Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New to site (Read 13172 times)
juju
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: New to site
Reply #15 - 12/03/11 at 12:50:27

Wow Do I have a lot to learn !!!  Lisa I hate to think of how many hours of research you have into this.  I have been trying to read and read, and when I think I might understand, I realize I dont Sad.  However, I love to research new things so this is one big challenge for me.  
I ended back at the Dr. today with what I was sure was appendisitis.  The pain started around my belly button, and by the end of the day was in the lower right pelvic region of my abdomen.  I hardly got any sleep because it just gradually got worse.  I waited until morning and called my hemotoligist to see if this could be related to either my bmb or the barium contrast I had to drink for my ct scan and he didnt seem to think so.  I went to see my regular Dr. and she took another cbc and said that all my blood work came back perfetly normal.  Dont get me wrong, this is very good news, however I still have the pain.  Has anyone else experienced this ?  this is not the same gut wrenching pains I get with severe loose stools if I eat something I shouldnt have.  This is a pain I have never had before dull and persistant.  Any way, other than this new thing I have been feeling very well.  Just tired alot.  As I say with every new post, I am so very greatful to have met such a wonderful group of peaple so dedicated to helping one another.  Keep smiling every one  Smiley ~Jodi~ Oh and I did get the REMA protocall to print for me.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #16 - 12/03/11 at 14:10:34

Hi Jodi,

This is one of the problems for mast cell disease patients.  We don't always know if symptoms are from mast cells or something else.  Pain can originate where you feel it or be "referred" from another location.  If you should spike a fever or vomit or bleed or are very constipated, definitely call your doc or go to the ER.  

One thing we learn is that just because a doctor says something isn't related, doesn't mean it's true for us.  If there's a rare side effect or symptom, we might have it!

Barium has been known to cause lower abdominal pain, especially when there's nothing but barium in the intestines.  It's always good to drink a lot of water to help flush contrast out of your system.  Hope the pain clears up on its own.

Learning is why Debbie started this site.  Understanding can be critical in relieving anxiety, and anxiety is one of the major triggers for mast cells.  So, it's a win-win!

Hope you feel better soon!

Joan

IP Logged

juju
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - 12/04/11 at 14:43:54

Thank you Joan.  I have a follow up appointment tomorrow, I guess its so I can let my Dr. know if I still have the pain or not (I do)  If I take 3 200 mg Ibuprofin and 2 tylonol at the same time it will pretty much deaden the pain, only to come back later.  my bowels are moving well so I am not sure what the pain is all about.  We will see what the Dr. has to say.  thank the lord I have insurance !!!  God Bless ~Jodi~

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #18 - 12/04/11 at 15:24:07

Hi Jodi!!

I think your doctor should ask for a sonogram perhaps - just to see if the barium created any inflammation.   The MCs were intensely activated with the barium and if you have any spot of increased MCs then they are what are going to be going crazy!  This explains why I had instense diarrhea for a full week following this, for the barium is a direct assault upon the MCs within the intestines and the are more full of MCs than almost any other tissue other than the skin and bone marrow.   So, this would explain the pain for things are more than likely inflammed.  

This is why I think a sonogram would be a good way to take a look just to see if any inflammatory response is going on in there and to make sure it's not creating any issues.

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

juju
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - 12/05/11 at 03:17:41

I will ask my Dr about that today when I go Lisa, thank you.  It doesnt hurt when I walk really (only a little bit) but if I touch or press on any of that area ohhh it really hurts  Embarrassed.  Right now all I am taking is 2 tylonol, 600 mg of ibuprofin, and prilosec otc.  I wont take more than 2 tylonol at a time because of the worry of liver damage., but I have taken up to 800 mg of ibuprofin.  i do not have a fever right now which is good, but the pain now radiates almost my whole right side.  Something is going on, now just to get to the bottom of it.  I will check in again after the Dr.  Have a great day everyone !!! Smiley ~Jodi~

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #20 - 12/05/11 at 03:25:42

Let us know how it goes, Jodi!!   We´re here for you if you need us!!

