Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
New to site (Read 13168 times)
juju
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

New to site
11/22/11 at 12:49:58

Hi, My name is Jodi, and my story started about a month ago when I had severe itching of my hands and feet that spread to the rest of my body.  I have had an anaphylactic reaction before to augmentin and also to contrast dye, so I was certain that I was reacting to something.  I went to  the E.R. where I was treated with Benedryl and steroids.  I was told to see my Dr. as soon as possible.  I couldnt figure out what I might be reacting to.  I started some new vitamins (ones I had aslo tried a few years ago and had no problem with) and I also had a Flu shot about 3 days before symtoms started  (first flu shot I have ever had).  Any way my Dr. sent me to an allergist who mentioned that I had flushing on my hands but at the time had no other symptoms.  He did a blood test that was sent off to Mayo clinic and my tryptase came back at 17.  Second blood draw was done 3 to 4 weeks later no symptoms and came back at 24.7.  I have now been refered to a hemotologist and have my first appointment with him on Friday.  His nurse told me that he would be doing a Bone marrow biopsy.  I dont know if this means he plans on doing this on my first appointment with him or if it would be scheduled after that.  I was told that they suspect mastocytosis.  Very scared at this point.  The only reaction I have now is severe stomach cramping and diarhea about 10 minutes after I eat.  I have suffered for years with acid reflux, and daily headaches and have always had a slow pulse (around 54 bpm) and a low blood pressure, but have always been told that this must just be normal for me.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much ~Jodi~

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: New to site
Reply #1 - 11/22/11 at 14:05:21

Jodi;
So sorry. But youve come to the right place. Im not anywhere as informed as some here, like Lisa, Deb, Ramona,Joan etc.etc.-But-you sound like your Dr.s are on the right track and are taking it seriously and doing the neccessary tests. Hang in there. You are among some great new friends who offer much support and info !
youarenotalone,
lori

IP Logged

juju
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 11/23/11 at 17:21:10

Thank you so much.  I am so glad I have found this sight, it gives me hope !!!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 11/23/11 at 20:33:08

Hi and welcome to the forum!
 Don't be shy about calling the hematologist about your question.  You can request the bmb be done on the first visit if you have faith in this doc.
Or you can wait, but in either case you need to be pre-medicated according to the REMA protocols before the procedure.

Also, have you trie the low histamine diet yet?  It 's very helpful for many mast cell disorder patients.

Keep us posted as to how you're doing.

Joan

IP Logged

juju
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 11/26/11 at 02:59:08

What do you mean by pre-medicated, as i am no longer on any meds.  My allergy Dr. told me to stop all meds until further notice.  At this time I really am  not symptomatic.  I saw hemotologist yesterday Love Him !!!  He has treated 3 other masto patients.  He has ordered the bmb this will be done on Monday, Teusday I will be having a ct of my abdomed and I am currently doing a 24 urine.  He also took blood for a cbc.  tryptace, and liver and kidney function test.  He said they will be sending everything off to mayo.  He thought that by my descrition that I probably have indolent systemic masto, but he said they have to do all of these tests to be sure. and also to make sure that this isnt a secondary problem to something else gooig on.  He also is doing a jack test?  anyone know what this is ?  Will keep you posted.  Am kind of nervous about the bmb but he said since we would be doing this in the hospital that he could put me out if I wanted as I have had several surgeries and never had any reactions.  I am however allergic to contrast dye, so he said when we did the ct of my abdomen that they would do a barium contrast ?  said this would not be as good as having IV contrast but he wanted to get this test.  Hope you all had a wonderful
Thanksgiving and thank you for this site !!!!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 11/27/11 at 23:30:31

Hi Jodi!

I do appologize to you for not getting here earlier.  Iīve been swamped with working and itīs been hard for me to juggle my time to get here to help others at time.

Yes, Jodi, Loriīs right it sounds like your doctors are doing the right things and yes a BMB would be indicated in your case.  And your doctor is wise to have it done in hospital for these are serious exams for us and the potential to react is always there.  

