Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new update (Read 4328 times)
Keri
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

new update
04/03/12 at 01:26:23

Hello everyone, I have not posted for awhile but have checked in from time to time. I have had lots of tests, bone marrow, tryptase etc. Seems as if i have the all clear and no tumours etc. It was a bit scary going through it all but good to know I'm not in any real danger zone. My GP put me on a medication called serc (im in Australia and realise medication names are differnt) It is a histimine one and three blocker and I have found it quite helpful more so than zyrtec. I take Zantac twice daily, with pain meds due to deep bone pain and muscle pain in check but some days are terrible. What I find the most difficult to deal with is the sweat that I break out in and generally in the mornings and when moving about. I hate mornings as they are my most difficult, I am generally better by the end of the day. fatigue is another but is now not as bad as it was, I would  sleep for days on end. My worst time for fatique is during my periods and now realise thats when my masto is increased, started taking a  hormone pill to control bleeding (just prior and two days into cylce) and realised I felt better so i'm going to experiment and take a half dose everyday to see how i go. I'm having a bad time for the past two weeks off and on but am thankful I have not returned to the days when I was bed ridden for months and symptoms were over the top. I struggle everyday but somedays are great others are not so great. Since i started the serc i noticed a big change virtually no ringing in the ears, far less nauesa, no blurred vision, far less dizzy spells, less stomach pain and cramping. I have greater periods of being well enough to do odd handyman jobs around the house ( as I have no hubby) I am able to go out more and enjoy normal things but I do have to take really good care of myself, any change in tempreture can cause a reaction, going from a hot car to a shoping center with aircon or visa versa. Winter is also a bit of a struggle for me..in the summer by 2pm im in my room with the aircon on but at 25 degrees or i can be triggered by trying not to be triggered by the heat..here in OZ it's been pretty hot expecially where I live and house I live in. I have plans for the future to move, as my kids grow i will need to down size and find a home and area more kinder to my tempramental illness.
Ive really gotten a great deal out of all the information on this site..and it has helped my doctors as well. My neuro, first diagnosed me and i am his only patient with it, so he is learning along with me. One month before i saw him he read a medical book about Mast cell and as i shared my story with him he remembered what he read. I am thankful I have a good GP cause she was the one who thought to give me the serc..Any suggestions for me are greatfully received.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: new update
Reply #1 - 04/03/12 at 09:08:22

It sounds as though you've made some progress, and that's great!  

I'm wondering if anyone ever tested you for Lyme disease or other tick-borne illness or for parasites.  Those can cause mast cell problems.

Also wondering if you're watching your diet and figuring out food triggers.

I haven't heard of Serc, but certainly plan to look it up.  I'd love to get rid of this ear ringing.  Don't know if it's available in the U.S., though.  Are you also taking any other medicines?

I wonder whether moving now, as opposed to waiting, might improve your health.  It's so important to have a home that's comfortable!  It takes a long time for kids to grow up, and if Mama is well and happy, everybody's happy!

Joan

IP Logged

Adalinda
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 04/05/12 at 16:54:49

Hi, I am very new to this forum and noticed your post. I live in Melbourne and I'm having health issues yet again. There just doesn't seem to be the knowledge about this issue here in OZ. An allergist 9 years ago diagnosed me with 'mast cell instability', now as I read the experiences others in the forum have, I see my symptoms mirrored.
One of the worst I used to get was the appalling fatigue, I would just go to sleep wherever I was, my ex husband used to think I was bluffing. I knew if I didn't give in to the sleep, I would end up sicker. I am going to see my GP next week as at the moment I am not taking regular medications, only ventolin when I need it. It sounds like I need to take regular doses of antihistamines, is that what Serc is? Also, have you heard much about the Alfred Hospital Allergy Center, I was hoping to get a referral there. Hope you are feeling ok, Donna

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 04/05/12 at 17:36:35

I've struggled my whole life (since I'm 15) with the fatigue that I now know was mast cell related.  My husband has always thought I was "bluffing" (entitled).  Not my parents though.  They always knew I had this awful fatigue.  As a 12/13 year old I would tell my mom that my legs were killing me.  I also remember always saying "I'm boiling" as a very young child.  

I would say I am so sick I don't know what is wrong with me and my brother would say  "Well if you weren't dropped on your head as an infant you would have been normal".  My dad was supposed to be watching me at 9 mos. old on the bassinet getting my diaper changed and he of got distracted and kerplunk I landed on my poor head.

This forum help me find the answers I was looking for my whole life. My illness is from my nasty mast cells.   It's not because I got dropped on my head.  LOL

Morning are terrible for me too.  It's 12:30 at night and I'm up.  You have to light a fire under me in the a.m. to get me up and out of bed.  I feel we (mast cell disease people) don't fit in, in this world.