Oh, by the way, if your doctor is needing someone to speak with about this he can contact Dr. Norton Greenberger who works with Dr. Castells.  Dr. Greenberger is an authority on masto and the gastric issues and he will gladly help your doctor figure out what might be happening here.

Tell your doctor that if he wishes, you can get Dr. Greenberger's contact information and send it to him by email.   Or if you want to go with it already in your hands, send me a PM with your email and I'll give it to you Julie.

Good luck!!

Lisa

IP Logged

juju
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #21 - 12/06/11 at 13:25:08

Well here I am frustrated to say the least !!!  Didnt get any results at the Dr.  dont know why I bothered.  She took more labs not sure why and did an x-ray ?  I dont know what she thought they would find in the x-ray but I feel as though I wasted my time and money.  She said she would call me with results as they were getting ready to call it a day, well I never got the call.  She said before I left that she was going to refer me to the gastric Dr. and that maybe he can give me some answers.  I cant get in with him until the 15th !!  She said to keep in mind that I can use the e.r. in between if I felt things were going that way.  I think she thinks I am making it all up.  I have been going to her for the last few years and I really like her, but I think she just doesnt know what to do with me so she is going to pass me off on some one else.  I still have not seen the hemotologist to find out hte results of my 24 hour urine and my bmb.  I am sorry to vent, I know a lot of you have far more issues than I do,  I think the stress of it all if getting to me.   will let you all know when all my results come in.  Pray for my sanity and health !!! Cheesy

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #22 - 12/06/11 at 15:45:37

Hi Jodi,

This forum is Venting Central Station for those who need to vent!!  You can vent here all you need or want, and no one will judge you or think you're a whiner.  We've all been where you are, not knowing why our bodies were acting so weirdly, and having problems getting medical people to take us seriously.  I hope yours will call Dr. Greenberger.  Something is definitely not right if you're having that much pain.
« Last Edit: 12/07/11 at 08:50:46 by Joan »  

Joan

IP Logged

juju
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #23 - 12/07/11 at 07:41:14

Thank You Joan, I must say I fealt a lot better after I got that off my cheast !!!!    still smiling !!! Smiley ~Jodi~

IP Logged

juju
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #24 - 12/13/11 at 15:18:04

Ok, I got all my test results back today !!!  Jack 2 test negative.  Urine hystamine negative,  Bmb,  The findings are insufficient to warrant the diagnosis of sm by 2008 WHO criteria.  The current biopsy satisfies two minor criteria but not the major criterion for sm, as there are mast cells which express CD2 and CD25 and the serum tryptase is greater than 20ng/mL.  There are no nodules of mast cells, and mast cells are only focally spindled.  Future repeat biopsy may be useful, as mast cell neoplasms may be distributed irregularly through the bone marrow and this process may evolve in time to satisfy additional WHO criteria for sm.  This was the letter written to my Dr. from Dr. Mathew Howard of Mayo clinic.  He closed this letter by saying Thank you for sending this interesting case.  If follow up information becomes available please feel free to call.  The second attached letter from Mayo read (From Dr, Daniel Slagel)  Mayo is perplexed.  Boy thats assuring !!!!!! it continues to say that their staining does not support the diagnosis of sm on the core biopsy though they see a rare mast cell that has some aberrant expression of antigens.  They question the possibility that this is very early "evolving" mast cell disease but not sure.  They are going to do one more test (PDGFR alpha and beta FISH) to see if these cells would be sensitive to Gleevec..... if that will be ever a treatment consideration... I will let you know. I should be hearing back about the PDGFR test in the next couple of days..  Does any of this make sense to any of you ????  My Dr. told me that if I sent a copy of all my tests and such to Boston to the Drs that you all talk about all the time that he would be happy to work with them and answer any questions or do any additional tests.  He also said that if it came down to it, he would be happy to refer me there.  Otherwise, as it stands I am to take 1 zyrtec and 1 singulair every day for the next 6 months when they will then repeat my blood work.  Then in a year they want to do a repeat bmb.  Other than tryptase of 24.7 all my other blood work is normal.  Any advice on what I should do next would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all so much !!! ~Jodi~

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #25 - 12/13/11 at 16:49:55

Jodi,

This response that you have received is exactly the reason that we always advise going to Boston for testing and diagnosis if possible. The bottom line is that they are more open minded there as well as knowledgable on more current trends than the guidelines from 2008. Mayo and NIH tend to be very restrictive in considering MCAS cases, which you may very well have. You should definitely have your results sent to Boston and have them guide your doctor along.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #26 - 12/13/11 at 18:12:12

You also can ask your doctor to send the original samples from the bone marrow biopsy, so the Boston docs can look at that "in person.". That's what Dr. Akin wanted to do with mine, and I had done my BMB elsewhere.

