Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
problem with antihistamines? (Read 2760 times)
deblevstern
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

problem with antihistamines?
05/07/12 at 13:52:40

I am in the process of being diagnosed with MCAS....heparin level 4x normal and waiting for other test results. The dr. started me on low dose H1 and H2 blockers last week (Zantac 75 and Allegra 60)2x day. I have noticed that I have had a constant stinging sensation in my face since starting this regimen...in the past Quercetin always helped with stinging/flushing and it is not helping now....anyone have any idea what is going on with me?I am also on Prevastatin 20mg for cholesterol and low dose xanax prn.  Help!!!!
Thanks, Debbie

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: problem with antihistamines?
Reply #1 - 05/07/12 at 19:31:52

I don't know what's happening for sure, but I would switch H1 (and H2 blocker, if needed), one at a time.  Zyrtec might work as an H1 blocker and Pepcid, 20 mg. as an H2 blocker.  Or, you can try each of your current meds at a lower dose and see if that helps.

One thing came to mind, in that the quercetin has stopped working, and that is whether the H2 blocker is too strong and you don't have enough stomach acid to break down the capsule and for absorbing the quercetin.  You could try just using an evening dose of the H2 blocker and take the quercetin in the morning  or you can take the quercetin 2 hours before you try to take the H2 blocker in the morning.

Do ask your doctor first, before changing any Rx meds.

Joan

IP Logged

deblevstern
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/08/12 at 10:38:25

OMG Joan, you are so smart!
What a great idea.....I will take the Quercetin 2 hrs. before the H2 as I am on the lowest dose of H1 and H2 blockers already. Today does already seem better with the facial stinging. I wonder if it is possible also, that new meds stir up the mast cells and cause problems before things settle down. Thanks so much. That was so helpful. Debbie

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/08/12 at 13:07:16

when I first started the H1 and H2 histamine blockers I felt awful. I had too experiment with all the different ones I finally found that xyzal is the best for me along with zantac, I also found if I took a low dose of my H1 blocker in the beginning it was like all the bad symptoms seemed to flare a couple of hours after I took it, so I just had too up the medications and keep sampling different ones. Interesting the Quercetin helped you I took it for a while but I felt sicker on it and actually my Dr. told me too stop taking it said there was not enough research into its use and did believe it helped so I stopped taking it, I think its great it has helped you taking natural thing I think is so much better for you

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 05/08/12 at 18:29:22

Sometimes it just takes a while for our bodies to get used to a new medicine, the same way it has problems with new foods.  Definitely report all reactions to your doctor(s), and if you have any serious side effect, quit taking it.  Hope it goes better tomorrow!

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print