I must say, however, that I do not agree with the barrium swallow being any less of a problem for Iīve reacted to that already.   Some of us, Jodi, are more sensitive to things like contrast and medical procedures than others.   They donīt really understand why, we just are.   Contrast is one of my most deadly enemies and my doctors have to hospitalize me for these exams.  They keep me under observation for about 24 hours following any kind of invasive procedure due to how much these exams mess with my system.   This is done for CTs, BMB, colonoscopies, whatever!  Iīve reacted to endoscopies and had prolonged reacting to the procedures for weeks afterwards!   So, weīve learned the hard way that every single medical procedure that is either invasive or uses a contrast MUST be done in hospital with an anesthesiologist on call and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS using the premedication protocols!!

Now, Jodi, not to freak you out, but Iīm telling you about what me and my doctors have learned the hard way so that you can inform your doctor so that he can be a bit more cautious with you.   Like I said, Iīm the extreme, but with a mast cell disorder, the potential for any of us to do the extreme is always there, even though the chances are slim.  The chances are that you are a middle of the road patient and wonīt have any problems as long as you premedicate properly.  I say this because youīve already made it through a CT with contrast and although reacted, the reaction wasnīt severe.  It is extremely rare for a masto patient to have reactions get worse than theyīre already showing to contrast.   But you donīt want to be reacting to the contrast, so you need to download the copy of the REMA emergency protocols we have here on the site and ask your doctor to premedicate you for 2 days prior to the exam.   This way the Barrium wonīt bother you, but if heīs wanting, you can go through the IV contrast as well.  These procotols work LIKE A DREAM and they will keep you safe!!!

As to being taken off of you meds, there is no need for this and you should return to taking them.   They wonīt influence your test results and you need the protection they have to offer.   The reflux and gastritis you have will come under control because by keeping the levels of histamine in balance, your stomach will produce less acid.  Unfortunately this is a typical complaint amongst us. Tongue

I hope this helps!   Keep us in touch with how things are progressing, okay!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

juju
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 11/28/11 at 03:37:55

Thank you so much Lisa for all of the advice.  I am having the bmb today and the ct tomorrow.  I am thinking about puting off the ct as I have not had a chance to talk to my dr. about the pre-medicating.  I will print off the list you told me to for any kind of proceedures and give it to him today.  Pray for me that these tests come back ok,as I am so afraid of the bad forms of this disease and am praying that if I do have it, it is of the indolant form.  I have not had a whole lot of time to do research on this site, but everything else on the web is so scarey !!  Thank God for this site !!!  and all of you who take your time to teach the rest of us.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 11/28/11 at 04:47:12

Jodi, you are MORE than welcome!!  Iīm so sorry I didnīt see this earlier! Embarrassed

I think holding off the CT is WISE and your doctor needs to know that even though you probably wonīt react the way to contrast the way I do, that itīs best to premedicate and not take any chances.   Dr. Castells will assure him, with premedication you WILL NOT REACT and so he can go ahead with the contrast of choice.   But again, all precautions must be taken especially since youīve already reacted.   You should also have your meds increased following the contrast until things settle back down again and the contrast is out of your system.

Now, as to your fears, they are well understood and WE ALL know exactly what you are feeling for there is not a single one of us here who has not gone through them.  

Now, let me calm you down some please.  I want to give you a bit of reassurance.  Your tryptase level does indicate that you have SM and not MCAS, but that doesnīt mean that you are in a bad category of the disease.   Jodi, for the majority of us, when our disease makes itself known it usually comes out of hiding when we are into our 40s.  When it makes its presence known if it comes out either violently, like it did with me, or mildly as it does with others, this is really UNIMPORTANT!   The severity of the symptoms has NOTHING to do with the severity of the disease!  This is a known fact.   You can be going through absolute misery and you can have MCAS or you can have aggressive masto and die from it an nobody would find out until your autopsy!  This is one of the contradictive facts of this crazy disease!

Yet what determines how bad out disease is then?   Our blood tests and any kind of organ damage.   If your doctors are not turning green, red and white nor jumping sumersaults all around you, then BE AT PEACE you do NOT have any kind of aggressive form of masto.  Aggressive masto patients are easy to spot!  Their tryptase is way, way higher than yours, up into the 300s at least.  They also have major anemia and other issues with their CBCs.  The doctors go screaming after these patients for it's a most obvious medical emergency.   Shocked   So, if your doctors don't look like that face when they see you CALM DOWN you're not going anywhere!

