Send Topic Print
Memory Foam? (Read 1998 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Memory Foam?
01/08/12 at 11:33:52

Hi,

I just got a new memory foam mattress pad.  It is real comfy, but has this chemical smell coming off it.  The manufacturer's product information said that the smell dissapates in a few days and that it is not harmful.

Well, I laid on it for the first time last night (mattress cover and pad + sheets over it).  I got kind of burny-picky in the skin.  Has anybody else ever experienced that from memory foam?  The mattress pads and sheets were the same ones I laid on the night before without the pad.  I wouldn't think a fume could come through that much fabric.

I know that memory foam is a little warmer than a mattress, but I wouldn't think it would heat up enough to kick off mast cell problems.

Has anybody else had any experience using memory foam?  Did it bother you?

I'm going to let it air out a little more and try it again.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Memory Foam?
Reply #1 - 01/08/12 at 17:27:26

I haven't but lately I've had to "air out" almost anything new that comes anywhere near me so I think your plan sounds good Cool

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 01/09/12 at 04:58:02

Jill,

Anything with a chemical smell leaves my house with no second chances! Even if the smell disappears, you have to consider the source of the smell. Are those chemicals still present in the mattress foam, and thus you are breathing them in all night even if you are no longer smelling them? Given what I know of your symptoms and triggers, I would suggest returning it to the store and sticking with a traditional mattress. There are some really comfy ones out there, with pillow tops, etc. I have a super soft one that I adore! They are pricey but well worth it...and no odors!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/10/12 at 11:08:48

Well, decided to send it back.  I guess there have been reports about some of these causing problems for asthmatics.  Given the masto thing, it might not be the best choice for me.  Kind of sad as it was really comfy.

Can't afford to get a new mattress right now Deb (not working).  I didn't want to make myself sick with the thing.  Might not be able to afford the health insurance either, so I can't afford to take the risk right now.

Also, most regular mattresses have latex in them (I'm allergic to that too!).  Keep all my mattresses in allergy covers.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 01/10/12 at 11:37:10

Sorry to hear about all of your troubles Jill. Would there be other safe types of mattress toppers?

My sister who we just realized has had MCAD for 15 years and has always reacted to smells sends anything new into the garage for 1-7 days then has a family member check it for smells. She's been doing this her whole life and we all thought she was paranoid which is SO HORRIBLE OF US, but she has achieved an amazingly high level of functioning with all of her lifestyle changes. She is off all meds with just occasional Benadryl for reactions. I KNOW we are all different and might not end up like her...but Just in case it in any way helps to hear her story. I know it helps me to think things might be better someday!

Yes stay away from Latex! I hate the stuff and it's everywhere!

Hang in there! Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print