Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plants! (Read 4580 times)
PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Plants!
03/26/12 at 09:56:06

Over the weekend I dug up some plants to transplant in my back yard.  With in a few minutes my eyes were itching, not thinking anything about it I kept on task.  With in 10 mins. my stomach pain started up.  I was having a mast cell issue.  I thought...mmm I haven't eaten anything, I wasn't around anything fragrant.  By the time I was through talking to myself about what was causing this I was doubled over.  Took some meds and was fine.  
I am a salicylate sensitve person, so I think my problems were from the plants I was digging up.  I cut some of the roots and stems.  I'm gusessing the salicylates from the plants got on my skin or I breathed them in.

Has this happened to anyone else...I just sounds so stupid!! Cheesy
Thanks, Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Plants!
Reply #1 - 03/26/12 at 14:10:26

It also could have been the sunlight and/or the rise in body temperature from digging, pulling, cutting, etc...

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 03/26/12 at 14:12:21

Last fall I was cutting back a flower bed that had Coneflowers (Echinacea) in it and got sooo sick.  Felt like I was going to pass out, weak, and shortness of breath, trouble swallowing.  

I'm dreading this spring, summer.  I almost died last summer before I knew about mast cell activation disorder and only started H1, H2 this past Jan/Feb.  

I'm curious what plants.

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/26/12 at 15:10:37

PJP;
Good question !!! We can probably google high salycilate plants (?),
but as for Echinacea... I took some before being diagnosed and it gave me the "hollywood lips:-*"- hives all over em! Got some growin in one of my beds, so thanks for the reminder !
Don't Forget; wear gardening gloves when ever you work in the yard ! Oh and Mums are preety but in the ragweed family, so be careful around them in the fall. Wink
Happy Spring
lori

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 03/26/12 at 19:23:29

Tree pollens are really high right now, so that could have been a trigger, as could have been mold in the soil.  An N95 mask, available at the home improvement stores might be helpful.  Pollens and molds can be triggers as well as allergens.  If you're working in the sun, be sure to stay really hydrated.

Yes, inhaled allergens or triggers definitely can cause all kinds of systemic symptoms!

Joan

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #5 - 03/27/12 at 10:00:58

Thanks guys...I didn't think about the temp.  I was probably getting hot and mold is definately a trigger for me.  I had a bag of soil it is very possible mold was in it.
Now I really do think I need a plastic bubble. Angry
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #6 - 03/27/12 at 12:23:36

Recently my 4 yr old son had a reaction (pain flare, itching) after we started seeds indoor in a potting soil.  It resolved with Benadryl.  I was suspicious of the soil...  Yesterday we went outside to transplant the seedlings and he was helping me rake the soil.  We used the left over bags of potting soil.  Last night he had itchy eyes and nose, red cheeks and woke with in excruciating pain.  My bet is the soil.  It was also very windy by us yesterday and I'm wondering if he got some in his eyes, nose and mouth.

I always wear gloves and long sleeves while gardening but the spearmint and clematis get me every time. (itching and rash)  The mint is so invasive I can't get rid of it.

Thanks for the suggestion on the N95 mask.
Tina

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 04/12/12 at 19:10:17

I am also salicylate sensitive and I had a reaction one time when I was trimming ivy and another leafy vine on our back fence without gloves (and I'm sure the vines were not poison ivy or oak or anything like that).  It started as a bright red rash on my hands and I was feeling very tired afterwards, yet my heart was racing.  The whole reaction calmed after 45 minutes or so.  Next time, gloves!

I had never experienced anything like that before and the only connection I could make was the plants.  But, I also handle cut flowers fairly often for our house and don't have the same response.  Weird!

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #8 - 04/13/12 at 03:52:46

Larken,
Maybe the ivy has more salicylates than the cut flowers, or maybe it is the act of cutting them.  My husband got me roses for valentines day, when I cut them to go in the vase I had a reaction!  Then I was slightly afraid of them. Sad  I admired them from afar!
Our walk way from the drive way is getting overgrown because....I'M not trimming anything until I feel a little more stable.
This salicylate thing is a little crazy....I want a strawberry!! Cheesy

Pam

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 04/14/12 at 23:59:33

Haha!  I would LOVE a strawberry, too, Pam.  And leafy greens!  I used to eat them every day.

At least we can admire the flowers from afar.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print