Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Syncope or Anaphylatic (Read 4105 times)
kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Syncope or Anaphylatic
03/01/12 at 02:39:18

I need help wrapping my brain around this one. I've experienced different forms of feeling 'off'. Last summer I would get a headache, light headed, dizzy, heart pounding hard and know I needed to take Benadryl. Those experiences were usually brought on by the extreme heat of the season. But I also have experienced a drop in BP, extreme tiredness and sometimes lightheadedness accompanies this and sometimes it doesn't. But when this one happens I don't get the same exact symptoms I get during the summer months. With either one I usually go to sleep. So how do you know when to use an EPI pen?
Yesterday I had an episode. I started feeling majorly tired so I sat down to rest. Then I got cold so I covered up and next thing I knew I woke back up. I had fallen asleep for a half hour. When I woke up I realized I might be having a bp issue because my heart was just POUNDING! So I took my bp. It was low but not the lowest I've ever had. It was 95/54. My normal bp is almost exactly 120/80. So seeing the low 95/54 I got up and took 2 Benadryl. It never did raise my bp back up to my normal. When I went to bed at 8:30 last night it was up to 100/58 which still is low. I took another 2 Benadryl and went to bed. I never did fall into a good sleep though. I continued to wake every couple hours all through the night. And my body sweats were just awful! So when do you use a EPI pen? And what is the difference between anaphylactic and syncope?
I hope someone here can help me dig through this confusion I have.
Thanks.

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Re: Syncope or Anaphylatic
Reply #1 - 03/01/12 at 07:02:09

To be honest, I don't know the answer to your question. I'm interested in the answer too. I would get the same reactions you do - struggling in the heat with extreme fatigue and/or presyncope (at least my neuro called it like that) and with having moments of being "turned off" - like that someone hit the on-off switch while you weren't looking. I've once fallen asleep in a middle of exam, right in front of professor. I've waken up soon, but didn't really know what happened. That was a short period of being "out", but it can take up to four hours and I'm very tired and confused after that. I can't draw the line between having syncope or "sleeping"..

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #2 - 03/01/12 at 14:09:34

Do you have a doctor you can consult with?  I'll share my recent experience with you as I've had two bouts of anaphylaxis in the past two weeks.   I'm diagnosed with POTS, EDS, and possible MCAS.  I have an appointment with Dr. Castells May 1st.  I too have had times of pre syncope but never have fallen asleep afterwards.

Short Story:  Two weeks ago I took a percocet.  I started having heart palpitations and took a benadryl.  Got up to make dinner and became light headed so I laid down on the floor thinking it was presnycope.  I began having trouble breathing.  A tight, crushing feeling in my chest.  My extremities were like frozen popsicles and I was freezing cold.  I could feel myself going into shock, nothing like presyncope for me.  I had that "impending feeling of doom". I injected one of my son's epis into my thigh and had my husband call 911.  I was able to breath again and talk for a few moments before all the symptoms returned.  I administered a 2nd epi (2 child's = 1 adult) and again began to breath but was still in shock.  Got oxygen, was told by the EMT I was having a panic attack, went to the ER, got horrible treatment, blah blah blah.

My son's allergist was away on vacation but the nurse called me in an adult epi pen the next day.  This past monday I followed up with the allergist.  He confirmed it was anaphylaxis and severe atypical asthma (no wheeze or cough).   He started me on a round of steroids.  After a few doses I had another full blown anaphylaxis but this time it was accompanied with throat swelling, itching, BP drop (I too now have a BP monitor) and asthma.  I did not use the epi but instead treated with large doses of Benadryl and inhaler.  I was in constant contact with the allergist the whole time.  

I'm sorry you're having these issues and hope you can find answers or a doctor who can give you a detailed emergency action plan for your particular symptoms.

Tina

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 03/01/12 at 15:22:19

Hi Tina,

What a scary ordeal you've been through!  Looking back at your posts, I don't see much about you before now.  Are you on any daily meds to keep your symptoms down?  What do you take?  It sounds as though you respond to antihistamines, but that you might be on too low of a dose.  You're too close to anaphylaxis on a daily basis, and I'm sure the stress of having a sick child is contributing.

Have you looked at the Emergency Room Protocols list of meds that are better tolerated for mast cell patients?  It's posted on this forum and on the tmsforacure.org website.  Personally, I can't take percocet without pre-medicating with an antihistamine.  A lot of people here tolerate Tramadol well for pain.

Very happy you now have adult epi for yourself.  You'll still need to have more than one, in case they only prescribed a single.  There should be instructions for how close together you can give them to yourself.