Now, yes, they are rightly concerned and they should be.  You're sick!  You've just never encountered the face of a doctor who is looking at someone with a disease before and that face is the face they reserve for serious illness.   The first time my doctor raised his suspicions to me it was hard not to choke cause he was talking tumors as well as masto!  Then to have to face the oncologist was real fun, but after having been put into the ICU with a huge scare, I guess getting the news that I had real illness here was kind of a relief in comparison - it was the confirmation we were looking for, actually.  

Anyway, if your CBCs are all normal and pretty, then RELAX youīre not in a bad spot.  Your tryptase is only slightly elevated which is GOOD.  The tryptase measures the burden of the MCs within your blood and with it being so low, youīre in as good of a spot as you can be with this disease, so keeping your triggers down helps keep the disease under control and hopefully will help keep that tryptase low.  

You know Jodi, youīve been sick for a long, long time and had to suffer with all of these symptoms for all that time, with nobody ever paying attention or knowing what you had.  Youīve gone through a lot of long-term suffering.   I know there is nothing that seems worthy of being thankful for, but yet you should be that FINALLY itīs out in the open so that now your doctor can treat it and help you find relief!  I am positive that you are going to be so thankful that finally your doctor knows what is wrong for you will now begin to feel better than you have in years!

So, donīt go giving away anything or writing out any wills, you are NOT going anywhere!  Youīd have been gone LONG ago if that were the case!

So RELAX, you are in good hands and your doctor seems to know what heīs doing and will do his best, Iīm sure!

let us know how it all goes, okay?!

Hugs

Lisa

IP Logged

juju
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 11/30/11 at 05:26:40

Lisa, thank you so much for all of your positive notes of advice, they are much appreciated !!!  I did however go on with all of my testing, and thankfully I came through with absolutely no reactions .  My Dr. told me that all my blood work (cbc) came back normal.  My kidney and liver function tests came back normal.  My tryptase was still elevated at 24.  He was sending all my bloodwork and bmb to mayo for diagnostics.  He said although he has treated 3 patients with different mast cell dissorders, if he has any questions he will just send me to mayo to make sure I am diagnosed properly.  He said once proper diagnosis is made that he will then be able to figure out a  treatment for me.  I am so thankful to have a Dr. that will do what ever it takes to make sure I have the proper diagnosis and treatment, instead of one that think he knows everthing and would take matters into his own hands.  He is not affraid to let me know that this is a very hard disorder to properly diagnose.  Now I have lots of reading to do on this site to properly inform myself on my disorder so I can take better care of myself.  Also I tried to make a copy of the emergency protocall that I should carry with me but it will not copy,  only spits out blank pages ??  How can I copy this ? ~Jodi~

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 11/30/11 at 07:39:31

Hmmm, lately I have not been hearing great reports on how Mayo deals with Masto patients. You would be much better off to go to Boston and see Dr. Akin or Dr. Castells.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #10 - 11/30/11 at 09:44:36

You might try the website:   tmsforacure.org  and see if theirs will print.  I don't know why you couldn't get it to print here.  Or you might be able to copy it into a word processing program and try to print it that way.

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #11 - 11/30/11 at 12:35:06

Jodi,

If you send me your email, I'll send you a copy of the protocols.  

As to the Mayo.  The Mayo is not good if you don't have a classic case of SM, period!    Jodi, if your case is a classic case, which it may just be with that tryptase, then the Mayo will do the job nicely.   However, if you have to invest money to go there, then I would not invest it there and would ask your doctor to refer you to Drs. Akin or Castells instead and go there.  I've heard of too many people who did not fulfill the SM criteria in some manner who came away feeling very disappointed because they came away totally empty handed.  They are really sticklers about fulfilling that criteria to the letter and this is the problem.   So, although your doctor is confident, and again, with that tryptase you have a case which indicates that you will find the MC aggregates, but if you don't fulfill any of the other criteria then you will also walk away empty handed.

Your doctor sounds really good, Jodi!!  He's a definite KEEPER!!    Smiley

Lisa

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Reply #12 - 12/01/11 at 23:56:42

Jodi,
  I too had tryptase levels about your range (19-21) other tests were normal.Was worried about SM but bmb was negative for any markers(ckit/cd 25).I did see Dr Akin last month who stated there were extra mast cells in my bone marrow and said I had MCAS-and that there is a subgroup of MCAS patients who have elevated tryptase levels(most do not).

