Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dosing and Side Effects (Read 1828 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Dosing and Side Effects
06/21/12 at 15:15:51

My friend was having some acute mast cell activation, probably due to a parasitic infection.  She was taking several different antihistamines and at one point began hallucinating.  The pruritis was so bad that apparently she had a little too much antihistamine which caused some crazy symptoms, including hearing a choir singing, seeing animated teddy bears in the tree outside, and others that were pretty frightening, X-Files kind of visions!

The point here is that doctors can tell patients what they believe is the maximum dose of an antihistamine, but it might just be simply too much for that particular person.  If you need to add something for breakthrough symptoms, make sure someone else is around if possible.  

Only add one medicine at a time, and write down any changes in your feelings or behavior.  Try to alternate meds so you aren't taking the same thing all day every day.

Be sure to read about any and all meds you are taking or plan to try.  Read especially well the interactions with other meds and/or foods and the signs and symptoms of overdose.

Luckily, the outcome in this case was to cut out some meds, and the hallucinations went away!

« Last Edit: 06/22/12 at 13:31:42 by Joan »  

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Dosing and Side Effects
Reply #1 - 06/21/12 at 16:57:34

Thanks for sharing this Joan!

The name for antihistamine overdose is "anticholinergic syndrome" and the phrase for remembering its symptoms is

Mad as a hatter---hallucinations like your friend/delirium
Red as Beet
Dry as a bone
Blind as a bat
Hot as a hare
The bowel and bladder lose their tone
and the Heart runs alone (tachy)

In my early stages I thought I was having it as I was soo "Red as  beat" but it was hard to differentiate from the usual flushing. So I'm not sure which was which. I cut back on the benadryl in case

That must've been scary for your friend!
« Last Edit: 06/21/12 at 19:02:43 by Anaphylaxing »  

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Dosing and Side Effects
Reply #2 - 06/22/12 at 13:32:46

Not as scary as it was for her husband!

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print