Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Local Anesthetics (Read 8573 times)
Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Re: Local Anesthetics
Reply #15 - 09/11/12 at 07:40:51

I wanted to reiterate that I am not questioning carrying epi pens, as I feel a bit in control knowing I have immediate access to them.  And I'm willling to take the risk of sulfites in the epi pens. But I can also see how this risk may too high for others.  

But I do think think a different issue is the barrage of preservatives and additives in every medication I've been given in the hospital, doctor's office or dentist.  I've reacted when I shouldn't have, and instead of considering an allergy to each of those active ingredients, I'm finding patterns in the inactive ingredients, mainly the known degranulators.  While I have done a decent job of sorting out my reactions to pills, I began to look at the injectable meds and found likely trends here.  

And while I have several willing knowledgable physicians and even a mast cell expert on board with my case, I do not for a second believe they have an innate knowledge of these preservatives, additives and dyes, or how they trigger mast cells to degranulate .  They have all told me to avoid the things that make me ill.  As I am figuring this out, I am sharing with others in case this helps you figure out your own triggers.  It is all about connecting the dots.  

Redbird, thanks for the tip on giving us IV benedryl slowly and not in a bolus.  Good to know.

I love that this forum provides a environment to throw out ideas and experiences and see what others have learned and experienced. That varied viewpoint has helped shape my approach to this lousy disorder and most importantly validate what I had been thinking or considering or steering me in a different direction.  

Best wishes on connecting your own dots.  
Lyn  

« Last Edit: 09/11/12 at 16:11:54 by Doozlygirl »  

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #16 - 09/11/12 at 17:38:20

Agreed

To clarify my last post,  I meant carrying them already drawn up in syringes. I agree doing the drawing while reacting would be suboptimal unless there is someone with you familiar with it. I know this has worked for some with known reactions to preservatives.

But as always, to each his own and we all need to do what's best for each of us Smiley Cool

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #17 - 09/12/12 at 17:30:50

Redbird,

About the Benadryl, this has been a huge worry for me because of the 2 "reactions" I had to it when given IV.  I thought it was a preservative, but maybe not.  

When you say injection, did you mean IV?  I haven't had a problem with a regular injection in my hip and I don't think they'll give those slowly, but I did have a huge problem with it by IV.  Did you have one to an injection?  

The second time I had a problem, I thought she was giving it to me very slowly when my throat suddenly and completely closed again.  It only lasted a few seconds, but scare the heck out of me.  I wasn't sure if it was a vocal chord problem or muscular or what.

Do you know where I can read about this happening with Benadryl?  Was it your particular doctor who said to give it over 2 minutes just for you, or would other doctors know that, too?  Did you have a reaction from having it too quickly, too?

Joan

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - 09/13/12 at 07:24:04

Hey Joan...
to answer your question...part of my treatment for ER from my doctor includes a combination of three meds given to me in an injection...
one is benadryl...and the length of time for this shot is 2 minutes because of the benadryl..
now I am not sure that this came from a doctor however Linda B who use to be the TMS chairman and reg. nurse..told me about it along with another old timer at the masto site who had such a bad time with the injection etc..so I have heard from several people including the ones mentioned this is what they have done..
for me since shocking for me is such a horrible thing I have always uses this method because I did not want to take a chance..
so to answer your question...you would have to ask your doctor..
much love
redbird

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #19 - 09/13/12 at 19:18:42

Thanks, Redbird.  I will.

Joan

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #20 - 09/25/12 at 07:20:59

Wanted to share an update:  
Recently I've had multiple dental appointments and was given carbocaine 3% from a single dose injector vial, (meaning no methylparabens) without  epinepherine (meaning no sulfites) and I did really well tolerating the various procedures I had.  

This is the first time in memory that I didn't react after a dental procedure.  I was 10 years old when I first reacted to novacaine, and this is the first time I had an estimated guess what to avoid.  My new dentist was able to confirm from my previous dental records that I previously was injected with various local anesthetics with epi (and therefore sulfites) in the past.

I also avoided BPA, mercury, the topical local anesthetic, and the tooth coloring dyes, which I am sure helped keep my bucket from overflowing.    

I avoided the dentist for several years because of my reactions and I am no longer fearful of going to the dentist.  Now that I have my mast cell decoder ring, I am slowly connecting some big time dots for me.  I hope my experience can help someone else connect some dots!

Lyn            

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print