Do you think there were fillers or additives in the steroids that caused the problem or the steroid itself?  Definitely ask the allergist whether it was the steroid that could have caused the anaphylaxis.

Let us know how you're doing!

Joan

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #4 - 03/02/12 at 13:29:52

Hi Joan,

Thank you for your response.  Sorry kimtg68, I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

I'm finally starting to feel better and am not sure if it was an inactive ingredient or the steroid itself.  I follow up with my local allergist on tuesday to discuss further.  We had talked about having the steroid compounded but since it had been 10 days from the initial reaction he wanted to get it started immediately.  My son has reacted to compounded prednisolone so who knows?  I've tried tramadol but do no tolerate that either.

I'm not on a daily regime but do take benadryl and zantac as needed.  I'm contemplating writing to Dr. Castells to see if she'll include me in my son's consult on May 1st.  What do you think?

Thank you for the support.
Tina

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 03/03/12 at 00:18:18

Tina, hijacking threads is something that always happens, don't worry about it.   Yet, your response to Kim is important and shows excatly what needs to be done in just such a case.  

The reason why the epi didn't work long is because it's not a long lasting medication and sometimes it's necessary to use an infusion of epinefrine and not the bolus shot.  Doctors don't always know this.  

I suggest, Tina, that you start a new thread and talk about this reaction of yours for it's important and will allow us to talk about it seperate from Kim's situation here.  They are both related for Kim's situation was anaphylaxis as much as yours was.  They only manifest themselves differently.  This is why identifying them is so challenging.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #6 - 03/03/12 at 00:18:46

Tina,

I'm glad you feel better! Definitely write to Dr. Castells, she should check you up.

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 03/03/12 at 03:26:40

Kim

What you went through is indeed anaphylaxis, only it's not an acute reaction which is why it doesn't seem to show itself so clearly.

Like Tina, if you had used an epi-pen it would haved turned your situation right around.  

According to Dr. Escribano, the epi is used when the blood pressure changes.  That is what he has indicated on his Brazilian protocols.  I've translated those protocols into English and so those instructions are on there.  Here is the link to them. http://inicia.es/de/luisbau/Doc/PROTOCOLOS_INGLES.pdf

Now, I also go through this very sitaution of yours and can get ice cold as well.  Only my heart doesn't do what yours does.  I go through what is called relative bradycardia.  Often, when my BP drops, so does my heartrate.  The lower the BP goes, the lower my HR goes too and they keep one another company.   This is called Cardiac Anaphylaxis.  This has driven my doctors absolutely NUTS because they didn't know that this is what I was doing.

Now that I've sent them this document, they're understanding the bradycardia better and my cardiologist is seeing that the only way to help keep this from happening so much is to keep those pesky mast cells CALM AND STABLE!!

So, what do you do?  

Well, when I go through slower degranulation I go into shock with hypotension.   I don't have an  epi and my doctors are stuck right in the middle as to whether I should use it due to my getting hypertensive in crisis.  The big cardiologist is not happy in our using epinefrine and has said that FOR ME this should be used only with medical procedures or in SEVERE reactions.  But this is ME.   This is not always the case for other patients and your cardiologist should be brought in.  

So, what do I do?   TAKE EXTRA ANTIHISTAMINES!! both H1 AND H2 is what I do and if this doesn't help, then I crawl under the covers, even when it's a 100 degrees out, and CRASH OUT for a couple of hours.  This is usually what my body is craving - to call all physical activity to a full halt so that it can stop the degranulating.   Usually, when I wake up, may pressure is back on the rise.   When it's a bad case, then I go the remainder of the day wiped out and even the next day, but the worst is usually over.

Now, the syncope this is definitely a SEVERE cardiovascular reaction.  I've done my research and talked with several high authorities on this and we've been able to conclude that this is what it is.  Those of us who go through this, be it 15 minutes or 8 hours long, this is INTENSE VASOPLEGIA.   It is indeed a serious reaction and you need epinephrine but you also NEED A DOCTOR!  A bad reaction can be deadly, I'm afraid.  There is one known case history of an Israeli man who died from this and it's because his doctors couldn't recognize it nor did they take it seriously.  This is what I am CONSTANTLY going through and why I research this subject so much.  It a very rare reaction even amongst us and it is a reaction that is UNIQUE to masto patients.  This is why it is so unknown.  

If you want more information, let me know and I'll send you what I can.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #8 - 03/03/12 at 06:59:53

Thank you all for your input and sharing. Lisa, its good to know 'what' exactly it is that is going on with our bodies. I believe that educating ourselves eleviates fear. If it's not too much trouble I would be interested in that article you mentioned.

Thanks everyone!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print