Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ice cream (Read 6179 times)
Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Ice cream
01/08/12 at 11:14:14

I've found I can tolerate organic milk but not regular. I'm thinking about making my own ice cream. I read somewhere the curdled cheeses, milk and ice cream are not high in histamine.

Do you experts agree with this? You might all be starting to notice that I have quite the sweet tooth Wink

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Ice cream
Reply #1 - 01/09/12 at 05:25:17

Oh gosh, sounds like WORK!!!  

But with all the thousand and one flavors out there, including all the ones that almost don't even use milk and are almost 100% chemicals, is there NOT ONE which doesn't use some other kind of organic milk or something like that you could tolerate??????

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 01/09/12 at 06:34:15

I can tolerate all "fresh" dairy products, but only use organic if at all possible.  I don't eat aged cheese, except for a tiny bit of Romano (pecorino) in a few recipes.  Most of the time Parmesan causes me problems.  Feta is a fresh cheese and some goat cheeses (chèvre) are fresh.  Fresh mozzarella is really good.  Anything aged over 4 months can be very high in histamine.  I can eat cottage cheese and yogurt, but some people have problems with those.

I just read some articles regarding research into producing aged cheeses without histamine.  Apparently, there's a bacterial strain that can stop other organisms from producing histamine.  Hope they figure that one out soon!

I think home made ice cream is really good, but I would not use un-pasteurized eggs due to the possibility of salmonella contamination.  It's a small risk, but with mast cell issues, it's probably wise not to.  Pasteurized raw eggs are probably available at some health food stores and might even be available at larger grocery stores.

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 01/09/12 at 13:22:37

Oh it needs eggs? I haven't tried eggs yet

I can't find any in the stores without a billion ingredients and have found some really straight forward recipes

I thought some were without eggs

Yes I will never go unpasteurized anything thanks for the head's up!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/09/12 at 18:41:15

It's getting harder and harder to find anything without a paragraph of ingredients!

Most "real" ice cream contains eggs, but there are lots of recipes for frozen, ice creamy treats without them that are very good.  Sorbets and sherbets don't have eggs.

If all the ingredients in the recipes you found are ones you can eat, why not?  If you find a good one, there's a Recipes topic where you can post it!

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #5 - 01/09/12 at 20:22:24

Thanks! I'll let you know if I do!

I'm going to try adding eggs back in one of these days too Cheesy

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #6 - 01/24/12 at 04:28:52

Ana, I have a cuisinart ice cream machine and just started making ice cream. It's super easy. If you say you can tolerate regular organic milk and bananas you should try it! You don't have to use eggs but it does make a better ice cream and if you can tolerate heavy cream it will make even better ice cream. I know you can have bananas right. Freeze a couple of bananas overnight. Put bananas in a blender with milk and cream or half and half, and vanilla if you can tolerate it and add sugar or stevia if you can tolerate it. Just make sure you get the blended milk and banana to a thick consistency and then pour into ice cream maker and turn it on for 20 to 30 minutes. Last night I made banana and berry sorbet, just used frozen bananas and frozen berries with almond milk and sweetened with stevia. It was so good! Homemade ice cream does not freeze well. So you have to eat it all then! Lol! The Cuisinart ice cream maker is only like 40 or 50 bucks. It's worth it.
Melissa

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #7 - 01/24/12 at 09:34:00

Yummmmm! Thanks so much for sharing! I'll look into getting an ice cream maker Smiley))

yes I can eat bananas! My only fruit right now! Thanks! Tongue

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 02/09/12 at 15:12:29

Ana,
I make a really good smoothie that with less liquid is thick like ice cream.  I use almond milk, frozen apple sauce (I make my own from local organic apples which is nothing more than cored/peeled/cooked/mashed  apples.  Store bought applesause that you freeze should work too) and frozen fruit of your choice.  I blend 1/2 cup of each for smoothie, start with half the liquid for ice cream consistency.  I blend with my cuisinart stick blender and have ice cream consistency in minutes, no need to freeze.  I have used yougurt, different frozen fruit, and even frozen pear sauce (made the same way as applesauce).  Maybe you can use this basic recipe and come up with your own favorite flavors to calm your sweet tooth!

Enjoy!
Lyn

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #9 - 02/09/12 at 16:22:33

Wow thanks Lyn!

I have a nut allergy and apples make my mouth itch, wouldn't you know, but maybe i'll make it for my husband. Sounds deelish!

As we speak my new ice cream maker is churning eggless vanilla ice cream Smiley

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #10 - 02/10/12 at 00:34:49

When I was really sick and losing a lot of weight (and unable to eat dairy), I made myself a lot of ice-cream like smoothies using full-fat coconut milk and frozen fruit.  YUM.  Like Melissa's version, it doesn't freeze well... so either share it or eat it all Cheesy

Haagen-Dazs makes a line of ice cream called "Five" where each flavor only has five ingredients:

http://www.haagen-dazs.com/products/five.aspx

Like Joan said, if you can tolerate each ingredient the ice cream should be fine.  I can also eat fresh dairy products... milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, feta cheese, goat cheese, mozzarella, etc...  It's only the histamine in aged cheeses that bothers me, not the milk protein.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #11 - 02/10/12 at 09:00:11

thanks so much heather!

in Canada haagen daas and coconut aren't nut free (forgot to mention my hazelnut allergy). Haagen daas used to be my ABSOLUTE fave; especially the chocolate covered bars YUMMM-OOO

that gives me hope on the cheese etc! THANKS!

I have a dumb question...is regular cheddar cheese aged?

I just ate a few pieces of mango and I'm ok so hoping I can add it!!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #12 - 02/10/12 at 11:30:33

Cheddar cheese does have quite a bit of histamine Sad  Mild is better... I can tolerate a very small amount (as long as I'm stable).

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!