Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hate this rollercoaster..Never know what will set you of; Allegra? (Read 3146 times)
PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Hate this rollercoaster..Never know what will set you of; Allegra?
01/30/12 at 01:41:35

A week ago I thought I was "cured".  I was taking singulair, ranitidine and flovent inhaler.  Then I added allegra.  I was having trouble breathing for several days after adding this but didn't put it together that this could be why.  So yesterday I'm gasping for air (not real anaphalactic), just throat swells up and can't breath and I couldn't take my 11 year old ice skating (I had promised her).  She kept saying I knew you wouldn't take me.  We went last Sun. for the 1st time when I was feeling really good and I actually ice skated for 40 minutes!  

My husband said just to come and sit and watch.  I hate that every single day of my life I have to explain why I can't just come and sit.  I can't even hold my body up(undiagnosed POTS?), tired to the bones  and can't breathe to boot.

I just cried and cried.  It seems no one gives a hoot if you have a disease and feel like your dying but aren't really dying.  You have to have an end date in sight to get any compassion, well in my house at least.

I'm boiling a sweet potato now cause I don't know what else to eat.

Last night I ate some salted sour dough Utz pretzels and began having trouble breathing.  Was it the citric acid reacting with meds?  Last week I could eat them by the bucketful.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Hate this rollercoaster..Never know what will set you of; Allegra?
Reply #1 - 01/30/12 at 08:19:37

Ooooh I'm so sorry to hear this and can relate. I too recently thought I was starting to get control, then BAM

Have you cut out the allegra? do you have other meds to try with your doc.

As you know it's finding the right cocktail and avoiding triggers (I'm still in this battle with you haven't figured it out yet)

I have been able to eat sweet potatoes lately I think! Hope they work for you

take it easy and try to let your body restabilize

I wish we lives closer so that we could have a trigger free low stress hang out!

I totally hear ya on the disbelief of family. It is SO hard to take, but your are fighting this and doing a good job!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 01/30/12 at 18:36:08

Pretzels contain ammonium bicarbonate and malt extract. Both could cause a problem, or it could be the niacin in the enriched flour.  Or, it might just be that it was a bad day!

It could be undiagnosed POTS, but anaphylaxis causes low BP, and it sounds as though you were having anaphylactic symptoms with the throat swelling and breathing difficulty.  If you can't breathe well, your blood oxygen can drop, and that can make you light-headed, too.  Reacting does cause fatigue.  I used to tell my husband, "If you felt like I do, you'd never get out of bed!"   Grin   He's very supportive now, but it took a while.  It's miserable not to be able to do the things you want to do, but remember, this WILL get better if you take care of yourself now and get on the right meds and diet.

If I were you, I'd try to get off wheat and go to a rice cereal (if you can tolerate rice) and water diet for a few days.  Wouldn't suggest any more allegra if you've had anaphylactic symptoms from it.  If you can't tolerate rice, but can eat sweet potato, try that, or butternut squash.

If you want to try another H1 antihistamine, dye-free liquid Benadryl or dye-free liquid Zyrtec might be possible choices, beginning with a very small amount in a large amount of water and sipping it slowly until you build up a therapeutic dose.

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/31/12 at 05:51:56

Hey Joan;
I've seen many people post that they eat sweet potato, &/or squash when they're flaring. I have been avoiding them because I thought they were "related to" the pumpkin family-which is a No no on the low histamine diet...? Guess I will give them a try.
lori

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 01/31/12 at 12:24:36

I eat sweet potato almost every day I also love butternut squash actually I can tolerate most vegs I eat string beans as well and added carrots yesterday. I for one have not ever figured out if food has been my issue I really don't think it is although I avoid most foods and eat the same things every day, but like the other night I ate fish and it was ok for me no problems , I don't tolerate beans too much though.

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 01/31/12 at 12:27:52

Whoops I forgot the most important thing I also have a hard time on allegra I have taken it a couple of times it seems too me I get very tachycardic when I take it for about 1/2 hour then I calm down and feel better but as an every day med for me I can't do it. And i also use the zrytec from Kirkland  costco brand no problems there . And luckily I can take any kind of zantac from any off brand so I just bought the BJ's brand and its really cheap and working for me at least working in the sense I am not getting tachy from taking it.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 01/31/12 at 15:29:11

Certain special types of pumpkins, hubbard, and buttercup squash are closely related.  More common types of pumpkins, acorn squash, and summer squash are closely related, too.  I don't have trouble with any of them as far as I can tell, but apparently some people can't eat them.

Sweet potatoes are altogether different.  Squash are technically fruits, whereas sweet potatoes are tubers/roots.

All are yummy, IMO, so hope you can find one that is good for you!

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print