Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
has anyone ever reacted to sodium cromoglicate with tight throat, and anaphylactoid reaction? (Read 2484 times)
amberstars
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

has anyone ever reacted to sodium cromoglicate with tight throat, and anaphylactoid reaction?
06/07/12 at 08:07:58

hi

my family doctor just agreed to give me sodium cromoglicate in pill form on private prescription in the uk here. ( i tried a very small amount of antihistamine that people are least likely to react to and reacted to it) i may have this wrong but i thought that i read that sodium cromogclicate can sometimes adversely mess around with mast cells. i read that not all people can take it. i understand that you are supposed to work up to the full dose

thanks

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Re: has anyone ever reacted to sodium cromoglicate with tight throat, and anaphylactoid reaction?
Reply #1 - 06/08/12 at 02:09:47

I think you are refering to cromolyn sodium (gastcrom).  I am a shocker and a leaker.  When I started cromolyn I was extremely sensitive to everything. I like to explain it as pouring water into a fish bowl.  It kinda mixes things up for awhile...for me it was a week. I was anaphilaxing over everything...meaning my throat would swell. This was my normal though-that may be important.  You name it I had a problem with it food, environment etc. I spent most of the week in my "safe" room with a giant air cleaner and I was mostly in bed because I was so sick.
I have been on it about 3 to for months and would say it has been the best thing I could take. It has really helped me.
Sometimes if my bucket is full and I take my cromolyn I can feel my throat swell slightly. But keep in mind throat swelling is normal for me.
I know some people can not tollerate it.  I felt I had no choice but to get through the initial horrible side effects and get on the benefits.
One thing I also want to mention, I don't know what your probems are but cromolyn will not heal you, it just helps control your symptoms.  I wanted to cry the day the Dr. laid this one on me!
I have a lot more flexability in where I go and what I can eat, but I still cant go certain places and if I eat certain foods I will still go into anaphilaxis.  Got to know the boundries and respect them.
good luck!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

amberstars
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: has anyone ever reacted to sodium cromoglicate with tight throat, and anaphylactoid reaction?
Reply #2 - 06/09/12 at 08:18:49

thanks for explaing this. so, it took a week for you to get a really tough time with it. you were pretty tough to hang in there, the first week that you took it. i'm wondering whether it is because you are a leaker that throat swelling is normal for you.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #3 - 06/09/12 at 10:42:02

It was a long week!  I think that "leakers" are always leaking symptoms, where a "shocker" will go into anaphilaxis with their symptoms. So I think the throat swelling is more of a shocker reaction.
I was on three doses for a month or so.  Once I went up to the 4th dose a day, I was reactive again. But the meds have really helped me!
Good luck!
Pam Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print