Send Topic Print
Smell of toast (Read 1940 times)
Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Smell of toast
01/17/12 at 09:54:50

Was sleeping soundly but awoke abruptly at 7 am with chest and throat tightness and the smell of toast. I've been around it a bit before and it didn't really bother me. It might be because it was right before my AM steroid dose so perhaps I was extra vulnerable, but this is the first time I've awoken from sleep with a reaction. Sleep used to feel safe and like it turned off my mast cells.

Silly nose.

Hoping this doesn't get too much worse as I taper off steroids.  Shocked

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Smell of toast
Reply #1 - 01/17/12 at 14:55:58

I've been awakened in the night with symptoms.  Ugh!  

Our bodies produce more histamine at night and in the early morning hours than during the day.  Asthmatics often have night attacks because of that.  If you can take a longer acting antihistamine a little later in the evening, it might help.  Have you tried Nasalcrom nasal spray or Astelin?  Nasalcrom stabilizes the mast cells in the nose and Astelin is a nasal antihistamine.  One of those might help.

Remember, just because it happened once, doesn't necessarily mean it will happen again.  Keep your meds next to your bed, in case you need them quickly, though.

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Smell of toast
Reply #2 - 01/17/12 at 16:16:12

Can I take Nasalcrom and my oral cromolyn?

I would love something to help my smell sensitivity! I'm worried about the additives in nasalcrom. . .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print