs.

Fax the signed prescription for ZaditenŽ 1mg tablets to Masters Pharmaceuticals Ltd (1-800-969-1153 - Attention: Julie).

Provide appropriate payment (i.e. credit card, etc...) for prescription order.

WHAT TO EXPECT

Once Masters Pharmaceuticals Ltd has received your prescription and payment, they will prepare your prescription for International shipping.

NOTE: All international medication shipments are subject to the FDA Personal Use Importation Policy (see attachment) and US Customs Inspections. You should receive your three (3) month supply of brand name ZaditenŽ within approximately 10 business days.
The brand name ZaditenŽ (medication manufactured by Defiante Farmaceutica, S.A. distributed by Swedish Orphan Biovitrum Ltd. (SOBI))

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print