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: new update ringing in ears and vision problems
Reply #4 - 04/06/12 at 13:03:54

I want one day with no ringing in my ears what's up with this part of mast cell disease what does this come from anyone have a clue, I hate this part of the disease and it gets so bad during a flare. Another thing I notice is vision problems last night I could not even see my face in the mirror it was so blurry, I even checked my pupils with my flashlight I guess mast cells effect everything.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 04/06/12 at 18:28:59

Aren't brothers wonderful?  They alway know what to say to make us feel better....   haaaaa!

I have the same problem with sleep and don't feel tired at night until very late.  I've wondered if it's the histamine cycle, and I'm more tired when there's more histamine circulating (in the early morning hours).  My mornings begin around 9:00-9:30, and start very slowly!  One thing that's helped is that our bedroom faces east, and the sun coming in the window, even with a shade, helps me be a little bit more alert in the morning.
« Last Edit: 04/07/12 at 05:57:05 by Joan »  

Joan

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 04/06/12 at 21:15:46

I was curious about this Serc, as I have  not heard before of a H3 blocker. The active ingredient is Betahistine dihydrochloride, and it is prescribed for tinnitus, vertigo, typically for people with Menieres disease. Great that it is helping so much Keri.

Cameron also has a very similar pattern of sleep problems and fatigue, and has since he was very young. Can't get to sleep until the early hours of the morning, then feels worst in all respectsin the morning. He wakes up looking more puffy in the face, has pain in his feet and hands when he stands or tries to uses his hands, and low blood pressure. I also suspect it is the histamine cycle, leading to fluid leaking out of the blood vessels into the tissues,causing the edema and low blood volume - does that make sense, and if so how best to counteract it? His fatigue right now is one of his biggest problems, we've run out of explanations and the fatigue persists.

Ruth

IP Logged

Keri
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 04/10/12 at 23:44:50

Hello everyone, Thanks for chatting on my new update post and appreciate the sugesstions given. I do stay away from as many triggers as possible in fact that has helped very much indeed. Sometimes the triggers in food can be hidden and need to retrace my food habits over a couple of days if i am having a bad episode.
I went to visit my daughter in Brisbane which is a 2hour car trip for me. I stayed a couple of days and headed home just after lunch, i stopped off at my sisters place along the way and noticed my eyes started to get watery and my nose a bit runny. As I was driving home around 5:30 pm i got really tired, so tired it scared me as I was driving. I had to stop after 30 minutes and have an energy drink to try and get me alert enough to get home. There was no public transport I could use as i live in a too isolate area, absolutlely nothing goes out my way. So I had to keep going. I arrived home safe and my energy was good due to the drink i took. I went to be by 10pm and today i have been a right off, so tired and my body in a lot of pain. I had no energy and just slept all day, waking up to get a drink of water and go to the tiolet and sleeping until 4pm. It is now 8:30pm and I still just want to go back to bed and sleep.
I can go through periods like this, sometimes lasting days. There is nothing I can do to make my energy increase. The funny thing is I take oxycontone for pain, firstly started to use it for a fractured spine that is getting worse with age and cannot be fixed. I noticed when I took it my energy levels were better, more alert and of course less pain for my back and the body pain i get with mast cell. Oxycontone generally makes  people tired but after talking to my doctor she has deducted that I am one of the very few % of people who have the opposite effecte to opiat medications.
This is good for me as it helps me through some very difficult days, but i am keen to know how other deal with the fatigue and what they use to attempt to over come it. I have used Q10 and spurallina, vit B's, ginseng etc with little or no affect. Coffee helps a little but i hear that mast cell suffers should not take it..I find it does not make me better or worse when i leave it alone. I find that some triggers for others may not be the same for me. But I know enough to be aware and never overdo the coffee if i am not able to stay awake well on one or two i forget it cause nothing will help. I often just give in and have to change my plans about going out to visit friends, family or do shopping etc.
So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
I find my mast cell tends to have abit of a cycle dispite what i do or don't do to upset it. I get quite frustrated at times as there is so much i would like to do and even though i am much better than i used to be i am still forced to sit on my bottem for long periods and keep to a slow and careful routine. It certainly is a difficult illness to manage and almost impossible to master.
Kind Wishes to you all
Keri

IP Logged

Keri
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 04/10/12 at 23:56:05

Goldie, I noticed that as soon as I started taking the serc my ringing in the ears abaited and nearly dissapear completley for days and weeks on end. I hardly notice the ringing at all now. The nausea has diminshed as well and dizzyness. I still get ringing in a flair up but it has never returned to the bad old days off the serc.
I too am bad in the mornings, I push myself to get up and start moving as laying in bed can often make it even worse. having a warm bath helps. If I keep to minimul chores and dont push myself with heavy work I can have a very good day. If i try to push myself even when I feel rather good I can deteirorate and end up having severe body pain. I find I can have problems sleeping at night as well but creating the right mood for sleep is important. I try and train the body to do the right thing and not sit up all night reading or watching tv just because i have energy, cause i need that energy the next day raising my 12 year old.
I hope things get better as I understand your frustration too.
Kind regards
keri

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print