I didn't see anything in your test results that told whether or not you have a c-kit mutation.  That is important so that the doctors will know how to best follow you, and the docs in Boston will want to check for it.  I don't know whether or not they can check in a blood test now or in the BMB samples.  

Mayo is saying that your case is not severe enough at this point to get a diagnosis of ISM, but that there is enough going on that you should continued to be followed and put on medicine for people with mast cell disorders to prevent symptoms.  I believe you can get a more specific diagnosis from  Boston, as well as possibly a different regimen of medicines.  With your history of GI issues, I believe an H2 antihistamine, such as 20 mg. of Pepcid or 150 mg. Zantac might be helpful.

All in all, you received a report of a disorder whose symptoms can be controlled by medicines.  It doesn't appear to be aggressive at this time, very good news, and it's very unlikely to become aggressive.  You've come so far in getting diagnosed, and having your info sent to the experts in Boston will likely give you a clearer and more specific diagnosis and some peace of mind that is really important.

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #27 - 12/13/11 at 22:48:46

Jodi,

I know you're frustrated, but don't be.  This is actually GREAT NEWS!!   It is not saying you don't have an MC disorder.  In fact, it is indeed confirming that you do, you have MMAS/Monoclonal MCAS.   It is considered a possible pre-SM state.  They aren't sure yet if it is its own specific subset, or if it is SM in its infancy.   Yet because you don't fulfill the WHO criteria for SM it doesn't mean you don't have a Mast Cell disorder.   You do.   You just don't have the more damaging form of it, not yet anyway.   This is also my case.   So, don't be frustrated, REJOICE!   You and your doctor have finally found the disease and you should be treated accordingly.  He's not got you on enough meds!  He obviously doesn't know that the severity of our symptoms has nothing to do with the severity of the disease.  This is typical behavior with doctors who don't know masto.  The majority of diseases out there work that the sicker you feel and are, the more progressed the disease is.   Masto is a rule breaking disease and it won't follow the leader with the way other illnesses work.   You need to be on twice as much medicine, two doses of those meds AT LEAST and even adding singulair and gastrocrom or Ketotifen.

Your doctor has given you instructions and the freedom to seek out higher authorities and that he will work with them!  Oh how I wish I had doctors like that!!  Take him up on this.  He's admitting that he doesn't know what he's doing with you and needs help to continue treating you.  I other words, he's interested in keeping you as his patient and yet letting you know he needs HELP.   So, get him some help!!   I think his suggestion is perfect - send your tests up to Boston and if you can GO TO BOSTON!   Then, when you get back home, he'll take care of everything else and any issues which come up in the future, he will refer back to them for guidance!!!   This is EXACTLY what you need!!!

If you (or anybody else)  wants a copy of this document, send me you email and I'll be glad to give it to you.  This is a document your doctors need to have for this is one of several recent articles which give the doctors the INFORMATION they crave to understand our disease and diagnosis.

Here, I'm going to copy a bit of information which I think will help you see what I'm talking about.   This is from a recent article on the Diagnostic perameters for MCAS by Valent, Horny and et al.  They are MAJOR authorities in mastocytosis.

