Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shingles vaccine? Anyone had it and if so.... (Read 2028 times)
texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Shingles vaccine? Anyone had it and if so....
04/26/12 at 04:06:08

Shingles vaccine- - -has anyone had it?  I am worried about getting it, but equally worried about getting the shingles as a I had horrid case of chicken pox years ago.  I am in a pretty decent place as far as the joint/muscle and neuropathic pain goes after doing a couple of months on gastrocrom (which I can't take continuously because it kills my GI).  Honestly, I don't want to trigger all that again with a vaccine, but am worried if I get the shingles, well you get the picture, it could be extra awful.  Any thoughts?

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Shingles vaccine? Anyone had it and if so....
Reply #1 - 04/26/12 at 09:04:26

Do talk over your specific case with your doctor, but my doc contacted Dr. Akin and Dr. Castells about it.  They both replied that it's okay for me to take the vaccine, but to pre-medicate with antihistamines 1 hour before, 6 hours after and 12 hours after the injection.  (I have SM but no UP)

If you react to things within a specific period of time, you can wait at the doctor's office just to make sure you don't react.  I usually have reactions an hour after, so I wait an hour post shot.  Don't know if there's anything in that vaccine that should be avoided by people who react to eggs, but I'm sure your doctor will know.

Joan

IP Logged

femaillady
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Colorado
Re: Shingles vaccine? Anyone had it and if so....
Reply #2 - 06/23/12 at 07:50:06

I was doing some research on the shingles vaccine since my sister was just diagnosed with shingles.  I keep running across this statement:  You should not get the vaccine if you  have ever had a life-threatening allergic reaction to gelatin, the antibiotic neomycin or any other component of the shingles vaccine.  I cannot find out what "any other component" might be, but antibiotics and I do not get along, so it might not be a good idea for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print