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 12/02/11 at 05:25:56

After reading Shabrans post- Im confused (ok, Im always confused).
If her BMB was negative for Sytemic Masto, but incraesed mast cell showed MCAS- thats mast cell actrivation syndrome ?- what is the difference betwween SM & MCAS ? I should know by now, but my brain doesnt retain stuff like it used to. Right now my allergist says Cutaneous Masto, my fam. dr. says C.U.; and I havent had the BMB done yet.
enlighten me Gurus ? So I still have TMEP too...?Can Ya have all of these together ? Im so confused.
lori

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #14 - 12/02/11 at 06:01:04

Lori,

A truly NORMAL, healthy person does not have their tryptase raise above 0.9ng!    Anything above this is being caused by some kind of disease.  Aortic aneurysms have been found to raise it up to 2.5ng.  A few other diseases will take it up to about 10, but ONLY systemic mastocytosis will take it above 20ng, which is why that is the level that they set for the diagnostic level.   However, itīs considered the "normal"  ranges up to 13ng because up until recently, there was no RECOGNIZED disease which could be diagnosed with a lower level of tryptase and since there are one or two other conditions which will elevate tryptase levels, they choose not to consider anything below 13 as "abnormal"  or in other words, they canīt pin down any other disease to anything lower than 13 for itīs found in a few conditions.  

Now that they have begun studying MCAS, this will change what they consider as "normal"   but since anaphylaxis can raised tryptase levels and get them up into the 40s or 50s this is why doctors do two readings on us, that of a baseline and that of a crisis situation.  The tryptase taken in crisis indicates anaphylaxis whereas if that is a baseline - a normal, everday reading, then this is what bugs their eyes out for this means you have chronic release of tryptase from your mast cells.  

Now, this comment of shabrans is understandable in regards to what Dr. Akin was saying here.   I understand it because of what Dr. Escribano said to me.  

The tryptase has been correlated to that of the MC burden within the marrow.  The higher the "burden"  or number of MCs within the marrow, the higher the tryptase levels.  My tryptase is 4.6ng.  Not a single doctor would ever say masto with this unless they knew about MCAS.  MCAS has only been recently recognized as a possible form of masto all of its own, but since they are still unsure, they donīt know yet if this is an individual form, or if itīs a pre-SM form.  The final word is still out on this.   We know in my case that the neoplasm is there, but itīs so very hard to find, for either my disease is in its infancy still and this is why we canīt find it, or Iīve got a different form from SM and my form is way too slow growing to show itself.  

Regardless of the form, with a tryptase this low, my MC burden is very low.  

You see, we go back to the theories about the forms.  They now know that ALL MC disorders are genetic in nature.  Depending upon the defect, it seems that this will influence as to what form you have - whether it goes clonal or not.  Some forms seem to be more aggressive than others and this may be what determines the degree of the MC disorder you have.   But because theyīve not yet proven all of this, it remains only theories and itīs going to take more time and energy to find those answers Lori.

So, shebans BMB didnīt show any MC aggregates.  Neither did mine.  However, she showed a higher amount of MCs within her marrow than is normal - it didnīt show a high enough number to diagnose SM, which is why Dr. Akin gave her the MCAS diagnosis.   In other words, she did not meet up to the established level of requirements for SM, but it did not rule out a mast cell disorder which is why she was diagnosed with MCAS.  

Understand now?

Donīt worry about the confusion nor that of asking questions.  This is how it is for ALL OF US!!   Weīre working with some really complex things here Lori and even doctors donīt understand it all.    This is why we all try to help one another out so much for we have the right to understand.   Itīs not an issue of having the capacity to learn Lori.  We do.  And since we have the same right to learn about this as doctors do, we try to educate one another.   We just donīt have the right to make the same calls and decisions that doctors do, this we canīt do.  Itīs a matter of career choices, Lori and I chose to study in the area of Education which is where my degrees are from.  Doctors chose medicine.   But we all have the capacity to understand it if we want to and itīs just a matter of sitting down and investing yourself.   With time the Greek becomes less Greeky and it begins to make more sense.  

Keep asking questions, youīll catch on!

one more word, however.  Although we can all learn, I must say, those doctors who become experts and authorities truly have an intelligence that Iīm jealous of for itīs not enough to study, it takes a capacity to think further on and gain insight and understanding where none exists!!!   Good bless those men and women for their dedication!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print