Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
stress (Read 1834 times)
gutless_mystery
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
INDIANA
stress
02/13/12 at 02:27:34

Well, I can actually say I know for sure without a doubt that stress is one of my triggers.   Yesterday went upstairs where 4 of my children sleep and found the biggest disaster area I've ever seen.  My 3 year old drew all over every wall and there were clothes, toys, trash, ect. covering every square inch of the floor in all 4 bedrooms and 2 baths.  My wife cleaned the walls with magic eraser and I started going "crazy".  I was so "crazy" I about passed out.  My wife had to help me downstairs to lay down cause I felt like I was going to pass out and of course I had the great abd pain.  After I chilled out, I slowly started feeling a little better but was pretty weak for the rest of the night.  Now I know I shouldn't get so worked up about a mess....but how do people keep themselves calm?  Other than removing myself from the situation like I did, what else can I do?  I have stress around me all the time as I have 5 kids.  I am part owner of a business so there is stress there...did I mention family business? so double that stress.  My wife works full time as a nurse so I do a lot around the house to help keep things going.

Sometimes I think I just need a break from everything...including feeling like crap.

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Re: stress
Reply #1 - 02/13/12 at 09:17:39

I feel bad saying that your misfortune brought a smile to my face because it brought back fun memories.  When I was about 6 I discovered that the painted wooden PlaySkool people made great colored pencils if you rubbed them on the wall....I drew all over my bedroom wall behind my bed (where my Mom wouldn't see them easily).  There were no magic erasers back then...the whole wall had to be repainted when my Mom finally discovered it!

My husband who has Crohn's says his gut basically acted like a biofeedback machine...he learned not to get upset, because it hurt too much when he did.  Well, I still get upset, but over time I think I have mellowed some.  It is really hard to not let things get to you, and your fuse can be particularly short when you're not feeling well.  

You did one of the best things you could by just walking away from it, since it certainly wasn't time-critical.  Maybe you could sit the kids down (depending on age - probably not the 3 year old) and explain to them that you can't do everything you normally do and as part of the family, you're expecting/relying on them to help out.  Explain just how they can help, starting with cleaning up when you ask them to (if not before!).  You might be surprised how well they take to some extra responsibility.  

Just keep trying to remind yourself that very little in life is improved by adding anger, anxiety or sorrow.  And you'll have a great story to tease your 3 year old with once they're older.  (Too bad you didn't take a picture of the "artwork" for posterity.)  Wink

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: stress
Reply #2 - 02/13/12 at 09:41:23

Totally hear ya gutless. Great advice Kat,

I am SO easily set off it's embarrassing. I've had to withdraw a lot and reintroduce myself to stress slowly. talking to my family is one of my biggest triggers, I find if there's music in the background or on headphones, I do better. I try to take deep breaths

But if stressful topics come up, I flare. When I was most sick, whenever one of the docs who thought my issues were all anxiety even walked in the room, my heart rate would skyrocket, I would flush and feel very sick, my body knew that person caused stress

But I think as we get our symptoms under control this will get better as has happened to many others.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print