Send Topic Print
New Kitchen Tap (Read 2498 times)
Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

New Kitchen Tap
03/28/12 at 17:06:26

Thought I should post this in case it prevents someone else from a similar problem. My husband installed a new tap which had a pull down spray spout. I was getting heart pounding when I drank from it ,but thought it was in my head. On day 2, the water tasted like tires and my tongue swelled instantly.

I'm presuming there's rubber in the pull down hose but am waiting on word from the company.

Just a reminder to look into what makes up anything you might be in contact with, even though I didn't know for sure I was allergic to rubber. Also, to not ignore early warning signs like I did.

the reaction eventually passed with 25 mg of Atarax but am still having after effects. .. Cool

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: New Kitchen Tap
Reply #1 - 03/28/12 at 17:59:01

Good point! Many of us have a "early warning system" by putting a food etc in the corner of our mouth and see if you get an irritation from it--thats an early warning you will react from that food, drink, etc. It doesnt work 100% of the time but will work enough of the time to make it worth remembering Smiley
Hugs
Ramona

PS Im sure glad youre ok!!

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 03/28/12 at 20:19:37

Wow, who would have thought?  If you think it's a latex allergy, do you have the list of foods that cross-react?

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 03/29/12 at 09:34:27

Thanks guys,

I've emailed the company but they are very reluctant to tell me. Danze.
I found some posts about many people complaining about a toxic taste from this tap, no one else listing an allergy but it sounds like it's an issue.

I list latex allergy as one of mine because I used to get a mild rash from the gloves which I'm not sure was from the gloves, powder or moisture but figured I'd avoid it to be cautious.

Joan, thanks yes I've seen the list. Interestingly bananas are one of my safest foods, thank God, as I need the potassium. I'm avoiding kiwis as they were an OAS food for me and avocado I won't be putting back in my diet for ages since I just never used to eat it that much, though my husband eats a lot of it.

The world is a scary trigger filled place right now. I look forward to the day where all this experimenting is behind me and I have a bit of a sense of what's going on

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #4 - 03/31/12 at 11:24:27

I can only drink distilled water with nothing added.  I was also allergic to our osmosis system.  I tried every bottled water out there.  Someone suggested distilled with out minerals...Thankfully no reaction!!  I suggest distilled with out minerals. Good luck!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print