Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fingers and thumb peeling (Read 6897 times)
PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

fingers and thumb peeling
08/19/12 at 16:55:47

I am losing my mind over this.  What triggers this?  Is it a mast cell thing?  Is it something I ate or touched?  Could it be the skin of bananas?  I've been making banana bread often because I seem to tolerate it.  Could it be rubber gloves?

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: fingers and thumb peeling
Reply #1 - 08/20/12 at 05:30:17

I went to my dad's office today (as I do everyday) and when I walked in the bathroom I saw Irish Spring bar soap.  I think this is the culprit.  Anyone else allergic to this?

List of ingredients:

Soap (sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate and/or sodium palm kernelate), Water, Hydrogenated Tallow Acid (skin conditioner), Coconut Acid, Glycerin (skin conditioner), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentetate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Titanium Dioxide, D&C Green No. 8, FD&C Green No. 3

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/20/12 at 05:42:53

Irish Spring is the worst!!!!! I can't handle it one bit! Out of curiosity, what kind of symptoms do you have when you run into something like Irish Spring??

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/20/12 at 07:12:19

It's hard for me to put my finger on triggers most of the time, but last week I was in bed a lot with pure exhaustion and this is when I was using Irish Spring.  Right now I feel okay but my fingers won't stop peeling.  This happens a few times a year.  I also wonder if it has to do with hayfever allergy?  Just shoot me.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 08/20/12 at 13:29:52

COuld be all of the above!

I've never had that specific symptom but I react to rubber/latex, some foods, and almost all personal products. I would eliminate them all as a start.

potsmamma has this symptoms you might want to message her

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/20/12 at 13:32:21

Thanks Ana I also looked up Xanax and this is a serious side effect.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #6 - 08/21/12 at 08:51:38

I love Irish Spring, but my body hates it!  I used to use this all the time.  Now I don't!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 08/21/12 at 19:54:17

Hi Pam,

I have peeling on my fingers around my nails.  It's not too bad but enough to be a bit bothersome.   I also have peeling at other places on my body, like my lips and around my eyes, that seems to happen in response to too much of a particular food trigger, e.g. salicylates, or perfumes.  Sometimes it is terrible!  Interestingly, the peeling on my face seems to happen in places that I used to get angioedema but don't now that I am on a good combination of meds.  

I use a lot of lotion overnight (doctor-prescribed and trigger-free).

I have no idea what mediator causes it.  Wish I knew!

Larken

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 08/22/12 at 06:06:12

Could some of the peeling be from dryness due to antihistamines?  I think that's what causes it for me.  It seems to be worse when I'm flaring and taking more meds.

Joan

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 08/24/12 at 14:16:25

Well this is what I found out about my fingers tonight.

Keratolysis exfoliativa
Normally, exfoliation is restricted to a particular area and normal skin will replace the exfoliated parts, so no treatment is needed. Since keratolysis exfoliativa is caused by friction, detergents, and solvents, these factors should be avoided. Creams, especially those with silicone and lactic acid are also helpful.

Lactic acid is ingredient in my beloved Utz salted sourdough pretzels that I eat by the handful.  The sourdough has the lactic acid in it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print