Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Singulair goes off US patent protection August 2012 (Read 3480 times)
Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Singulair goes off US patent protection August 2012
07/05/12 at 17:24:30

FYI:  I just read that Singulair goes off US patent protection August 3, 2012.  It was already extended last year, so from what I have read, it should expire this time.  This should open the door for generics, lower cost, but also new formulations, which could cause havoc for many of us.  

I should have figured out something was up when the company personally sent me a letter informing me of the benefits of the med.  They were just trying to build loyalty.  

Lyn

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Singulair goes off US patent protection August 2012
Reply #1 - 07/06/12 at 15:31:57

Yahoo!!!!

I, for one, am really looking forward to this.  I take 30mg a day, which costs more than $400/month for brand-name Singulair.  I have good insurance, but still... I know it's a big expense.

I'm also (finally) planning to switch to powdered cromolyn sodium very soon.  I wonder how low I can get my monthly Rx bill? Cool

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/09/12 at 18:27:20

UPDATE:  FDA grants 10 companies rights to market generic Singulair.    

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-03/business/chi-fda-oks-generic-singu...

It's coming!!!    YEAH!!!!!!!

Lyn

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/23/12 at 19:00:20

Hi all,
I have some exciting news to share!!   Got a very interesting call from the pharmacist at my pharmacy yesterday.  He told me that TEVA has a generic singulair and the pharmacist checked it for the FD&C dyes and he said other than some iron oxide dyes, he thought it looked good for me.  He wanted to know if he shoud fill the generic or brand?  

I asked him to fill the brand, until I could read over the ingredients and decide when I will be stable enough to try a switch.  I explained I am now tapering up on several of my meds and I would hate to throw that variable into my mix right now.  

He also shared that my co-pay is $50 now for brand (2 pills a day), and that the generic cost goes down to $7, saving $43 a month!  

I knew it was coming, I just didn't think it would come so SOON!!  He said they expect several more generics to come in soon, likely starting a low bidding war.  
Lyn

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 08/26/12 at 13:46:32

Just got opened my meds from my mail order pharmacy, and as promised, the pharmacist incldued a printout on the new TEVA generic Singlulair, = montelukast.  The ingredients list includes ferric oxide red and yellow and not FD&C dyes!  

I do see SLS and lactose monhydrate, and starch in case those trigger anyone.  

Lyn

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 10/18/12 at 19:10:31

Has anyone tried any of the Singlulair generics out there?    My doc and I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get brand Singulair 2 times a day (ongoing script) for me.  

Wondering how long before my insurance company "compels" me to switch to generic.  

I'd love to hear about any experience (positive or negative) with the generics.  
Thanks,
Lyn

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 10/19/12 at 08:37:20

this is a me too on the singular....did not want to take generic...so checked WITH THE INSURANCE CO MAIL ORDER PHARMACY....and I could get it with no problems...
this happened with a couple of more meds that I normal got from my pharm...they would only allow me generic...BUT if I ordered from THEIR PHARM..or whoever they use...I could get the brand name...if you have to go this route be sure that the doctor says....BRAND NAME...I suspect this is only going to get worse
redbird

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 10/19/12 at 17:43:15

Redbird,
Thanks so much for this tip.  I suspect it will come in handy.

Just as I suspected, my doc faxed back the preauth and I got a call from the nurse that it was finally approved with some additional justification, then three hours later got a voicemail from my pharmacy that only generic was approved.  I'll call on Monday and get my doc's nurse to specify brand only and see what happens.  Plan B will be to check out the mail order option if needed.  

Thanks again,
Lyn

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 10/20/12 at 04:52:26

just so that you know how silly all of this is....
I have for years taken ranident in capsule form...recently my pharm said the only thing I was allowed on my insurance now was tablets..but I did not like the tablet form...
so I called the pharm used by the insurance co and sure enough they would furnish capsules if I ordered it from them via their mail order program...
I cannot print here the words the pharm said..

redbird

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print