Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Benadryl (diphenhydramine) problems? (Read 5860 times)
Targs66
Rookie

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) problems?
04/24/12 at 03:37:34

I am pretty new to all this....

I started taking the "old" Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at night to help with sleep problems.  I am hypersensitive to meds so just a tiny crumb is enough to help me sleep.

However, I've noticed that in the past few weeks I have had some weird allergic-like reactions: I am terribly itchy all over my torso, my foot is numb and tingly and I've just been feeling worse than usual.  (I have chronic fatigue and dysautonomia, so I'm always feelign tired and ill, but can usually get at least a few hours of the day where I am reasonably functional.)

I noticed that the Benadryl insert lists as potential side effects what sounds like masto issues: difficulty breathing, swollen throat and tongue, and so on.  It makes me wonder - can Benadryl make some people's mast cell reactions worse, rather than better??

thanks in advance for any input!!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Benadryl (diphenhydramine) problems?
Reply #1 - 04/24/12 at 10:55:10

Hi Targs

Everyone is different as far as which meds they can tolerate and which they can't, so it is good that you are being cautious. If your doc thinks it safe you could try stopping the benadryl for a time and see if those other symptoms go away. Later you could consider another anithistamine instead.

I get tingling and itching as part of my reactions be it to drugs, foods, smells etc

Keep us posted

IP Logged

Targs66
Rookie

Reply #2 - 04/26/12 at 03:03:34

Thanks for your reply...

Unfortunately, I don't have a doc - am in the UK and my GP just isn't interested.

I may try stopping the benadryl, as you suggested.  I do like the way it helps me sleep, though!  Will have to try to find something similar.

thanks!

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #3 - 05/12/12 at 06:24:47

I can't take the pink benedryl because of red 40.  I am very salicylate sensitive and can't have food coloring.   The oxide colorant I seem to tollerate better.  I found benedryl in blue, it is a sleep aid.  Same med different box, different color.  Not pink!!
Pam Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #4 - 05/12/12 at 08:39:07

I can only take the clear children's liquid benedryl that says dye free/alcohol free.   I should buy stock in benedryl, I go thru about 3 bottle a week.  PS it does not make me sleepy at all

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #5 - 05/12/12 at 08:55:35

Wendy,
YOu must be immune to its side effects!! Wink
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #6 - 05/12/12 at 13:00:04

Pam I don't know, my doc said my body must use it all

IP Logged

deblevstern
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 05/12/12 at 13:31:38

Wow, I just wanted to write about this and saw your post! I am struggling terribly with finding a H1 blocker that won't trigger stinging in the face and nausea...I tried Benedryl liquid today and had facial stinging for about an hour and nausea. So far I have tried, Claritin,Allegra,Zyrtec, Hydroxizine and Benedryl and they all give me a bad stinging sensation in the face. I too read that H1 blockers can cause stinging as a side effect.

The H2 blockers do help me with itchy,hurting ears, sore throat, itchy throat etc.
Does anyone else get facial stinging from H1 blockers and if so, what do you take for MCAS????? Help!! Debbie

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 05/12/12 at 19:15:05

I use dye free Benedryl liquid gels, which are clear.  Also bought Walgreens dye free diphenhydramine gel caps, but haven't had to take them yet.  

Like Pam, I am highly sensitive to dye colorings in meds and seem to tolerate the iron oxide dyes.  

Lyn

IP Logged

Targs66
Rookie

Reply #9 - 05/13/12 at 00:33:22

There's a product here (in UK) called Boots Sleep Ease which is just diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in white tablet form, which might solve problems with dyes.  I don't know if there's something similar in the US?

Debbie - sorry to hear about your problems with the facial stinging!!  That's got to be frustrating...  I'm afraid I don't know what you can do for an H1.... anyone else?

-Shel

IP Logged

cutty sark
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 05/13/12 at 03:26:44

What about some of the natural sleep aids, Shel. Kalms or Valerian might help.

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #11 - 05/13/12 at 05:36:53

Have you tried Atarax for an H1.  I was on that one for a couple of years before I had to change my cocktail.  

IP Logged

deblevstern
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 05/13/12 at 09:37:08

Thank you WEndy. I did try Hydroxizine (Atarax). I became nauseated and it caused the facial stinging. I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have????Debbie

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #13 - 05/13/12 at 11:07:10

Deb I can't think of any other H1 yet but I wonder if your one of the very rare people who react to H1 like I had every adverse reaction to Gastrocrom, I can't take that at all.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #14 - 05/13/12 at 15:46:03

Other H1s include Xyzal, Chlortrimeton, chlorpheniramine maleate, Sinequan (doxepin).  If you call a pharmacist, they'll tell you the names of all they sell.  Just be sure not to take any with decongestants in them, because those can cause symptoms to flare.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print