Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sunburn... (Read 5092 times)
PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Sunburn...
03/31/12 at 11:31:02

Can someone tell me if a sunburn can cause your mast cells to go crazy?  I have been improving over the last month on cromolyn.  Then suddenly feel like I'm having issues over everything, super sensitive.  I thought it might be related to my cycle and could be.  But I realized that I got a pretty bad sunburn 4 days ago.  I really didn't get hot while I was outside but I was wearing shorts and a tshirt.  So my arms and legs got pretty burnt.  Could this be causing me issues?
Thanks for any info!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Sunburn...
Reply #1 - 03/31/12 at 11:58:12

The sun makes me 10000 times worse.  Did you use sunscreen (which could make you sick) or were you gardening?  The pollen counts have started to be high.  This makes me feel much sicker.

Last year before I knew what was going on with me, the sun definitely was a trigger.  I would ask people, "Can you be allergic to the sun".  I would say that I am.

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 03/31/12 at 11:58:50

The sun makes me 10000 times worse.  Did you use sunscreen (which could make you sick) or were you gardening?  The pollen counts have started to be high.  This makes me feel much sicker.

Last year before I knew what was going on with me, the sun definitely was a trigger.  I would ask people, "Can you be allergic to the sun".  I would say that I am.

If you put Aloe on the burn this is also a degranulator.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #3 - 03/31/12 at 12:57:41

PJP,
I didn't use sun block because I am Salicylate sensitive and I haven't got any that I can use!  Seemed like when I was out side it wasn't really hot or too sunny so I must have stayed out too long.  I was ok when I was out but for the next 2-3 days I was very sensitve to everything...I was afraid that my cromolyn stopped working...which stressed me out more! Embarrassed  It is crazy to say I'm allergic to everything, including the sun.  Thanks for your help!
Pam Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 04/01/12 at 11:44:53

Hi Pam!
Yes, Hon, you CAN be allergic to the sun and most of us are (as a trigger).. remember the skin is an organ.. protects you from infection, regulates your body temperature and has ALOT of mast cells in and on it... Try taking some of your sodium cromulyn and a washcloth and pat your skin with it--let it soak in as much as possible, that should help the mast cells calm down.. as long as youre going through this, choose the antihistamine that works best for you and take an extra dose now and whenever you feel bad. Im hoping you feel better soon Smiley
Hugs
Ramons

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 04/01/12 at 12:13:40

I've read animal studies that said aloe leaf juice is a mast cell stabilizer.  Do you have anything I could read that says it's a degranulator?  I've used it without a problem, but I don't have any skin rashes, and am not always typical.  Still, I don't want to sabotage myself.

Sunburns do trigger my mast cells.

Joan

IP Logged

Julie M.
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
DC Metro area
Reply #6 - 04/01/12 at 12:27:55

Last summer I spent time at the beach and was out in the sun (limited time and with sun screen) and got soooo sick.  I started feeling nauseous so I got out of the sun.  Over the next few hours the nausea got worse, vomiting kicked in, hives on my face, body temp dropped, tremors started....ended up in the ER very ill.  Never again will I make that mistake.

Do be EXTRA careful in the sun!!

Julie

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #7 - 04/01/12 at 23:36:03

Sun? Ha! I run from it like a vampire! No, I'm kidding a bit Wink I can't stand the sun either. I try to be exposed as little as possible. Last year I was out on the sun with my camera for like 10 mins, and suddenly I've started feeling like that I'll burst in flames (literally), I've started overheating and had to run for deep shades. And it was only mild April sun! My folks tried to force me for some sunbathing, but whenever I would try I wouldn't be able to stand it for more than 5 minutes, I would get little red spots all over my skin and had to go to cool off. And before I loved the sun so much  Cry

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Julie M.
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
DC Metro area
Reply #8 - 04/02/12 at 02:54:15

Enko wrote:

Quote:
And before I loved the sun so much.   Cry

Me too!!

Sad

Julie

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #9 - 04/02/12 at 04:19:55

Joan,
Here is a link that lists aloe as a salicylate.
Good luck
Pam
http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/salicylate-free-products/

Pam

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #10 - 04/02/12 at 06:25:00

Julie M. wrote on 04/02/12 at 02:54:15:
Me too!!

Sad

Julie

Hugs Julie  Kiss

Pam, thanks for the list! Cheesy

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #11 - 04/02/12 at 06:40:59

Thanks everyone... I guess It helps knowing IM not the only freak in the world!!  Cheesy

Ramona...after I spoke with you on the phone Friday about not feeling right...I realized that I had the sunburn for two days and I had been sick two days..wow I'm almost a rocket scientist for putting that together!!! Wink
Thanks for all your help!
Pam
« Last Edit: 04/02/12 at 07:54:07 by PamH »  

Pam

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #12 - 04/02/12 at 07:00:04

Youre welcome lol.. Im just glad you know whats causing it now so you will feel better soon.. and remember when you dont feel good its so much harder to think rationally and figure it out--be gentle with yourself, I like you LOL
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print