There are a number of clinical features that may provide
direct or indirect evidence for MC activation. One
such feature is the presence of a primary MC disease (MC
neoplasm = mastocytosis) often manifesting with skin
lesions. MC activation with mild or severe symptoms may
occur in all variants of mastocytosis independent of the
burden of MC and the presence or absence of skin lesions
[11–17] . Even in cases with ‘subdiagnostic’ accumulations
of monoclonal and thus neoplastic MC in the tissues, MC
activation may occur and may represent a relevant clinical
problem [12, 13, 18–20] . This condition, which may
represent a prephase of SM, has recently been termed
‘monoclonal MC activation syndrome’ (monoclonal
MCAS) [18, 19] .
In other cases, MC activation is the first
and only clinical symptom of an otherwise occult SM,
which may be a diagnostic challenge in patients who have
no skin lesions [18–21] .

Here, this is a great table that was written up by these doctors as to the difference between the different variants of mast cell disorders.   You will see that you come clearly into the Monoclonal MCAS diagnosis perameters.

Table 3. Major discriminative features in mastocytosis, MCAS,
and allergic disorders

Diagnosis         Typical clinical                 Key laboratory findings
                    features

CM                  skin lesions (UP),              positive skin histology,
                     +/– mediator                    SM criteria not met
                     symptoms1

SM                  +/– skin lesions                 basal serum tryptase >20
                     (UP-like), +/– mediator       ng/ml (screen), SM
                     symptoms1                       criteria fulfilled

Monoclonal        mediator symptoms1,          KIT D816V+ cells found
MCAS               no UP and no signs of          in the bone marrow or
                      SM, +/– allergy2                 blood; 1 or 2 minor SM
                                                             criteria, but no major
                                                             SM criterion and increase
                                                             in tryptase during
                                                             an attack/event

Idiopathic          mediator symptoms1,           no KIT D816V found,
MCAS               no UP and no signs of           no SM criteria, no specific
                      SM, no allergy (negative       IgE, but increase in
                      allergy test)                       tryptase during an attack/
                                                             event

Allergy              allergic reaction to               specific IgE detecable
(secondary        defined allergens,                 and +/– an increase in
MCAS3)             no signs of UP or SM,           tryptase during an allergic
                      mediator symptoms1             reaction3 (CM or SM
                                                              is rarely found)

MCAS = MC activation syndrome; UP = urticaria pigmentosa;
CM = cutaneous mastocytosis; SM = systemic mastocytosis;
IgE = immunoglobulin E.
1 In the context of MCAS, symptoms are considered to be
caused by mediators released by MCs.
2 In patients with monoclonal MCAS, allergy to hymenoptera
venoms is found quite frequently.
3 A transient and substantial increase in tryptase in an allergic
reaction will argue for involvement of the MC lineage and thus for
secondary MCAS. If no increase in tryptase is found during an
anaphylactic reaction, basophil activation has to be considered (is
the most likely explanation).

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #28 - 12/14/11 at 06:58:07

Lisa,

If there are mast cells that express CD2 and CD25, does that mean they are definitively C-KIT D816V positive?  I thought they needed to see the mutation specifically.  This is not my strong area, so I'd like to be clearer on it.

Thanks!

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #29 - 12/14/11 at 08:08:29

Joan, this isn´t exactly my strong point either.   I believe that the CD2+ and CD25+ expression is abnormal and this abnormality is only seen on mastocytosis patients, which is why it is considered diagnostic for mastocytosis.   I believe the genetic mutation is a seperate issue but from what I understand the majority of the CD2+ and CD25+ MCs are also positive for the mutation as well.  

Yet the issue here is that of the SM diagnostic requirements.  The requirement of CD2+ and CD25+ expression is one of the requirements for the SM diagnosis.  That diagnosis is very strict and unless the patient fulfills all of that criteria, they fall outside of the SM diagnosis.  However, that doesn´t mean that they don´t have mastocytosis.  

What it means is that they do indeed have a mast cell disorder, but it´s either not progressed enough to fulfill the WHO criteria for SM  OR it is another form of the disease.   There still lacks research to say exactly what the situation is here.  

So, Jodi does indeed have a diagnosis and it would be MMAS or Monoclonal MCAS for she has proof of the neoplasm, only not enough of it.  A few years down the line her doctors will have to redo her testing to figure out where she is in all of this.  Masto yes!  What form?  That remains to be answered.    

This is why she should be properly treated as a masto patient for this is INDEPENDANT upon the form of masto!

Does that make sense?

I hope so!

Lisa

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print