Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mast cells are important modifiers of autoimmune disease (Read 4854 times)
peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Mast cells are important modifiers of autoimmune disease
06/08/12 at 20:52:59

http://www.frontiersin.org/Inflammation/10.3389/fimmu.2012.00147/ful

lThere is abundant evidence that mast cells are active participants in events that mediate tissue damage in autoimmune disease. Disease-associated increases in mast cell numbers accompanied by mast cell degranulation and elaboration of numerous mast cell mediators at sites of inflammation are commonly observed in many human autoimmune diseases including multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and bullous pemphigoid. In animal models, treatment with mast cell stabilizing drugs or mast cell ablation can result in diminished disease. A variety of receptors including those engaged by antibody, complement, pathogens, and intrinsic danger signals are implicated in mast cell activation in disease. Similar to their role as first responders in infection settings, mast cells likely orchestrate early recruitment of immune cells, including neutrophils, to the sites of autoimmune destruction. This co-localization promotes cellular crosstalk and activation and results in the amplification of the local inflammatory response thereby promoting and sustaining tissue damage. Despite the evidence, there is still a debate regarding the relative role of mast cells in these processes. However, by definition, mast cells can only act as accessory cells to the self-reactive T and/or antibody driven autoimmune responses. Thus, when evaluating mast cell involvement using existing and somewhat imperfect animal models of disease, their importance is sometimes obscured. However, these potent immune cells are undoubtedly major contributors to autoimmunity and should be considered as important targets for therapeutic disease intervention.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Mast cells are important modifiers of autoimmune disease
Reply #1 - 06/18/12 at 05:57:30

INCREDIBLE ARTICLE, PETER!!!!!!!!!!!   WOW!!!! ShockedWOW!!!! ShockedWOW!!!!

I sent it off to one of my doctors and she wrote back within about 10 minutes saying what a tremendous article it is!!!!!

You hit the jackpot, brother!!!! Cheesy

thanks! Kiss

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 06/18/12 at 09:37:51

This is so interesting!  Thanks for posting this, Peter.

When Dr. Theoharides was here, we asked whether he thought if mast cells were continuously stabilized with Gastrocrom, ketotifen, or his formulas, could that cause their numbers to decrease.  He said he didn't know yet but are looking for that.

Joan

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 06/18/12 at 19:06:27

no joan just to stabilized but that is grate if ther NUMBERS ARE not going UP what are you doing out of bed at this time over there

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 06/22/12 at 11:32:10

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1751-553X.2012.01427.x/full

Current state of biology and diagnosis of clonal mast cell diseases in adults

this ONE is my JACKPOT

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 06/22/12 at 14:16:45

Peter,

Great article!  

Do you notice some differences in the B and C criteria from previous lists?  I did, particularly the mention of sclerotic and osteolytic lesions, and when those are significant.

Thanks,

Joan

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 06/22/12 at 17:40:40

hi joan i think ther will soon be another type of sm it will be called
CHRONIC clonal mast cell disesse

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1