Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone have a comprehensive list of degranulators? (Read 4662 times)
Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Anyone have a comprehensive list of degranulators?
03/31/12 at 13:00:50

I am wondering if anyone has a comprehensive list of mast cell degranulators?  I see that TMS and other sites have general lists, but then will find sites and posts and see different items pop up.  

I know Joan has a fantastic handle on foods.  Anyone compiling these items/meds/and foods that degranulate?  Is there a master list I havne't found yet?  I'd love to see the low/high histamine, tyramine and salicylate items as well as known medication and natural product degranulators or stabilizers in one place, instead of on numerous websites.    

I would be willing to help maintain and share such a master list and possibly even research the source of these items or the references.
I am trying to conceptualize how to make this happen and if anyone has something they'd be willing to share, I'd appreciate starting from there.  

Thanks,
Lyn  

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Anyone have a comprehensive list of degranulators?
Reply #1 - 03/31/12 at 14:17:33

It would be great if degranulators were simple and consistent!  The problem with comprehensive lists is that degranulation is very individual.  Some people degranulate from one food or medicine, while others don't.  
Some people seem to degranulate from every food.  As time goes on, people often begin to feel better and their digestive systems heal.  Then they find that fewer foods actually trigger them.  

The only way to find out exactly what foods cause one's own degranulations is trial and error, that is, an elimination diet.  The time period varies according to different doctors.  I believe Dr. Castells recommends a month, but other doctors say 2 weeks is enough time before adding foods back into the diet.  

Websites can give people a starting point.  I usually recommend this list as a starting point for low and high histamine foods:

(http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm)

The lists posted on this forum and on tmsforacure.org of medicines and anesthetics that are more and less likely to be tolerated by people with mast cell disorders are also a good beginning.

Joan

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 03/31/12 at 15:31:53

Thanks Joan.  

I know everyone's list is individual, but still wondering if anyone has compiled a list that they are willing to share with me.  I have descriptions and references to add, and thought I'd reach out before reinventing the wheel.  

Lyn

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 04/01/12 at 10:40:36

Personally, I think a list like that would be rather limited in its usefulness.  For example... I can't tolerate anything that's a blood thinner.  This includes:

- Aspirin
- NSAIDs
- Turmeric
- Quercetin
- Fish oil
- Alcohol

Now you might think, "Aha... turmeric... aspirin... those are both salicylates."  True.  However, here's a list of fruits that are high in salicylates:

- Raisins
- Prunes
- Cherries
- Cranberries
- Blueberries
- Grapes
- Strawberries
- Tangerines
- Oranges

None of these bother me.  None.

See the problem?  I'm sure some people on this board ARE sensitive to salicylates.  If that's the case for you, then you should definitely avoid them.  As you noted, there are plenty of possibilities when you're trying to figure out triggers... histamine, tyramine, "common allergens" like nuts and seafood, etc...  I've become highly allergic to latex and bananas, which I don't think is something listed on ICUS or TMS.  Just about anything can be a trigger.  Foods, pollen, chemicals, hormones, auto-antibodies, viruses, heat, sunlight...  You might be tempted to think, "Well I should just live in a bubble."  Then you'd probably become allergic to the bubble Wink

Figuring out your triggers is a really good thing to do.  At the same time, what triggers you might not trigger me... and you can really make yourself crazy/miserable trying to avoid "everything."

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print